• Computers
  • Finally joined the SSD club. Wasn't easy though. (p.2)
2016/05/24 23:23:37
kitekrazy1
Thedoccal
"The major issue was I had to reactivate some software."

Do you remember which company's?

I know I will have to transfer my Waves licenses to a USB stick.  But I am not sure about:

Toontrack
Arturia
Native Instruments
or any other plugs that generated a "Machine ID" during the registration process.  I think Toontrack and Arturia did...but I don't remember.

I'm cloning the C drive and forgot all about this possibility.  I put the old C back in for the moment till I figure out which others besides Waves to plan for.

No to the above.   IK and Live for sure. Waves was no problem.  
2016/05/24 23:28:34
kitekrazy1
abacab
Congrats! I found that upgrading to SSD made my PC stupid fast! :-D

I helped a friend build a new PC a few months ago, and recommended he try SSD. I couldn't believe how fast it was (jealous), so I ordered one as soon as I got home!

I used a Samsung EVO 850 250GB, along with the included migration software. I do not recall having any authorization issues with any installed software after the swap.

Could any issues be due to the disk migration method? There seems to be various ways to do it, that could affect the UUID?

http://www.nextofwindows....tify-a-windows-machine

I used Acronis. What can cause a reactivation issue is change of size on the OS drive.  I had this issue years ago when the average OS drive on an XP system was 160 or 250GB.  When the 500GB drives were affordable I'd upgrade and have to reactivate software.
2016/05/26 09:53:59
kitekrazy1
BTW just found out you will have to reactivate your Melda plugins.
2016/05/26 10:41:33
fireberd
You shouldn't have to reactivate Windows.  I've upgraded both my Win 7 and Win 8 (now upgraded to Win 10) to Samsung EVO SSD's. I did have to reactivate one of my recording VST's (don't remember which) but that was all.   The key is to IMAGE the entire hard drive - all partitions (assuming the actual data is smaller than the SSD size) and then do a Restore to the SSD.  There are Clone options but Clone is iffy - may work for one person and not another, but the Image seems to be OK for all.  Another reason not to use Clone is it copies the entire drive, corrupted data, and bad sectors to the new SSD.  You don't want the corrupted data or bad sectors.  A couple of our "guru's" on the Win 7 forum did some testing with Clones, using several different clone programs, including those in Acronis and Macrium (and several others) and found the Clone failed more than it didn't and their conclusion was that it was a "hit or miss" on getting a successful clone.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account