2016/05/02 18:55:12
streckfus
Aren't these threads fun?

So here are the guts of my proposed build. Anyone have any words of wisdom about the components? Reviews/feedback are good on all fronts, but figured I'd throw this up there to see if anyone's had issues with anything.

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000W
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K (LGA 1150)
Board: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 (04G-P4-2974-KR) - the one with two DVI
Misc: Rosewill PCIE FireWire 1394a Card (board doesn't have a FireWire port...gotta connect my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40!)
2016/05/02 22:19:08
mikedocy
OK, I'll bite.
The proposed system looks good but you have not given us any requirements or explanations for your decisions:
Is the computer for daw only, or gaming use too? 

Why not go with an LGA 1151 system?
That said, there is nothing wrong with the current LGA 1150. They are tried and true.
The LGA 1151 system will give you DDR4 ram and possibly 10% better CPU. You will pay a little more but you will be at the current standard.

If staying with an 1150 then why the MSI Z97 Gaming 5? It seems like overkill for a daw unless you are really keen on over-clocking and using the system for gaming too. If it is a daw-only build I would forget over-clocking and concentrate on building a stable daw.
You could save some money and go with an ASrock Z97 and still be able to over-clock. IMHO.

I am finding that the current integrated graphics work fine for a daw so you can skip the Geforce card too.  :-)

2016/05/02 23:05:31
streckfus
mikedocy
OK, I'll bite.
The proposed system looks good but you have not given us any requirements or explanations for your decisions:
Is the computer for daw only, or gaming use too? 

Why not go with an LGA 1151 system?
That said, there is nothing wrong with the current LGA 1150. They are tried and true.
The LGA 1151 system will give you DDR4 ram and possibly 10% better CPU. You will pay a little more but you will be at the current standard.

If staying with an 1150 then why the MSI Z97 Gaming 5? It seems like overkill for a daw unless you are really keen on over-clocking and using the system for gaming too. If it is a daw-only build I would forget over-clocking and concentrate on building a stable daw.
You could save some money and go with an ASrock Z97 and still be able to over-clock. IMHO.

I am finding that the current integrated graphics work fine for a daw so you can skip the Geforce card too.  :-)

Yeah, I should've mentioned that my PC doubles as a video production workhorse as well, After Effects & Premiere Pro specifically...even toy around a bit with 3D animation.  So not only is it Skywalker Sound, it's also Industrial Light & Magic. :)  Those video apps will take anything and everything you throw at them, hence maxing out the RAM and getting a big dog GPU.

I looked at the 1151 setups, but alas, I'm being cheap. This was an unexpected expense so I'm trying to keep everything down. Of course, it's not like an 1151 setup is twice as much, so yeah, I've gone back and forth between the two and still might go that route.

Not sure why I selected the MSI, honestly, because I did look at the ASrock Z97 as well. I don't do any overclocking whatsoever so when looking at boards I'm primarily looking for onboard SATA connections, USB ports, available PCI-E slots, etc. Boards are always the toughest thing for me to choose because there are so damn many of them. Right now the ASrock is actually $10 more than the MSI...but that's negligible of course. 

This will be my fourth PC build and previously I had an Intel, ASUS, and EVGA so I'm not sold on any one brand...just want something rock solid & reliable.
2016/05/03 09:37:29
streckfus
So I've been looking more at the 1151 option and surprisingly there's hardly a price difference. But for you techies out there: can you advise what advantage DDR4 has over DDR3? I'm assuming speed trumps CAS latency? Most DDR4 options I've been looking at have CAS latency of 15, whereby DDR3 is right around 9. I'm going to assume that none of that really matters unless one is overclocking, which I'm not.
2016/05/03 10:22:08
Jim Roseberry
If you're working with video... especially 3D rendering/animation (where renders can take brutally long)... you'd do best with a socket 2011-3 machine.
This assumes you're running the CPU at equal clock-speed to socket 1151.
You'd have two extra CPU cores (running at equal clock-speed)... and quad-channel RAM.

Unless you plan to run multiple high-end video cards and load the system down with internal drives, you don't need a 1000w PS.  It's doing nothing but adding heat.

EVGA motherboards would not be my choice.   

2016/05/03 11:05:47
streckfus
Jim Roseberry
If you're working with video... especially 3D rendering/animation (where renders can take brutally long)... you'd do best with a socket 2011-3 machine.
This assumes you're running the CPU at equal clock-speed to socket 1151.
You'd have two extra CPU cores (running at equal clock-speed)... and quad-channel RAM.

Unless you plan to run multiple high-end video cards and load the system down with internal drives, you don't need a 1000w PS.  It's doing nothing but adding heat.

EVGA motherboards would not be my choice.   

I don't do a much 3D rendering/animation, just playing around and a few small snippets for projects.  But I do quite a bit of video stuff. Honestly, I was perfectly happy with the performance of my current setup in regards to video. Sure, some After Effects renders took a while, but no big deal.

