• Computers
  • Windows Home vs Pro for new DAW PC (p.2)
2016/05/25 03:17:34
Sycraft
The simple answer is don't worry about it. For anything you do at home, the Home edition of Windows will do fine. Pro will also work fine, as it is a superset of Home, there is no feature in Home that is not also in Pro. It just costs more. So the Home version isn't better for a DAW, it is just not worse in any way. They are equal.

That graphic on Pro is 100% incorrect. I run Pro on my system and DX12 and Xbox controllers work fine. I'm not talking theoretically either, I have a DX12 card and I've run DX 12 software on it, and my Xbox Eilte controller is my favourite controller to use. Also Windows Defender is included in Pro and is enabled by default (personally I'd get a different virus scanner).

The only possible limit you could hit, and then only realistically in theory, is RAM. Home is limited to 128GB, Pro allows 2TB. That really is a non-issue as even the high end X99 boards only support 128GB, and normal desktops cap out at 32GB or 64GB. That aside, even if your system did support it, you probably wouldn't elect to put that much RAM in a system. Your P67 board supports 32GB max.

If you have a free license for Pro, go for it, there's nothing wrong with it. All the additional features are optional and are either off by default, or can be turned off. If you are paying, get Home as there's no reason to blow $80-100 more for Pro.
2016/05/25 07:49:48
tomixornot
Agreed. Pro can't be any less than Home. The column (for the lesser feature) must meant for the mobile version.

I think here is one advantage of Pro to us DAW users to be able to hold off updates during a busy session and at the same time connected to the internet :

source : http://blog.cakewalk.com/...s-10-music-production/

WINDOWS 10 AUTO UPDATES

There is a somewhat controversial change to how Windows update works in WIndows 10.
For Windows 10 Home users, there is no way to turn off automatic updates and they will be mandatory.
Windows 10 Pro users will have a little flexibility; they’ll be able to switch from the mainstream release to the “Current Branch for Business (CBB).”
This will give some control over when updates are deployed.
While the CBB will essentially track the consumer release, it will allow feature updates to be held back for some amount of time so you can prepare for the update.
Windows 10 Enterprise is the only OS for which users will be able to actually turn off Windows updates. By opting for the Long Term Servicing (LTS) branch, Enterprise users will be able to defer feature updates for years, electing to receive only security fixes during that time.
2016/05/25 09:28:27
bitflipper
In terms of hardware support (RAM, disks, Firewire, USB, etc.), Home is perfectly adequate for a DAW. But I would still go with Pro. There's no risk, as you're only getting some extra features you may never need. The upgrade is free now but if you do Home now and change your mind later you'll have to pay for it. 

2016/05/25 12:37:23
Jim Roseberry
Since you bought Win8 Pro, your upgrade to Win10 will also be Pro.
For most end users, there's no effective difference between Win10 Home and Pro.

One small advantage to Pro:
There's a registry tweak to "Prompt that Windows updates are available" (but to disable automatic download)
2016/05/26 01:27:34
thomasabarnes
Jim Roseberry
There's a registry tweak to "Prompt that Windows updates are available" (but to disable automatic download)

Hi Jim:

I was wondering if you could share that registry tweak?

I know of a setting under Settings>Update & Security>Advanced Options to "defer upgrades," but I would like to have control and be able to disable automatic downloads.
2016/05/26 11:12:16
bitflipper
That may be the best argument for Pro. Not only can you defer updates, you can also specify the time of day that Windows checks for updates so as to avoid starting downloads during a DAW session. They don't make it easy anymore, but it can still be done. 

For Home users, one option is to disable the network during tracking sessions. Under XP, I used a batch file that killed/re-enabled the network. I suppose you could even replace your normal SONAR shortcut with a batch file that killed the network and then started SONAR. If you ever needed the net during a DAW session, e.g. to activate a new plugin, you'd just use the normal shortcut instead.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account