2016/04/29 15:55:10
batsbrew
i had my current daw pc put together by a custom builder here in town, back in '08....

called him to tell him i wanted to upgrade my pc guts,
but he's gone...

looked around for someone else to do the build.....
several folk have told me to just do it myself.

i've never built a pc before.
i've installed sound cards before, and changed out drives, but that's it.

so, i need a bit of guidance...

pieces parts, yes, i can buy those on line, that's not the problem, knowing what i have...
and what i can easily change out for upgrade...and understanding compatability between what i want to keep and what i need to update......is my problem.

if any of you guru's have time to look at my current build, 
and tell me what you think is still compatible..
and what would easily retrofit, and what i would have to 'forget about', i'd appreciate it!

Current config:
  • Antec Solo Black/Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
  • LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model
  • Intel BOXDP35DPM LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • ASUS EN8400GS SILENT/HTP/256M GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
  • Thermaltake TR2 RX W0134RU 550W ATX12V Ver2.2 SLI Ready Modular Passive PFC PFC Power Supply
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400
  • CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400
  • (2) Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3400620AS 400GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drives
  • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP3 English
  • Maudio Audiophile 192 card
  • MultiCard reader
  • USB 2.0 connections (2 up front, 4 in back)

i'd like to keep the Maudio card, but i'll be moving to a USB-based interface soon after the pc upgrade.
the power supply is fine, the drives are fine, the case is fine, the graphics card is fine, the cd burner is fine..

so, i'm mostly looking to update:
the motherboard and chipset;
more Ram;
USB 3.0;
Windows 10 x64;

i'm not a power user,
do not use very much in terms of samples, other than superior drummer.

i think i'm looking at: 
ATX form factor
Z97 motherboards that offer USB3.1
Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4ghz (4 cores)
8GB RAM (dual-channel) - maybe 16gb, depending on cost

i'm currently not connected to the net with my machine,
i need to add a WIFI solution, either on the new motherboard, or as an add-on.

maybe updated my “C” drive with something like a Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB Internal SSD
2016/04/29 21:14:12
Acron
Why z97 and 4790k? I would rather go for z170 as it supports DDR4 and usb3.1.

If you are going to upgrade, this is what I would have done today (I'm waiting for Kaby lake or Cannonlake for my next build):

Asus z170-p 
Corsair V or HyperX F 16gb 2666mhz ddr4 ram (2x8gb)
i7 6700k (bundled or the i5 6600k if you want to keep the cost down)  
256 gb SSD for OS/Apps
usb 3 ac wireless11
win10

Power supply and graphics should be ok as long as you don't do gaming, videos or overclock. But due to age I wold consider changing the PSU to protect the new parts.

I would recommend to do a full new build.
2016/04/30 06:35:05
fireberd
"Must" you have Wi-Fi?  Wi-Fi is a know cause of audio problems, DPC Latency, pops clicks, etc.  If you must have Wi-Fi it must be disabled when using Sonar.  Also, most (just about all) new motherboards do not have a true PCI card slot/bus.  They may have a PCI card slot but not pure PCI bus, it is just a bridge to the PCIe bus and many PCI cards will not work or work properly with a PCI/PCIe bridged slot. 

The upgrade you mention may work, but why go with "old" technology?  If you are upgrading go with current technology hardware.
2016/04/30 13:05:27
Wookiee
Bat I would have a word with Jim Roseberry and check out StudioCat I suspect you will get a better PC in the end from him.  I tried to build my own last year but I could still not do better than three of the UK DAW builders.
Definitely think about an i7 quad core, 16 Gig of RAM should do you, a 500g SDD for your OS and Programs a 1Tb for your Audio and a 1 Tb for samples (superior drummer) and other stuff.

Best
2016/04/30 14:57:21
batsbrew
Acron
Why z97 and 4790k? I would rather go for z170 as it supports DDR4 and usb3.1.

just because of the cost.
i have a limited budget.

AcronPower supply and graphics should be ok as long as you don't do gaming, videos or overclock. But due to age I wold consider changing the PSU to protect the new parts.

the power supply is a nice one.... why should it have degraded just from nothing but recording sessions?

AcronI would recommend to do a full new build.

well, i don't see the point in replacing the things that work fine....
i really like how quiet the rig is now....

i think the point was, budget, budget budget.

2016/04/30 15:00:59
batsbrew
fireberd
"Must" you have Wi-Fi?

yes, can't run cable, downstairs and too far, and NOT having connection has been smart from a stability point of view,
but with plugins and updates, i need to have a connection to the net.
what's the big deal about just turning all that stuff off until i need it?

fireberd Also, most (just about all) new motherboards do not have a true PCI card slot/bus.
  so, what are the names of the ones that do?
what's the budget solution for keeping the maudio card rolling?
is that an argument to let it go?
if i have a usb based interface as my soundcard, i would no longer need the pci card anyway, correct?

fireberdThe upgrade you mention may work, but why go with "old" technology?  If you are upgrading go with current technology hardware.

i'm sorry, that question throws me...
i'm trying to updgrade my box with new motherboard and chipset...
and more ram.
what is this 'old technology' you are talking about?
confusion is starting to set in....
2016/04/30 15:03:25
batsbrew
Wookiee
Bat I would have a word with Jim Roseberry and check out StudioCat I suspect you will get a better PC in the end from him.

not a bad idea, but i figured you guys here talk about pieces parts here all the time,
is that not what i need to do, just upgraded some pieces/parts?

otherwise, i might as well just chuck the old one out the door, 
and buy an entire brand new rig.
which i do not want to do.
these are not disposable pieces, i don't understand the build issues i guess.

that's why i went to a private builder the first time,
told him what i wanted,
stripped down the OS to the bare minimum,
and worked blissfully on that system for 8 years.

2016/04/30 15:54:35
fireberd
The Wi-Fi can be turned off.  Best option is to get a USB Wi-Fi adapter and only plug it in when needed.

"Current technology" is newer CPU's than what you stated.  Its a fine CPU but is "several years ago model".

I don't know which ones specifically have a true PCI slot (if you need that).  Jim Roseberry can probably address that.

If you are going to go with a new motherboard and CPU you probably will need new (compatible) memory.  A new power supply should also be on the list.  The old one may work fine but if its more than a couple of years old its time for a replacement - they do not last forever.  Consider one of the "modular" power supplies as it eliminates many of the unused power leads and thus eliminates cable clutter inside case and better air flow.

Unless there is a specific need, you don't need a Video card replacement or even a video card.  The Intel HD Graphics that are built into the CPU will work fine for Sonar and many other applications. 

2016/04/30 19:38:01
Serious_Noize!
Whatever you get turn off the Core Parking, that caused my Dell PC I bought for me all types of problems.

Sometimes it doesn't matter what you get PC wise, if your operating system doesn't work properly for what you wanna do then it doesn't matter. 

I am using Windows 10 and I found this video and it made all the difference for me. Like I said the Core Parking when recording was causing a big problem for me, but not all PC's have Core Parking turned on/off. 

Either way, whatever you build/buy or get, if you are using Windows 8/8.1/10 then I highly recommend turning off the core parking and following some of the tweaks in this video. Core parking being the main one. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwLzg0GJhoA

Good luck!

2016/04/30 19:54:10
batsbrew
ok thanks for all the input, guys, i'm still chewing on this...

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account