• Computers
  • Acronis v Western Digital -> NAS drive
2016/05/28 07:40:12
Glyn Barnes
Prompted by Bitflipper's woes I have just purchased a 6TB Western Digital MyCloud NAS drive which will be in a different building to my computers.

I have always used Acronis to make a C drive image and file backups of data to USB drives.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with Western Digital backup software. At the moment I an considering continuing with Acronis on the USB drives and using WD's software for the NAS drive so I have two backups in different formats.
2016/05/28 08:52:53
fireberd
The WD backup software I've seen is a custom version Acronis. 

My own experience with Acronis True Image has not been good.  It failed me twice trying to do restores from "verified" backups.  It didn't get a third chance and I now use Macrium Reflect (paid version).

2016/05/28 12:57:12
Thedoccal
Another vote for macrium Reflect here.  Free version.  Cloned a C drive with three partitions to a new larger drive keeping the same three partitions.  Worked.  I'm going to do it again and clone the same C drive to an SSD.  Next week.  Will report the results.
2016/05/28 13:16:07
fireberd
I would use "Image" rather than "Clone" for the SSD.  When you clone a drive you get everything, the good data and bad data/sectors.  With an Image you just get the "good" data.

I tried clone (before I knew what it did) on a new Samsung EVO 850, 500GB SSD when I switched from a conventional hard drive (Win 8.1).  I used the cloning program provided by Samsung and it failed.  I tried the clone in Macrium Reflect and it failed.  I tried two other cloning programs and it failed.  I did an Image (all disc partitions) of the drive and restored to the new SSD and worked perfectly.   We had a discussion about Clone on the Windows 7 forum with a couple of the "gurus" there.  Conclusion was Clone is a hit or miss - works for some and not for others.
2016/05/28 14:12:06
JonD
fireberd
I would use "Image" rather than "Clone" for the SSD.  When you clone a drive you get everything, the good data and bad data/sectors.  With an Image you just get the "good" data....

Plus, with clone you need a free partition.  Even it it worked 100% of the time, seems like wasted space IMO, as opposed to images, which you can "collect" in a folder.
2016/05/29 14:01:10
Glyn Barnes
Thanks. I will look into Macrium. I like the idea of haveing two backup using two independent software packages, one on the NAS drive and one on a USB drive. If the WD software is basically Acronis there will be less redundancy.

2016/05/30 10:06:57
steveo42
Add me to the list of happy Macrium users. I too had a nasty experience with Acronis. Never again.
2016/05/30 10:49:07
Glyn Barnes
Any experience with the Windows 10 tools - someone is asking here http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3425130

2016/05/30 16:47:19
kitekrazy1
Never had problems with Acronis. 
2016/05/31 16:33:46
Glyn Barnes
I have the demo of Macrium installed.  At first glance it looks pretty good at images if a little more complex that Arcronis, I need to investigate the folder/file backup further, I will be checking the videos on their website.

I am running a image of the 1TB drive with my Kontakt libraries to the NAS drive overnight to see how it goes. Says it will take 15 hours.

Do you use it just for drive images, or for file backups as well. Any opinions on Incremental / Differential backups? I usually made fresh backups each time with Acronis.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account