• Software
  • What I like in Studio One (p.2)
2018/03/13 18:36:27
Starise
I have the occasional drop out issue with Sonar. Very occasional as in almost never so that isn't a deal breaker for me. Sometimes it can be a computer setup that causes these kinds of issues.

I believe that with the additions made to Sonar before the Gibson news ,Sonar  comes head to head with S1. Both have similar features and Sonar is easier on the eyes. Both programs are well worth owning. I suppose it was inevitable that we would have people who crossed over and like S1 better in light of what went down.. It was an easy cross over for many. I own a recent copy of S1 pro. If forced to use S1 I would have made it my main daw. It does a lot of the stuff musicians need to do most often well.It leaves out some of the other more complex stuff. That doesn't seem to matter to most who don't use those features. I won't ever argue that it's not a good daw. Probably one of the best all rounders you could ever own.
Having hardware support is always helpful too and we aren't talking 100 dollar interfaces. They have some really nice hardware.
So if you don't come back I understand, but I think it might help you to hang around and see what happens. Seriously. If you like the way Sonar worked before or if you liked the way some features worked better than the others there's no sin in having a few daws around. 
Nothing beats Sonar for me when doing  tracking/mixing. S1 is a close second however it isn't as easy on the eyes. Tired eyes that look at a computer all day. I want to keep using my 32 bit plug ins as long as I can. I don't need to worry about importing/exporting compressed file types or anything else for that matter. The others don't all do that. Don't believe me? Try it and see.

2018/03/13 21:04:59
paulo

Duplicated by moderation.
2018/03/13 21:11:51
batsbrew
well, i'm not convinced.
and if you don't get into specifics, then it's hard to discuss differences..
i simply said what i liked about S1p, the specifics i mentioned about s1p that sonar didn't do,
is still the most relevant of the list of items
2018/03/13 21:15:55
paulo
batsbrew
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT S1P VER 3.5:

1. project page. worth the price of admission alone.
2. IR maker. same as #1.
3. Pro EQ- very straightforward, waterfall, lots of visual info.
4. bus routing: the way it should be.
5. VCA: pretty cool for setting up automation without going to the bus.
6. ampire: sounds as good as anything else i've heard.
7. groove delay: boy is this fun.
8. multiband dynamics: could almost replace waves LPMBC.... almost.
9. Pipeline Mono/Stereo : whoa.
10. the meters. they are awesome.
11. automation: creation of curves is dead easy.
12. arranger track: way more powerful than what i had in sonar 6 pe.
13. scratch pads. whoa. don't know about these? well, i'm sorry......
14. browsing. the best of all platforms.
15. multi instrument panel, and macro control knobs. for some folks, this would be the main selling point.
16. stretching the faders in console view, all the way up to the top of the screen. whoa.
17. Macros. man, i haven't dug into this fully yet, but the idea that you can set up a deep array of multiple commands and have them all automated, in order, via a macro, is super sweet. the build process is dirt simple.
18. low latency monitoring: the way s1 does it, it's mighty powerful.
19. drag and drop functions: super easy to create sends by just dragging effects.
20. there's more than i have time for!

Without getting into specifics, comparing the latest incarnation of S1 to Sonar 6 is apples v oranges.

IMHO S1 has some nice features, does seem a little snappier, but is not as crashproof as people claim in my experience. It's also fugly and overall Platinum still has it beat for me.
2018/03/13 22:11:45
paulo

but is not as crashproof as people claim in my experience. It's also fugly and overall Platinum still has it beat for me.

Oh but it is, in my experience anyway, in the almost 3 years since I jumped ship from SONAR it has only crashed once, and that was when I tried out the new Cakewalk LP plugs, immediate crash on insertion, I assure you the irony of that was not lost on me and audio engine drop outs? what are they? the only place I have ever experienced them were in SONAR.

As for looks (somewhat subjective) I can no longer stand being in the SONAR environment (bugs, flakiness and instability aside) it just looks tired and old and butt ugly to me. IMO Studio One creams SONAR 5 ways from Sunday, I can't wait until something better comes along, because that will be a doozie.

But it's all nothing but personal opinion, as long as you are being honest with yourself, use whatever you like or find is best to and for YOU
2018/03/13 22:17:06
batsbrew
Starise
Sonar  comes head to head with S1. Both have similar features and Sonar is easier on the eyes.

if you have not fully jumped in and learned how to use S1P, then you really don't know.
and i don't get these 'easy on the eyes' stuff, everything about the display is editable.

StariseSo if you don't come back I understand, but I think it might help you to hang around and see what happens.

i can't help it if sonar went t!ts up right when i was building my new DAW.......
i doubt i'll be back, after spending all the time it's going to take to get as adept at S1 as i was with sonar.
but i'll still be around!

StariseNothing beats Sonar for me when doing  tracking/mixing. 

kinda feel the same way about Studio One now.....

and the project page?!!
man, how did i live without that thing!
the way it works, and the way it is integrated into the working songs pages....
wow, that's what the new sonar needs to do, PRONTO!

Just finished mastering my new album using nothing but the project page and a couple of Waves plugs....

you don't know what you are missing.

2018/03/13 22:44:40
jpetersen
batsbrew
why have you not bothered to learn how to change the colors?
dead simple.

This is my issue exactly. Having to re-learning everything, just to do the same thing.
2018/03/13 23:18:39
batsbrew
jpetersen
batsbrew
why have you not bothered to learn how to change the colors?
dead simple.

This is my issue exactly. Having to re-learning everything, just to do the same thing.

Here's, it's like listening to a kid whine about having to pick his room up... :)
2018/03/14 00:07:26
clintmartin
I haven't had any audio issues with Sonar (since X3 came out) that wasn't related to Win 10 or my aging Presonus 44VSL.
On Win 7 everything works perfectly.
Being I already had 2 other DAWs I like to use...I decided to wait and see what would happen with Cakewalk. I certainly don't blame anyone for switching. It was Cakewalk that shut the doors after all.
Having said all of that...I don't care what DAW anyone uses. What ever makes you happy and productive.
2018/03/14 15:18:57
batsbrew
well, so far,
s1p is making my happy and productive,
and i was able to let go of all that angst over what was going to, or not going to happen, to sonar.

i'd like to read some more success stories on s1.........
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account