• Software
  • What I like in Studio One (p.5)
2018/03/20 16:35:48
Genghis
Thanks for the perspective.  Yeah, I can see if you are looking for Track view items like SONAR, but I always have the Mixer view in Studio One on my second monitor and find that view much better than SONAR.  I didn't really dig into effects bins often in SONAR Track View for that matter, but it was kind of a nice way to have it when you want to make a quick tweak directly from that view.

The FX Bin and Sends in the Console View are so compact and cluttered in SONAR that it always bothered me.  If you have a more complex chain of effects you have to scroll, and often my lead vocal sends are routed to several things, including a compressor side-chain or two for ducking delays, etc.  Once you get 6 or 7 sends in SONAR, you end up scrolling, but no need in Studio One... just size your strips accordingly.  Another thing that is useful with the Console in Studio One is the shortcuts where you can get right to a particular track by clicking it in that smaller pane on the left.

Appearance, well that's a personal preference, but I like the full strip coloring in Studio One better too, but we don't all see things the same when it comes to aesthetics.  I used to like the Track Icons in SONAR at times, but they really kind of just take up space I wasn't really using for anything useful anyway. 
2018/03/21 00:29:00
mettelus
Genghis

The low-latency mode with dropout protection is one thing that stands out above and beyond.  I remember those days of getting an idea late in the mixing phase for adding in another synth track, and the latency being ridiculous and unusable until you disable a bunch of plugins and lower the buffers down to tracking settings.  (Not to mention figuring out which plugin is adding extra buffers that increase that latency)

This feature stands out for me as well. It would take incredible project planning to avoid tracking into a partially mixed project, and I doubt many can avoid this situation. I had asked years ago if SONAR could implement a Tracking/Mixing toggle and got a slew of "can't be done"s, but then S1P turned around and did it.
2018/03/21 09:47:11
tenfoot
dcumpian
After finishing tracking for a new project in S1 over the last couple of months, and then working on the mix this weekend, I can say there is nothing I miss from Sonar anymore. Once you get the layout of the console setup in a way that works for you, you won't miss the way Sonar handles plugins on tracks. The console in S1 is actually very smooth to use, and you can see everything at a glance once you get things setup. I found myself switching back to the track less and less except for editing automation.

I was sad when Cakewalk folded; after 20+ years, who wouldn't be. But S1 has been an eye-opening experience in just how far other DAWs have come. No glitches, no crashes, and I didn't have to do a single "workaround"...

Dan

I am in exactly the same position Dan. Whole new world:)
2018/03/21 10:25:02
olemon
Genghis
And the mixer... there are really people who prefer SONAR?  Once I got used to....

More than anything I suppose that's what it comes down to, getting used to S1.  Sonar's Console is cleaner, it looks like a real channel strip and it made sense to me from the get-go. I used to have two monitors and with SPlat I'd always have the Console View on that second screen.  Right now I'm using one monitor with a customized Mixer window in S1.  I still have that second monitor though.  Have to try it with S1.
2018/03/21 12:23:50
dcumpian
olemon
Genghis
And the mixer... there are really people who prefer SONAR?  Once I got used to....

More than anything I suppose that's what it comes down to, getting used to S1.  Sonar's Console is cleaner, it looks like a real channel strip and it made sense to me from the get-go. I used to have two monitors and with SPlat I'd always have the Console View on that second screen.  Right now I'm using one monitor with a customized Mixer window in S1.  I still have that second monitor though.  Have to try it with S1.

It works. You can have the console full-screen on a second monitor.

Dan
2018/03/21 13:37:07
Starise
Thanks abacab for the heads up on why some of these posts are disappearing. 

To say " I don't miss Sonar" is probably a given no matter what you decide to do. If a person makes their mind up to use something else, they will no longer be concentrating on what they had before and they will use what they have.
You can't track in two daws at once, or at least most people don't for simplicity sake. Once determined to use it they will learn it as a new tool. I simply see this as a person who decided to use another capable product. If I buy a new Chevy and trade in my Ford I won't miss the Ford.

I don't understand the comment " how far daws have come" when comparing Studio One to Sonar. Sonar had monthly updates which were significant and is to this day well beyond  others in terms of functions offered.Probably second only to Cubase in midi functionality and capability, and I mean a close second not a distant second.The main function of most many daws, recording audio in any way you can imagine are in both daws. There's no such thing as a gapless audio engine. All digital audio is 1's and 0's with gaps in between. The engine in SO might be more efficient in terms of having the ability to play with it while it's running. I never do that anyways. Having said that, if Sonar couldn't run loops while you play with them we wouldn't have the matrix view.

"Work arounds" or finding alternative ways to do things exist in all daws. This is all highly subjective to what you do.If a work around is two mouse clicks I can handle that.
To hear people here talk you would think Studio One is invincible, but go  over to the Studio One forum and you will find that it also crashes at times. Users report issues with it too. Our forum is more open to these kinds of things while other forums restrict the way and the area you can report problems to. They don't want the appearance that problems happen but they happen.

2018/03/21 15:24:38
abacab
I bought Studio One as a core DAW because it has a solid future, plenty of training resources, and is fully supported.  We still have to wait and see what happens with Sonar, as far as what the future holds, and what level of support it receives.  I certainly hope it is able to make a comeback!

It also didn't hurt that S1 Pro was an extra cheap crossgrade deal after the Gibson/Cakewalk announcement.   Got it for a price many folks will pay just for a plugin, then picked up Notion 6 for a very low crossgrade + discount price! 

