2016/05/06 00:43:49
streckfus
Thanks man. After I got everything up and running with the new hardware and reactivated CS6, I did get that message when I launched PPro. Just added GeForce GTX 970 in the text file, saved it, and done deal. Launched without a hitch.

Thanks for anticipating the issue and pointing it out! I probably would've been slamming my head against the wall otherwise.
2016/05/06 01:11:56
mettelus
You're welcome. Having just experienced that it was fresh in my mind as soon as you mentioned Premiere Pro. It sort of bothers me that Adobe didn't think ahead to update that file automatically for users - I am such a huge fan of "simple"
2016/05/06 01:24:49
streckfus
Kinda feels like they've dumped any interest in CS6 now that they've got their Creative Cloud going, which I hate. Adobe products have always been expensive, but "back in the day" a person could save up and buy a suite (or just a few apps) and have them for life. Now, you're looking at $50/month FOREVER if you want to keep using the stuff. That's $600 a year! 

That's what I like so much about Cakewalk's model. Keep paying as long as you want, but if you ever decide to walk away, you still have something to show for it.
2016/05/06 09:23:11
Jim Roseberry
I use half a dozen of the applications from Creative Cloud.

To maintain a Creative Suite over a 5-year period:
Initial purchase $3000
Four years of upgrades $2400 ($200 each upgrade - upgraded every two years)
Total cost to own: $5400

Creative Cloud for 5-years:
Total cost to subscribe: $3000

You have to be comfortable knowing you don't own anything and accept that you'll always have a payment (similar to leasing a car).  If you can deal with those conditions, the Creative Cloud isn't a bad deal.  
For me, it's significantly less expensive than owning.  
I use the CC for business... so it's pretty easy to justify the expense.
2016/05/06 12:20:39
mettelus
OEM copies of CS5.5 and CS6 are still available if you look hard enough, roughly $300 last I checked.

Interestingly, when I upgraded to 5.5 I asked Adobe directly about these and they said they are legitimate copies, but do not qualify you for upgrades. I paid $1300 to upgrade, but CC was right around the corner and Adobe knew this. I could have saved $1000 and just bought an OEM copy.

Not that much has changed to justify "not owning" it, and Adobe knows this, hence the new model. Hell, I could rollback to Word97 and miss nothing in what I use Word for. Many software programs are in this same boat now since they have crossed over into "maturity."

An ironic part with graphics is that the need to alter something "right now" comes up often, and is one tool not readily available in Windows. I have a 20+ year-old version of Paint Shop Pro 5 that installs to a directory, small (28MB-ish), and can be carried on a thumb drive. For business presentations, this has saved many people's bacon as I can edit in a couple minutes graphics on any machine I am sitting at (no installation required). The "OMG, how did you do that?"s are rather priceless.
2016/05/07 23:22:20
streckfus
I purchased CS6 Production Premium back in 2012 or so...technically, it was purchased by my video production company. (No need to be impressed, we barely got any work and was totally a side job.) I believe it was about $1600 at the time, so kinda spendy. That business is no more, so my producing partner took the camera package and I took the audio gear and media software.

So from a business standpoint, the cost of Creative Cloud is completely reasonable. $50/month is nothing. But it's just me and I don't get a ton of video work, so it's just hard for me to justify dropping $50/month on software I won't use that often. So I just gotta hope that CS6 installs on Windows 10 without any problems, if not, I'm SOL!
2016/05/08 21:44:03
streckfus
mettelus
Yes, that is the same card.

To save you time with the above link, my default PP directory is C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 [yours would be 6/6.0] Both of the below should be done with PP closed.

There is an exe called "GPUSniffer.exe" you can run that will let you know if your card is CUDA capable (first check).

However, the text file in that same directory called "cuda_supported_cards.txt" is actually what PP reads on startup to determine if your card is CUDA-capable (sorta funny actually, since GPUSniffer doesn't update this). You just need to append the "GeForce GTX 970" to that text file (if not there). Simply check the file as it exists, and you will know right away.

The author of that link above does have a zip file (page 2) with an updated "cuda_supported_cards.txt" for every known CUDA card if you wish to go that route (just copy/paste the cuda_supported_cards.txt file from the zip to the directory mentioned above).

Aside - FWIW, the original file on my machine looked like this (I added the red entry):

GeForce GTX 285
GeForce GTX 470
GeForce GTX 570
GeForce GTX 580
Quadro CX
Quadro FX 3700M
Quadro FX 3800
Quadro FX 3800M
Quadro FX 4800
Quadro FX 5800
Quadro 2000
Quadro 2000D
Quadro 2000M
Quadro 3000M
Quadro 4000
Quadro 4000M
Quadro 5000
Quadro 5000M
Quadro 5010M
Quadro 6000
Tesla C2075
GeForce GTX 970

So this is weird. Finally got Windows 10 up and running, all of my audio stuff installed and configured, now I've moved on to CS6. Everything installed fine, and while I had several bouts with PPro launching (that dreaded splash screen crash when it stalls out reading plugins) eventually it started up, and of course, this being a fresh install, I got that message again.

So I went into the folder, opened up the text file, added GeForce GTX 970, and attempted to save it...access denied. Huh? I had no problems doing this on my previous install. I disabled "read only" for the Premiere Pro folder and tried again, no go.

Anytime I do anything with moving .dll files or what not I'll get the prompt to execute the command as administrator and to this day I've never been locked out of my own PC, but there's a first time for everything I guess.

So I ended up going into the Security tab on that folders properties and had to manually give myself permission to modify the folder/contents. Then it worked.

Weird.
2016/05/09 00:43:10
mettelus
The first part is just how Adobe does its VST scan. Each plugin that crashes it Adobe "remembers" but you have to startup (repeatedly) until it finds them all.

As to the file, yes, that is actually a Windows security measure (even on 7/8) to prevent programs from "just modifying" contents in those directories. You actually want this enabled, and a quicker method of modifying a file in those directories is to leave Windows Explorer tiled (so you can see the desktop a bit), open the file from Explorer (as you would normally), then save to desktop. When you copy/move from the desktop back to Explorer, you will automatically get a popup saying "You need Administrator rights to perform this action. Continue?" Then just click "Yes" and done.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account