2015/12/22 01:10:54
letyourlightshine
If pro channel is nothing special,then why make it at all,and then sell expensive modules?It's obvious it's not a priority to have a lot of 3rd parry plugins as pro channel modules,or  too make new high quality emulations for pro channel..evidenced by the style dials.
I have had people tell me there is nothing special,algorithmically or sonically about pro channel.I can't confirm or deny,I don't want to believe that for sure.I don't know.
If that were true then I would be pissed 
I will now calm it down a tad...........

I thought sonar was to be a professional recording program ,although maybe that is not how they wan to market it.
Isn't though that what music creator is?A easy version for people who do not want to get in depth with music production?

Yes it is,so why make sonar kind of like that,it makes no sense,I'm sorry,like them if you want thats fine I'm not judging you,I just don't get it.
2015/12/22 04:42:42
azslow3
letyourlightshine
I thought sonar was to be a professional recording program ,although maybe that is not how they wan to market it.
Isn't though that what music creator is?A easy version for people who do not want to get in depth with music production?

I guess these knobs was thought primary for Creator, compare pictures from http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Music-Creator with http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR
But since both programs have the same code base, they have made the feature available in both. I find "Sonar is Creator plus many professional features" more logical then "Sonar is Creator minus some features".

stevec
I completely disagree - I use PC a good 90% of the time over FX Bins.  And I find them anything but illogical.   This topic was discussed a lot early in the X series, and it seems that most either like and use them or will never like or use them.   I'm in the former group.   Although, I haven't used any SDs yet...

a) one and only one EQ (the only reason is former Filter interface support)
b) strangeness with Compressor (again Filter interface)
c) normal FX can not be places directly there. I know the GUI will not fit into strip, but why not use "fly out"?
d) why PC modules can not be used as "normal" VST FXes? They could have EXACTLY the same (small) GUI as in strip in case bigger make no sense, just draw it with VST standard API (instead of crashing, what most PC modules do now...). If I understand it correctly, Music Creator has no Pro Channel. And they manage to draw the same knobs.

I do not understand why someone can find all that "logical".

I am not against PC, the idea is great. I just want CW implement it properly, make API open standard (that is just several lines of code) and so harvest more PC modules developers.

Also merging FX bin and ProChannel (so ProChannel is an advanced FX bin) will also extent the group of people which like it to the whole community.
2015/12/22 04:55:50
Leadfoot
azslow3

I am not against PC, the idea is great. I just want CW implement it properly, make API open standard (that is just several lines of code) and so harvest more PC modules developers.

Also merging FX bin and ProChannel (so ProChannel is an advanced FX bin) will also extent the group of people which like it to the whole community.

I think you should post this in the Features & Ideas forum. It's a great idea!
2015/12/22 06:52:09
azslow3
Leadfoot
azslow3

I think you should post this in the Features & Ideas forum. It's a great idea!

I have posted that long time ago: http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3123977

2015/12/22 08:51:41
letyourlightshine
Ok,clarification,I can see why novice users would like them.Its the seasoned sonar users that like them that confuse me.

But TO EACH THEIR OWN,IM NOT TRYING TO BE A JERK,HARD TO EXPLAIN THINGS PROPERLY FOR ME WITHOUT PERSONAL COMMUNICATION.
So please,please do not take my comment as me saying those who like them are dumb or somthing(I AM NOT SAYING THAT)
Its just an opinion and you know what they say about opinions,they are like [link=mailto:a@@@@@@@]a@@@@@@@[/link] ,everyone has one.

Have fun,make some music!

2015/12/22 09:15:19
letyourlightshine
Not sure why I got  -1.I made clear I wasn't judging those who don't agree with me,Its just my opinion.
2015/12/22 10:00:28
stevec
azslow3
c) normal FX can not be places directly there. I know the GUI will not fit into strip, but why not use "fly out"?

?  FX Chains have been PC-compatible since X2 and allow one to add normal VSTs anywhere in the PC chain, in a single scroll-able UI where everything is visible. 

That said, I "get" why some may not like the PC concept as it currently exists, I'm just not in that camp.   It's not really a right or wrong scenario but rather a completely subjective preference. 

2015/12/22 10:49:39
brconflict
I only used the PC before because the FX bin could only display 3-4 plug-ins. I pretty much never used the included plug-ins, not that they were bad at all, but when you own the venerable Waves plugs, you tend to be a little biased to use their modeling expertise. With that said, Waves thought it would be divine to create the One-Knob series plug-in themselves. Cakewalk is following that logic, and I'm betting it's better for those who are unsure how to get great sounding tracks quickly without fiddling with multiple plug-ins, or the seasoned mixers who just want to quickly try things. Leave the technical out and create. I don't mind that.

I do agree they are a bit cartoony, but not nearly as bad as X2's waveform color schemes. They certainly could look worse. When you place these side-by-side with the Waves offerings, you can see the comparable logic in look/feel. Craig was careful to not introduce these in the e-Mag as a Cakewalk invention. Nevertheless, he did a fabulous job of explaining how they can be useful.

I also agree with any implications that it would be nice to have them outside Sonar or the PC. I don't use the ProChannel, not because I don't like it, but because you have to un-hide it. Any new FX that Cakewalk introduces there collect dust on my desk, unfortunately. 
2015/12/25 14:54:00
bits2tubes
Soundwise
Speed Dials are put in a separate group. If you don't like it - just don't click there and you won't see any SD at all. I honestly don't know what's not to like about SDs. They are easy to use, do the job and look great. Well, there are better tools just as there are better composers, engineers and producers. So what?

Of couse you would like to see more pepole say they like them.  I think Ford would like to see more pepole like the Fuson.
My point is you wasting space, making the program look childess and making me feel stupid for selecting a porgram that has good features, then dumping kidding robot knobs right on top.  Why do they have to look the way they do? That's what I'm asking.  Can't they look like any other knob used in Sonar?  Would it hurt? Would Sonar not run right if the knobs looked different?
2015/12/25 15:29:52
Beepster
Uhh... the Style Dials were/are something for the Sonar "Artist" version users to have and use in the PC whereas before they had no PC at ALL.

I think that was a very nice gesture of Cake to make their base version a little cooler/more useable for Artist users while at the same time letting them into the Prochannel workflow without giving away the farm.

This wasn't about us spoiled rotten Platinum and Studio users. We just got them because the screeching would be horrendous if the base package users got them and we didn't.

Also the original intent of the Style Dials way back in the day were as "placeholder" effects that could be inserted during tracking or project building or whatever to do various things one would normally do with more complex effects in the final mix. Apparently they were popular and got revived and now we have newer effects based on the same premise.

They did not remove anything. You don't need to use them. I will likely try them, maybe... but I don't expect them to replace what I'd normally use (and AFAIK they actually use various plugins in the Sonar package like the FX Chains do).

What's the problem?

As far as how things "look"? Who gives a fart?

No one is going to "hear" how they look.

Yeesh.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account