• Computers
  • Finally joined the SSD club. Wasn't easy though.
2016/04/29 19:58:23
kitekrazy1
 I got an Intel 480gb at Newegg for $129.  After putting it in then the BIOS seem to almost freeze. Formatted the drive and let Acronis do it's job.  I was going to use Intel's data transfer but installing the software gave an error.  I found out that the problem was I already had Acronis 2016 and it seems most data transfer software for drives is made by Acronis.
 I did it the daring way without making an image first. Everything turned out OK.  The major issue was I had to reactivate some software.  That may have been due to my OS was on a 1TB drive.

The boot up time is incredible. My Intel system use to boot on the slow side while never having any performance issues running. It was like running XP with Gigastudio.
2016/05/02 11:35:25
Starise
Congrats on a successful swap!
2016/05/02 12:43:29
mettelus
Congrats... is a night/day difference in the boot up. If you have not already, be sure to research the things not to do with an SSD (no defrags, et al.) and move the Windows Indexing file off the SSD (it defaults to the C drive, if used; I actually disabled mine completely).
2016/05/03 19:21:54
kitekrazy1
My i7 4790 booted slower than my AMD FX6300 rig until now.  I may get a SanDisk 240gb for my AMD system since they are under $70. I had to change some other things to reduce disk writing since it is a daily/DAW/gaming rig.
2016/05/03 21:13:02
arachnaut
I have installed Windows 10 on three systems which had a rotational hard drive and were converted to SSD.
The method I used was to make an Acronis disk image of the boot drive onto another drive, remove the boot drive, insert the SSD, and then boot the Acronis rescue media. Initialize the SSD in Acronis boot software and restore the original disk image. Makes sure you restore the disk signature so that the drive looks identical. No software would then see the drive as anything but the original, so you should not have to fuss with software locks, etc.

The tricky part is that most of these disk drives were larger than the SSD, so I first had to shrink the OS partition to fit the size of the new SSD before doing the install.

If you have trouble with the MS disk shrink, use Acronis Disk Director to do the shrink. Make it a little smaller than the SSD and after you restore you can expand the partition to use the unallocated SSD space.

I use the Sandisk Extreme Pro 900GB SSD which has a 10 year warranty. I've used about 700 GB (mostly my sample libraries which take up over 400GB)

All the stress tests reports that I've found show that normal people don't need to worry about the lifespan of SSDs so you don't need to do anything special (like move swap or indexing files to another partition, etc.).

I've had this for over a year and the Lifetime indicator on the SSD Dashboard utility from Sandisk shows 100% life remaining, 99% available provisioning space and 4.8 TB written / 77 TB read. It seems to be very solid and sample loads are really fast.
2016/05/03 23:37:54
kitekrazy1
I didn't shrink my drive and that may have been the reasons some software had to be reauthorized. Outside of my SSD I now have a total of 4.5 TB of storage. It is possible to use a majority of it.
 Acronis has not failed me yet.
2016/05/05 13:16:09
kitekrazy1
Upgrading my other system to a Sandisk 240GB Pro. While not as powerful as my Intel system I should mess around with some DAW work on it.
2016/05/24 22:00:21
Thedoccal
"The major issue was I had to reactivate some software."

Do you remember which company's?

I know I will have to transfer my Waves licenses to a USB stick.  But I am not sure about:

Toontrack
Arturia
Native Instruments
or any other plugs that generated a "Machine ID" during the registration process.  I think Toontrack and Arturia did...but I don't remember.

I'm cloning the C drive and forgot all about this possibility.  I put the old C back in for the moment till I figure out which others besides Waves to plan for.

2016/05/24 22:00:21
Thedoccal
"The major issue was I had to reactivate some software."

Do you remember which company's?

I know I will have to transfer my Waves licenses to a USB stick.  But I am not sure about:

Toontrack
Arturia
Native Instruments
or any other plugs that generated a "Machine ID" during the registration process.  I think Toontrack and Arturia did...but I don't remember.

I'm cloning the C drive and forgot all about this possibility.  I put the old C back in for the moment till I figure out which others besides Waves to plan for.

2016/05/24 22:31:26
abacab
Congrats! I found that upgrading to SSD made my PC stupid fast! :-D

I helped a friend build a new PC a few months ago, and recommended he try SSD. I couldn't believe how fast it was (jealous), so I ordered one as soon as I got home!

I used a Samsung EVO 850 250GB, along with the included migration software. I do not recall having any authorization issues with any installed software after the swap.

Could any issues be due to the disk migration method? There seems to be various ways to do it, that could affect the UUID?

http://www.nextofwindows....tify-a-windows-machine

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account