2016/05/28 18:44:02
dcmg
Thinking of retiring my old Antec Sonata with my new system. Similar mid tower size is probably fine ( 1SSD, 2 traditional drives, DVD drive, 3-5 USB devices connected to system).

Any good or bad experiences with current crop of cases (and power supplies for that matter) ?

FWIW, I've been reasonably happy with this early generation of Sonata, so the current model would be a contender.
Thanks in advance!
2016/05/29 10:42:37
omasse
Very satisfy with my Fractal Design R4.

Lot of space and silent.
2016/05/29 14:51:45
Amicus717
If you current Sonata is still solid and doesn't have any broken or loose bits, you may want to keep using it. I have a Sonata myself, and its a great case. I considered upgrading when I built my most recent system, but the newer cases I looked at -- while very nice -- didn't offer anything that my Sonata didn't already provide. Maybe just swap out the fans for new ones, and get a new power supply?...
2016/05/29 16:46:01
dcmg
Amicus717
If you current Sonata is still solid and doesn't have any broken or loose bits, you may want to keep using it. I have a Sonata myself, and its a great case. I considered upgrading when I built my most recent system, but the newer cases I looked at -- while very nice -- didn't offer anything that my Sonata didn't already provide. Maybe just swap out the fans for new ones, and get a new power supply?...

That's a fair point; must admit I read the specs of the new Sonata and had a similar thought. I've replaced my PS once but I believe I'm right on the line ( I have an Antec 450 watt, Newegg's calculator says I should have at least 475).

Maybe some fresh cooling fans and a PS with a little headroom might be all that's needed. Thanks for the input.
2016/05/30 16:54:38
kitekrazy1
Amicus717

I agree with this. Change the power supply.  Cases are something I rarely upgrade unless it's a new build. Taking everything out and putting it in a new case always gives a remote chance of messing up some hardware.
2016/05/31 07:30:41
patm300e
Amicus717

+1 I agree the Sonata is still a very solid quiet case!
2016/05/31 11:50:46
kitekrazy1
 I have a could of "gamer" cases, the kind where they have lots of holes and you can mount 72 fans.  They are in a 10x12 room with ceramic tile.  I never do external recording but if I did it would probably be the closest thing to hell.
2016/06/01 10:19:54
dcmg
Thanks for the input everyone. Decided to do exactly that: bought a new 550 watt power supply so I've got a little headroom ( I've never had the "modular" design before, seems like a nice development for keeping the case uncluttered).
Other than the front door having come of years ago, the Sonata is still in good shape so no real need to retire it just yet.
Thanks again for the input!
2016/06/01 17:05:05
patm300e
Yep, my door came off too. I just leave it off.
2016/06/01 20:35:39
Amicus717
patm300e
Yep, my door came off too. I just leave it off.

And mine! I find it doesn't change the sound profile of the case, really. Everything else about my Sonata is still rock solid.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account