• Software
  • Sound Forge Pro 12 Released (p.2)
2018/04/05 16:44:33
msorrels
So I installed the 30 day trial.  Couldn't get it through a full scan of my 64bit VST2 plugins.  Kept hanging, even after killing their scanning processing.  Ended up removing the VST2 path and had it just scan my VST3 plugins.  That also hanged a few times, but did finally make it through.  Kind of disappointing, but not a surprise really. 

It appears pretty close to SF 9.  Some of the UI is slightly different (perhaps changes already in SF 11) but nothing all that drastic.  Other than the 64bit plugins it doesn't appear to be all that different.  I'm sure there are things but by and large $200 for a 64bit port seems a bit high.   I think I'm going to stick with SF9 (and Adobe Audition CC which I don't have much choice about and RX6's editor which is actually pretty decent).  I wonder if they hadn't had the blow out sales if they would have had resonable upgrade pricing.

Now I guess I have to wait for Acid 8 to drop and see if it's viable.  Somehow I'm thinking the whole Sonic Foundry line is dead to me.
2018/04/05 16:48:40
wst3
I do love Sound Forge as an audio editor, I did not like Sony's upgrade policies, and stopped at V9. I still use it unless I need access to an x64 or VST3 plugin, at which time I switch over to Wavelab. I like Wavelab too, and have run (and upgraded) both in parallel for years and years. Each has it's special features, but for speed it is SF by a mile.

I will probably give the SF12 trial a spin, I am curious to see what they've done. I'd love to rid of all my x86 plugins too. But not for $200. I'll wait.
2018/04/05 18:01:12
AT
The idea reminds me of Heavyocity - they come out w/ great but expensive products.  I wait until they have a 1/2 priced sale to pick up my version.  I got SONAR 11 w/ Samplitude, so I am set w/ Sony/Majix until they make me a deal I can't refuse.
2018/04/05 18:05:40
scook
AT
  I got SONAR 11 w/ Samplitude, so I am set w/ Sony/Majix until they make me a deal I can't refuse.

Ditto with the X3 Suite + SoundLayer. I might consider an SF12 and SoundLayer 5 upgrade bundle for $199 but that is my upper limit. More likely if I get both it will be for far less.
2018/04/06 04:03:32
BRainbow
I use SF 11 Pro on every project, but I never use any external plug-ins on it (just the SF tools and the included iZotope Mastering Bundle).   I was really looking forward to this release, but now I am asking myself why I would need it.  

Even assuming the upgrade price doesn't bother me, does anyone see any benefit whatsoever if I am not using plug-ins?  (I already have all the latest full version iZotope stuff).

Thanks.
2018/04/06 11:20:17
msorrels
From the online help for version 12:

What's new in version 12?

64bit program version
    Full VST3 support
    New cleaning and audio restauration functions: Declicker/Decrackler, DeClipper and DeHisser
    New multi band compressor Wave Hammer 2.0
    Bit rate conversion dithering with high-quality POW-r algorithm

And yes, they misspelled "restoration".
2018/04/06 11:51:26
mettelus
That is for people who get the munchies while mixing. :)
2018/04/06 17:20:08
bwbalint
      "New cleaning and "audio restauration" functions"
      Gives a whole new meaning to really bad gas after a bowl of Chilli's beans!  Must say this was great to read this AM!
2018/04/10 10:42:20
mudgel
Too much for upgrade.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account