I am discovering a lot to like in Studio One.  Nothing against Sonar, however, especially after almost 20 years ...
2018/03/21 15:50:23
azslow3
Starise
To say " I don't miss Sonar" is probably a given no matter what you decide to do. If a person makes their mind up to use something else, they will no longer be concentrating on what they had before and they will use what they have.

Currently I run several instances of 4 different programming editors. And that is my usual working environment  

You can't track in two daws at once, or at least most people don't for simplicity sake. Once determined to use it they will learn it as a new tool. I simply see this as a person who decided to use another capable product. If I buy a new Chevy and trade in my Ford I won't miss the Ford.

After I have changed Ford Focus to VW Passat, there was no moments I have missed Ford. But in case I have to switch back, I do not think that is going to be the case...

I don't understand the comment " how far daws have come" when comparing Studio One to Sonar.

For that you have to try them...

Sonar had monthly updates which were significant and is to this day well beyond  others in terms of functions offered.

There is DAW with weekly updates, some are significant and there can be intermediate updates with fixes. Report real bug - get it fixed next day.
Sonar has some advantages in the work-flow and offered functions (f.e. see the comparison I have mentioned before). But the list of functions it does not have compare to other is also not empty.

Probably second only to Cubase in midi functionality and capability, and I mean a close second not a distant second.

In LEGACY midi support (RPNs) - may be. But Sonar does not directly support VST MIDI processing (and  "MIDI FX as a SoftSynth" has timing issues). MIDI routing - it does not really exist. Staff view - usable (not not more). Bugs... more then features. Not sure to what it is "close".

The main function of most many daws, recording audio in any way you can imagine are in both daws. There's no such thing as a gapless audio engine. All digital audio is 1's and 0's with gaps in between. The engine in SO might be more efficient in terms of having the ability to play with it while it's running. I never do that anyways. Having said that, if Sonar couldn't run loops while you play with them we wouldn't have the matrix view.

Try to start some "other" DAW on old computer and then again Sonar. The difference in performance will be obvious.
Also working with Sonar, I have learned never modify the project structure while transport is not stopped. In "other DAW" I can make new project, press "Play"/"Record" and build the whole project without completely stopping it(add tracks, FXes, Synthes, record parts, etc.). I will call that a "stress test" for gapless audio engine.
(do not try to enable "allow record arm with working transport" in Sonar, there was a thread about that... you can get your SSD filled quickly )

"Work arounds" or finding alternative ways to do things exist in all daws. This is all highly subjective to what you do.If a work around is two mouse clicks I can handle that.

I would not mix "work arounds" and alternative ways. The first is lengthy replacement for something not working. The second is different approach.

To hear people here talk you would think Studio One is invincible, but go  over to the Studio One forum and you will find that it also crashes at times. Users report issues with it too. Our forum is more open to these kinds of things while other forums restrict the way and the area you can report problems to. They don't want the appearance that problems happen but they happen.

Every DAW is not perfect. And each DAW community tries to defend own "home", sometimes even declaring bugs as features.
And Presonus has many declarative "care about users". Just some: (a) we have found a useless part in audio interfaces, hardware mixer/DSP, so we have removed it. You will fill better now! (b) we know you do not need anything with 32bit, all that is outdated and buggy. We protect you against that evil! (c) our hardware perfectly integrates with our software! It also work good with other software, but not so good (because we artificially hide some features from other software, to make them "exclusive" in our).

But sorry, this forum is not "unique in openes" and sometimes prided "developers feedback" was never top it its class. The community is mostly "self servicing".

I guess most people here still run Sonar for one or another reason. And I guess many people have good feeling doing that, from "feeling home" and "nostalgia" to "that is simpler/quicker to do in Sonar...". But I do not think that refusing the fact the program shows some "aging" effect is a good idea.

2018/03/21 15:53:43
dcumpian
Starise

I'm sure it isn't invincible to user error. My point being that having learned to use a DAW, and using it in a manner that is consistent and well within specifications of the system on which it is running, S1 has not glitched or crashed for me. Sonar, under the exact same conditions, would periodically "white screen" for no discernible reason. Nothing drastic going on in either case. I always stop the transport yanking plugins in both.

Dan
2018/03/21 16:08:06
Starise
@abacab This was an important part of the equation for me as well, in buying Studio One for a really good upgrade price. I probably got the same deal you did.
My lifetime update cost for Sonar was about what one  might expect to pay for a yearly upgrade/update. 

I  believe the price of admission for Sonar was quite high for a new user. Yes Cubase is similar. The only way I could justify it is if I were using it to make $$$ in a studio every day.The price was posted at 499.00 retail to get in. Yes we were told that the retail price was seldom the charged amount, but the perception of that price tag probably turned lots of people away. 

Had I not been vested in the lifetime updates I would have probably rolled with the  monthly/yearly upgrade prices. Most likely in that case I would have decided on an every other year update to minimize my cost and maximize my updates. I wasn't really a fan of that business model. It had a few pluses. One of those was it would allow a person on a tight budget to pay monthly, but as I say I would have rather stayed with a yearly major improvement/features upgrade while getting minor bug fixes throughout the year. The plan demanded too much of the Cakewalk crew to deliver every month. Promising gargantuan updates every month made some unrealistic expectations I think. I'm glad that era is over. 

I'm doing some key conversions on paper right now. If Notion does that I might be interested in it. 
I know I know...lots of good reasons to get into Studio One. I'm not denying that. It's sad really that we didn't know about the sale sooner. I think Sonar would have retained more customers. As it stands, many made the change. I can't say I blame you really. I'm sure the bakers would rather hear a person left because they had to find a replacement and not make the constant comparisons. Not imply that SO is light years ahead of Sonar. It isn't.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account