2015/07/20 15:33:04
Susan G
Thanks to all for the excellent feedback, and esp. to David for his very informative review! I've decided to hold off buying it for now, but I'm sure I'll consider it again at a later date.

Thanks again-

-Susan
2015/07/20 16:30:02
dmbaer
jih64
Some may think you waited for a bunch of fixes to do your Review Advertisement, because that is what it comes across like to anyone who has been there from the start.

For the record, SoundBytes writers are volunteer computer music enthusiasts from around the world.  We do not make a cent on publication.  In fact, I personally pay the majority of the hosting costs.  All the writers contribute to the magazine because we simply really dig computer music production and enjoy writing about it.  Some of what we review (but not all) is vendor-supplied NFR software.  But our unofficial policy is that we choose to not write bad reviews about crappy software - there are too many good instruments and plug-ins that deserve attention, and too many small developers who merit coverage instead.  Your characterization of my review as being an "advertisement" is far from accurate.

As to the version I reviewed, it was the one available when I started to dig into the instrument.  I had prepared for the review by studying the manual (both old and Pro), but I didn't really start using the software to any extent until about two days before the latest release was posted, so obviously it made sense to use that for evaluation.
2015/07/20 16:32:09
dmbaer
AT
There are bad reviewers out there, dmbaer ain't one of them.

Thanks for the kind words, AT. 
2015/07/21 13:50:46
AT
Just the facts.  And not to rag on Jeff - he was correct about the early releases.  Still, I don't think most mags have room for such a break down and most users aren't interested in what was.  They are interested in what the synth (or other software) can do for them today.

And for the record, Jeff, I was pissed too.  And it was hard w/ SONAR wanting to do monthly updates and windows updates and the everlasting Win 10 icon - I didn't know what software to punch for a month or longer.  None of my stuff was working right and every update from Rapt to windows seemed to break something else.

@
2015/07/21 14:40:35
chad
Susan G
Hi-

I have DimPro and Rapture and one more day to take advantage of the $79 upgrade (this time around, at least.) I've watched the videos and read, I think, what there is to read about it, but I'm wondering if those who upgraded could comment on the benefits of RapPro over DimPro & Rapture.

Hi Susan,

Between the new sample content and the RPro Browser Page it is well worth the upgrade in my opinion.  The Search function can't be underestimated for handiness.  In the future I hope they also roll out a rating system or way to tag favorites within the Browser.  But for now being able to search Organs, Stings, or whatever is needed for a project helps save time tremendously. 

Susan G
I'm primarily but not exclusively interested in acoustic instrument simulations rather than pads, soundscapes, etc. I couldn't find a complete listing of the preset names, but that probably wouldn't tell me much anyway. I listened to the demos and they seemed geared more towards "electronic" music, to put it broadly.

There are many new acoustic additions that are not highlighted within the demos very well.  Just off the top of my head:

- A wonderful new Grand Piano from Chocolate Audio
- New Orchestral Instruments, Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, and Percussion
- Concert Grand Harp
- Organs
- Percussion Sets

The factory programs have fully taken advantage of all of the new content either, lots of room for program tweaking, combining, and customization.  Also hidden gems including new Multisample mappings that take advantage of Dimension Pro's factory library if anyone has looked inside the 'Dimension Combo Textures' folder (hint, hint).  You'll find hundreds of new .sfz mappings that combine and stack orchestral content from the original Dimension Pro factory library. 

I contributed to the RPro factory content so I may be slightly biased, but I do believe there is some great content in the Rapture Pro factory.  The current website demos only scratch the surface. 

Cheers,
Chad
2015/07/21 15:25:03
AT
Keep them hints coming, Chad.  You da man.

Do a sticky.
2015/07/23 02:52:01
Grem

AT

There are bad reviewers out there, dmbaer ain't one of them.

I will have to agree with this!!
2015/07/24 01:59:20
Susan G
chad
Hi Susan,

Between the new sample content and the RPro Browser Page it is well worth the upgrade in my opinion.  The Search function can't be underestimated for handiness.  In the future I hope they also roll out a rating system or way to tag favorites within the Browser.  But for now being able to search Organs, Stings, or whatever is needed for a project helps save time tremendously. 

There are many new acoustic additions that are not highlighted within the demos very well.  Just off the top of my head:

- A wonderful new Grand Piano from Chocolate Audio
- New Orchestral Instruments, Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, and Percussion
- Concert Grand Harp
- Organs
- Percussion Sets

The factory programs have fully taken advantage of all of the new content either, lots of room for program tweaking, combining, and customization.  Also hidden gems including new Multisample mappings that take advantage of Dimension Pro's factory library if anyone has looked inside the 'Dimension Combo Textures' folder (hint, hint).  You'll find hundreds of new .sfz mappings that combine and stack orchestral content from the original Dimension Pro factory library. 

I contributed to the RPro factory content so I may be slightly biased, but I do believe there is some great content in the Rapture Pro factory.  The current website demos only scratch the surface. 

Cheers,
Chad

Hi Chad-

That's very helpful, thanks!  I'll definitely take a closer look next time it goes on sale. Maybe the demos will be updated by then to highlight some of the acoustic additions, too, since they sound very appealing.

-Susan
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account