• Features & Ideas
  • "Add Track Flyout" - Bakers, please catch these problems before they get baked in
2016/01/14 11:04:40
jpetersen
Assuming I have understood what "Add Track Flyout" does, I appeal to the bakers to catch these issues before release.

1. If I have a 100-track project, and track 3 is highlighted, and I use "Add Track Flyout" to add a track, I would want the track to be added UNDER the currently selected track, not way down at the bottom as track number 101.

2. If I have highlighted the last track in a folder and I use "Add Track Flyout", I would want the track to be added UNDER the currently selected track INSIDE the folder, not outside the folder (or, if there is another folder underneath, not as the first track of the next folder).

Issue 1 reflects the problem we have today with Insert Track.

Issue 2 reflects the issue we had with Clone Track, until the little code segment was added which, after the cloned track hs been incorrectly placed, then goes and fishes the cloned track out of the wrong position and back into the folder. In other words, the initial misplacement is still there.

---
User tenfoot pointed out:

I have just tested this in Lexington and the add tracks already works this way (though it inserts the new track above rather than below the selected track). It also inserts the track  intra folder if the selected track is contained within a folder.

---
My response:

If one inserts a track,
99% of the time one would want it UNDER the selected track.
1% of the time one would want it ABOVE the selected track.
0% of the time one would want it down at the bottom. (well, let's say very rarely)

EDIT:
A. If I insert with the Insert key, I get the 0% option.
B. If I insert with right-click/Insert Audio Track, I get the 1% option.

I just noticed this different behavior now because I usually use method A.
Why are they different? Most likely there's near-identical code in the two events
handling the menu and the hotkey, instead of having one single method being called from both.

Anyway, my appeal to the Bakers is to have a look since they plan to work on this area of the code anyway.
2016/01/14 14:56:28
jpetersen
User Atsuko pointed out:
"In my opinion, inserting ABOVE is better because it's easier when you want to insert a track #1. How do you do it when you want it in the first position if it inserted under the selected track?"

My response:
In the Flyout, add the option "Insert Above", default Deselected. (I think "Clone Track" already has this).
And for the hotkey variant, allow using Shift/Alt/Ctr+Insert for "Insert Above" (not sure which combination is free, am not at my DAW).
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account