2015/02/17 15:32:08
letyourlightshine
stevec
This topic has come up before, a few times, and the CW folks made it pretty clear there are no plans for MAC version of SONAR.  It'd be a total rewrite from the ground up and with a limited scope of business to be had with Logic, PT, DP and all the rest already taking up long-term residence.  

Besides, with the way things are rolling right now... well, actually since X3 was released, I personally would not want to see them changing direction - things are starting to get really good...

To me this is not a pc vs mac thing,I honestly am tired of that.The computer is a tool,I received the mac as a gift,and I cannot return it.It has more ram and is faster than my older PC.Cannot buy a new PC right now.Thats it.
2015/02/17 15:33:38
letyourlightshine
mdages
Install Windows native on the Apple computer, so you'll have the good Apple hardware combined with a sonar friendly os.

Cant get bootcamp to work,bought parallel desktop and the issues of having to install NI Komplete 10 ultimate twice and trying to figure out how to use samples on sonar in the VM and the samples on the mac side have left me frustrated right now.
2015/02/17 15:50:51
dwardzala
You might try posting your issue in the main sonar forum (getting Sonar to work on a mac using parallel desktop).  Someone has probably solved this one for you already and can lend assistance.
2015/03/18 00:00:30
YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
A Mac version would no doubt require the addition of at least 10 new employees to adapt code, oversee compilation, test, and support. That is a least a half million dollars a year. And would require a completely different forum site for FREE support. And so on.

I do hope CW grows to this size. It would make Sonar truly the best DAW on earth. Fur Shur, after it fixes a big bunch of other stuff, and adds another bunch of stuff.
2015/03/28 18:51:26
letyourlightshine
YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
A Mac version would no doubt require the addition of at least 10 new employees to adapt code, oversee compilation, test, and support. That is a least a half million dollars a year. And would require a completely different forum site for FREE support. And so on.

I do hope CW grows to this size. It would make Sonar truly the best DAW on earth. Fur Shur, after it fixes a big bunch of other stuff, and adds another bunch of stuff.

I appreciate that,but then 10 more people have jobs,people can use it native on mac,and use it on mac and sonar will have more credibility,they just will.I am not dissing sonar,nor windows so please do not be argumentative,this is for everyone,I am tired of arguments)
2015/03/28 20:20:39
Rain
As much as I'd like to see it for personal reasons, I don't think it'd be a wise decision. Considering that this is a niche market and that it's already very crowded, it wouldn't make much sense financially.

Every Mac comes with a DAW software (that's actually not the toy some people assume it is), and you can get Logic for $225. How do you compete with such a powerhouse at such a bargain price?

Big studio run Pro Tools no matter what. They won't switch to Sonar or anything else any time soon, so there's no point in seeking "credibility" there. Hollywood composers and the likes, all those folks with more or less fame attached to their name usually have a set up that allows them to pump out music w/o wasting time.

They are often quite reluctant to learn a new DAW, because, well, they're busy earning a life making music.

And why would they do otherwise? Logic, Digital Performer, Cubase already provide top notch solutions. Not only that, but these all have the one feature that Cakewalk couldn't care less for - proper notation. 

Other than that, unless you're offering something different, such as Live! or Reason, you're fighting an uphill battle.

The only people I've seen who had interest for something like Sonar on Mac are ex-Sonar users now working on Mac. That's the only semi-serious potential market I see.

Think about it... MOTU, who's always been 100% Mac since over 30 years ago, with zero interest in PC finally made the move and came up with a PC version of Digital Performer last year. What this tells me is that the Mac market just wasn't enough anymore.

Cakewalk is doing the right thing. The rich and famous market presents virtually no opportunity for them. 

2015/03/30 14:35:10
LJB
+1 for Mac.
2015/03/30 15:45:03
bapu
-1 for Mac

It would serve me no purpose and probably diminish the effort on my Windows based DAW for at least 3 years while it was developed.
2015/03/30 15:50:51
bapu
Rain has the right of it.
2015/03/30 23:30:14
Doktor Avalanche
Makes me laugh... I can't afford another PC nor will I run bootcamp so will somebody else spend hundreds of thousands of dollars (might even be million) developing and supporting software for me so I don't have to buy a new PC. Dream on!

And when people are making reasonable points (nothing to do with PC vs Mac tribalism) they are deemed 'arguementative'. And yet the initial poster makes a point that a Mac version would make Sonar more 'credible' as though developing for the PC isn't.

Even if production began today your Mac will be on it's last legs before it got released. However it will not happen.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account