• Software
  • Suggestions for VST to Add Sheen to Tracks ? (p.2)
2018/04/15 17:06:45
bitflipper
I have used Warmifier. It was a staple for years. But being essentially a tube emulator it's got a fairly limited palette compared to more versatile exciters that have come along since. Chances are you've already got third-order harmonic distortion covered via your amp sim. What you want is to add distortion to high frequencies in particular, so you probably want to look at multi-band exciters.

There's an affordable one from Audiority that combines multi-band overdrive with a limiter. I tried it awhile back but it must not have been terribly impressive, as I don't recall much about it. There is a demo, though.

Another (free) approach is the DIY homebrew method: clone the guitar track, put a high-pass filter on the clone followed by whatever distortion plugin you like. Mix that back in with the original to taste. Try adding a subtle chorus or modulated reverb to the parallel track.
2018/04/15 18:14:54
SonicExplorer
Thanks guys.  bitflipper, I just ran across this new Voxengo plugin...is this maybe the type of thing you are referring to?   http://www.voxengo.com/product/shinechilla/
2018/04/16 17:31:50
bitflipper
I haven't tried that one. So far I've never found a need for that fine a control, usually applying only 2 or 3 bands with the multiband exciters I use. Definitely worth downloading the demo, I think.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account