• Software
  • What I like in Studio One (p.6)
2018/03/21 16:13:37
BobF
Starise
To hear people here talk you would think Studio One is invincible, but go  over to the Studio One forum and you will find that it also crashes at times. Users report issues with it too. Our forum is more open to these kinds of things while other forums restrict the way and the area you can report problems to. They don't want the appearance that problems happen but they happen.

I joined the PreSonus forum almost 4 years ago.  I've been visiting on a regular basis for the last year coincident with my increased use of SO3P.

My experience with both has been very good.  I've found the forum to be helpful, with a great signal/noise ratio.  My experience with SO3P has been superb in that I've NEVER had it crash or do something unexpected.

That's not to say that SO3 is perfect for me.  There are a few things I don't like about the way things are implemented.  The SO team has been very receptive and professional about these things.  I'm hoping to see some changes in future releases ... hoping ... we'll see how it goes.

2018/03/21 16:15:56
Zo
Is there a way to get some like the X ray in S1 ? i want to punch myself each time i have to manage guy's on my laptop ....just discovered that even Logic does it (as well as PT) so anybody found a workaround ?
2018/03/21 18:35:28
Jeff Evans
There is such a thing as a gapless audio engine.  You discover it when you start using one.  It is one that seems to allow the flow of no glitching and loops all looping with perfect timing.  Being able to do multiple tasks while record/playback is enabled.  Sonar is not strong in this area.  Studio One has had a smooth running audio engine since it was first released.  They focused on it.  It feels like it has priority to me.  I am sensitive to it.  Lately I have been using it that way and it is very good in how it handles working this way.  

Also the way it handles external midi control of a bunch of hardware.  It does this with ease and it all feels real good and tight.  External midi timing for me is essential and Studio One handles it with ease.  Not flinching under heavy audio load conditions.  I love the way it is so tight and independent of the audio system.  With Sonar I struggled at times to get everything playing back so solidly as I am now.  Other DAW's are also strong at this and Logic and Cubase are good contenders there. Ableton is also focused in this area too. 

Subtile timing in record performances are captured and feel incredible on playback.  Time stretching is strong and quality is assured.  

Overall features may not be rich as per Sonar but some features are there in Studio One and not even in Sonar.  And in some areas it is ahead.  It still has got everything you need now to produce a seriously quality production. Its integration into hardware as well is very cool and powerful indeed and is only to going to get better and deeper.  The way Studio One now talks to the new Series III mixers in DAW mode is simply awesome and is about to get better. 

The Sonar forum and its users can be a bit closed shop on DAW use, I guess like most.  There are a bunch of great forum moderators over on the Presonus forum and I have been invited to be one myself and have joined the group.  There are some incredibly smart and knowledgeable Studio One guys who are doing incredible things in educating people in the use of Studio One.  I use it a lot and still find it amazing what you find out about it.  Little features that are built into it.  Craig Anderton has already written some incredibly interesting and original ways of creating and doing things inside Studio One.

Yes we have our issues as well but many are user error though.  There is plenty of help there too.  Our updates are solid and work.  We are about to get major upgrade in V4.  We have it on a Mac as well and it is interesting being able to use it on both platforms.  I do it all the time and it works well.  It is very possible to built a solid and reliable system that performs super well under pressure too.  
2018/03/21 20:24:10
azslow3
Jeff Evans
Time stretching is strong and quality is assured.

