2016/01/22 04:05:18
Mannymac
It would be great if the FX Bin could have an Automatic Gain Compensation in the style of Ian Shepherd's Perception Plugin.

The way this could work is that there is a button next to the FX Bin on/off labelled AGC.

It would calculate the loudness/gain before the sound goes into the FX Bin and then after all the processing calculate what goes out of it and then manually compensate for gain loss or increase.

No other DAW has this but it would be oh so useful for mixing and make Sonar even more unique :)
2016/01/22 05:52:05
Chandler
I agree. This would be a great idea. Only a few plugins have this and it would be great to have this feature built into the DAW so people aren't fooling themselves with loudness.
2016/01/22 08:02:57
gswitz
Interesting idea. Most places I have access to something like this... RME TotalMix or some effects... I find it causes unpredictable volume fluctuations.

I have sometimes used an auto level feature to keep the level into a compressor warm. This works fine as long as performance is constant. But if the acoustic guitar goes quiet, you just have nicely compressed ambient noise added to the mix. I find it hard to handle live. I might allow 3 to 6 dB with a slow attack, but that's my limit.

Having gain auto compensated on the other side of an effect chain could give the illusion that you properly set effects when that might not be the case.

It probably would be useful for comparing effects bypassed vs on.
2016/01/22 13:25:22
Mannymac
That's exactly the idea. No more being fooled by EQ boosts or wrong make up gain in compressors.
2016/01/22 20:38:45
Leadfoot
Cool idea!
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account