I don't plan on running two GPUs but I currently have six drives in my system (2 SSD, 4 HDD) and I'll likely add a couple more. 

No, I won't be getting another EVGA board. Right now I'm looking at the Asus Z-170A. Any experience with the Asus GPUs? I was planning on getting the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 but I can get a bundle deal with that Asus board and the Asus GeForce 970. I've always bought EVGA video cards because I'd never had issues and they performed great, but I'm assuming the Asus would be a fine option? They seem to be a pretty respectable manufacturer all around as far as I can tell.
2016/05/03 11:44:08
mettelus
I recently upgraded to the ASUS GTX 970 STRIX and it has been fine. I replaced an old ASUS GTX 580, and my MB only has a PCIe 2.0 slot (the 970 is PCIe 3.0) and it runs fine, just not to full capacity. I recommend that specific model (not the "Turbo," which is designed like a jet engine). The 580 actually took two 8-pin power connectors, but the 970 only takes one (and is a much shorter unit, taking up only 2 slots in height instead of 3 - the 580 was a MASSIVE unit).

As you mentioned Premiere Pro, I am not sure which version you have, but PP actually references a text file for "CUDA-capable GPUs." Basically, PP will suddenly give you a message that it is using "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" because your GPU doesn't support it (not true). I have CS5.5 so had to update that manually, but there is a nice (somewhat long-winded) post on that here. Another point specific to the 970 is not all of the memory is the same (7/8 is "at speed" but the other 1/8 is not IIRC, although it doesn't seem to be overly important (also mentioned in that link)).
2016/05/03 12:28:54
streckfus
mettelus
I recently upgraded to the ASUS GTX 970 STRIX and it has been fine. I replaced an old ASUS GTX 580, and my MB only has a PCIe 2.0 slot (the 970 is PCIe 3.0) and it runs fine, just not to full capacity. I recommend that specific model (not the "Turbo," which is designed like a jet engine). The 580 actually took two 8-pin power connectors, but the 970 only takes one (and is a much shorter unit, taking up only 2 slots in height instead of 3 - the 580 was a MASSIVE unit).

As you mentioned Premiere Pro, I am not sure which version you have, but PP actually references a text file for "CUDA-capable GPUs." Basically, PP will suddenly give you a message that it is using "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" because your GPU doesn't support it (not true). I have CS5.5 so had to update that manually, but there is a nice (somewhat long-winded) post on that here. Another point specific to the 970 is not all of the memory is the same (7/8 is "at speed" but the other 1/8 is not IIRC, although it doesn't seem to be overly important (also mentioned in that link)).

This is the Asus GPU I'm looking at, believe it's same one you mentioned:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121899

I'm running PPro CS6. It was running fine with my GTX 570; haven't had any of those Mercury Playback Engine messages.

2016/05/03 12:40:45
mettelus
Yes, that is the same card.

To save you time with the above link, my default PP directory is C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 [yours would be 6/6.0] Both of the below should be done with PP closed.

There is an exe called "GPUSniffer.exe" you can run that will let you know if your card is CUDA capable (first check).

However, the text file in that same directory called "cuda_supported_cards.txt" is actually what PP reads on startup to determine if your card is CUDA-capable (sorta funny actually, since GPUSniffer doesn't update this). You just need to append the "GeForce GTX 970" to that text file (if not there). Simply check the file as it exists, and you will know right away.

The author of that link above does have a zip file (page 2) with an updated "cuda_supported_cards.txt" for every known CUDA card if you wish to go that route (just copy/paste the cuda_supported_cards.txt file from the zip to the directory mentioned above).

Aside - FWIW, the original file on my machine looked like this (I added the red entry):

GeForce GTX 285
GeForce GTX 470
GeForce GTX 570
GeForce GTX 580
Quadro CX
Quadro FX 3700M
Quadro FX 3800
Quadro FX 3800M
Quadro FX 4800
Quadro FX 5800
Quadro 2000
Quadro 2000D
Quadro 2000M
Quadro 3000M
Quadro 4000
Quadro 4000M
Quadro 5000
Quadro 5000M
Quadro 5010M
Quadro 6000
Tesla C2075
GeForce GTX 970

2016/05/03 12:59:53
mettelus
Another aside for the above... GPUSniffer should be run from the cmd prompt (as Administrator), or else it "insta-closes" on you, but changing directories is a PITA typing.

In the cmd window, if you right click the icon in the upper left of the window, there is an "Edit->Paste" (at cursor) option, so you can copy/paste the directory from Windows Explorer into a "cd" (change directory) command quicker.
  1. Launch cmd as Admin
  2. Type "cd " at the prompt (space after the cd)
  3. Right click the icon in the upper left "Edit->Paste" the directory from above
  4. Hit Enter, make sure the directory change took
  5. Type "GPUSniffer"
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account