I know you was writing about MIDI... But if I have seen correctly, S1 use Elastique for audio stretching. And there Sonar with iZotope easily wins on some material (especially drums). I know Melodyne can do this good, but it is a bit "heavy" to use for that purpose.
2018/03/21 20:48:54
ChuckC
Sonar does crash, glitch, drop out and white screen on me at least a few times a week, and the current version is relatively stable compared to say the issues everyone had in the X1 days. I have been using sonar some 9 years now and it has always done it sometimes... sometimes more than others. I have also had studio one for 6+ yeara though until recently I only used it to master songs in the project page. Using it more now I can definitively say it is FAR more stable for me in tracking, editing, mixing etc. too. Not a damn hiccup. not one. You can argue "no such thing as gapless..." all you want on whatever technical basis you like. I love sonar, but the audio engine is effectively gapless in practice, rock solid system with a lower cpu drain on the same comp with similar mixes and track counts. The learning curve is annoying and slows you down learning a new DAW, but that is only temporary.
2018/03/22 08:04:58
azslow3
Zo
Is there a way to get some like the X ray in S1 ? i want to punch myself each time i have to manage guy's on my laptop ....just discovered that even Logic does it (as well as PT) so anybody found a workaround ?

I do not have S1, so I do not know about build-in features (S1 owners here write whatever, except technical details...).

But there are general external tools, f.e. http://www.lukepaynesoftware.com/projects/peek-through/
I was surprised it still work for Win10 64bit (it is quite old 32bit program), but it does.
2 tips with it:
1) when installing, first extract the installer from the archive. It kind of "installs" directly, but not really.
2) when "Click throw" is enabled, I had difficulties to activate some windows after making them transparent. Try clickable top bar elements for that.
2018/03/23 18:41:53
Starise
I appreciate all the different views expressed while I might not agree with all of them. Technically all digital audio has gaps. I wasn't attempting to smokescreen anyone here. You CAN do things in SO3 that you can't do in Sonar with respect to the audio. The question is, do you want to do those things? For me the answer is probably no. Anything I do in Sonar while it's running I can do right now.
I don't really care if SO3 works on a mac because I don't own a Mac. That part of it is irrelevant me.

Who knows, we might see improvements to the audio engine. It does what I need in spades right now. Improvements would be welcome though.

Hardware integration- I won't argue this. Presonus has a definite edge here, but only if you have their hardware. I looked at the series III mixers and routing tracks through the board fx is cool. It isn't something many of us really need to make good music on a computer since Sonar will work with Mackie control and just about any interface on the market including Presonus.

I'm glad you guys found something you like. I think it was probably the best choice for a cross over product.
If you think we are all going to come running to SO3 though, think again. If you expect us to begin to say how much better we think it is than Sonar, think again. Some of us yes. Most of us no. I think most of us are waiting to see what develops.

I like other daws. I use other daws on occasion. It's a tool like a vacuum cleaner. I try not to concentrate on the tools if I know how to use them already. If they work well for me I would rather get an idea and track it. In the end no one is going to care which daw you used. It's all about what you do with it.
2018/03/23 20:03:35
reginaldStjohn
Starise
I like other daws. I use other daws on occasion. It's a tool like a vacuum cleaner. I try not to concentrate on the tools if I know how to use them already. If they work well for me I would rather get an idea and track it. In the end no one is going to care which daw you used. It's all about what you do with it.

+1
2018/03/23 20:16:01
batsbrew
azslow3
 I do not have S1, so I do not know about build-in features ....

then why are you in a thread about what you like about S1P?

2018/03/23 20:16:17
Jeff Evans
I am much more interested in using one DAW as well to get the whole job done. For me personally I would rather only use one.  I believe you can get that great piece of music realised with just one DAW.  As Hans Zimmer said, "the best DAW for you is the one you know".  For many Sonar users that means Sonar.  For many Studio One users it means Studio One.  And for other DAW's users it means that DAW.  Other DAW's certainly don't feature in your thinking, except the one that are using.

In professional terms too the client is certainly not interested in what your chosen tools are that is for sure.  They only hear the final product.  Many Sonar users have already come over to Presonus in fact.  As a moderator I know the figures and they are amazingly high.  And many of them are in fact stating how much they prefer using Studio One, already.  Because they have switched to it, have or learning it and using it.  We are quite busy over there helping Sonar users adapt. 

Sonar has not actually stopped working for anyone? Then the best thing Sonar users can do is nothing and just keep using their DAW.  And with recent developments only time will tell what could and may happen there.  Good things I hope.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account