• Computers
  • Windows 10...first impressions (p.2)
2016/02/23 12:16:22
John
For a song collections I use Mediamonkey Gold. Its a really good player librarian.  It will take a little work to understand it but worth it. 
2016/02/24 04:31:35
ston
Bristol_Jonesey
Yeah, we're all bland in the UK 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huSP7PtctC4

"What's the blandest thing on the menu?" :-D

2016/02/24 05:11:43
jbraner
You know what? Yesterday, I humoured it, and left my default association for pdf files, set for Edge.
(I keep setting it for acrobat reader and Windows keeps puttingit back). I actually like Edge better for reading pdf files! Acrobat is getting too wacky - like trying to set up the icons you like, across the top - and Edge is nice and simple. I think I'll keep it this way ;-)

I might even try Edge as a browser. I actually figured out how to replace Bing as the default search engine. It *does* seem nice and simple and straightforward (like a browser is supposed to be...)
2016/02/24 12:30:12
bitflipper
My biggest complaint with Win10 is every time I want to change some system setting it's a scavenger hunt to find where they've hidden it.
2016/02/25 06:23:35
ston
Control Panel?

You can just hit the windows button in the bottom left and then type the name of the control panel component you want to change.

e.g.

click 'doze button
type: 's o u n d s'
First hit is: 'Change system sounds\n Control Panel'

click 'doze button
type: 'p r o g r a m s a n d'

First hit is: 'Programs and Features\n Control Panel'

Given that M$ had already hit the absolute nadir of searching with Windows 7, they only had one direction to go in for W10.  It's a *kind* of strategy I suppose... ;-)
2016/02/25 10:31:11
bitflipper
Oh, the Control Panel's no problem if I just want to add a printer or something. But say you want to disable power-saving on USB ports. It's 7 or 8 clicks deep, as if they wanted all but the most determined users to stay out of there.

Still, it's an improvement over Windows 8, which apparently hid that functionality so well nobody ever found it.
2016/03/17 15:12:57
jamesg1213
I was liking W10 until it did a big ol' update 2 days ago. Now I have Cortana when I didn't want it (unchecked that on the original install), Edge has become unstable; if I open a new tab it will flash on and off until I shut it down and do it again, and I can't stay logged in to Soundcloud. Minor things, but irritating. Waiting for more...
2016/03/23 10:17:44
ston
bitflipper
Oh, the Control Panel's no problem if I just want to add a printer or something. But say you want to disable power-saving on USB ports. It's 7 or 8 clicks deep, as if they wanted all but the most determined users to stay out of there.

I actually tried to look for that and gave up in the end, so kudos! :-)

Not much more to report...thinking about it I'm not sure if my W10 install has updated  vitself or not of late.

*fx: checks*

Huh, 63 completely failed updates.  I think this is because I was previously on my company's domain, which configures an update server which is waaaaay behind where the 'official' M$ update server is at.  So I left the domain but 'doze was still probably configured to grab updates from the company's server which would of course fail due to leaving the domain.

I've tweaked a few settings (i.e. grab from windows update, not the company's WSUS) and I am now downloading the updates.  I must say that I'm not impressed with the update options offered by 'doze 10; either fully-auto or 'ask me to reboot', i.e. for both 'choices' 'doze will download and install the updates.  I thought this was configurable?  I'm on the Enterprise variant too, so in theory should have the most flexibility.  Anyway, suffice to say that Windows 10 in no way whatsoever informed me that it had completely failed to installed a huge raft of updates.  Slow clap!

Oh well, seems like there's going to be no way of preventing the inevitable "Update to Doze 11 omfg it's the Windowiest!" nagware.

10 has fixed the incredibly annoying Win8 issue of not giving important progress and notification dialogs the focus, i.e. sticking them at the top of the Z-order pile, so...is it progress that Windows 10 now does the same, correct thing that Windows 3.1 -> Windows 7 (inclusive) did?  I would say...no.
2016/03/23 10:46:37
ston
Oh wow, W10 update has just completely broken my machine, as I was writing the previous post.  No start menu, no second monitor, no right-click monitor options, CTRL-ALT-DEL fails to display sign-in or security options, no right-click icon options the list goes on...although apparently I can make forum posts still :-)

2016/03/23 11:17:50
ston
Well, that was a beyond terrifying hour's panic.  I thought a trip to the sandwich shop would give it time to sort itself out, but no.  So I had to yank the power and the battery and then cold booted it.  Somewhat miraculously, 'doze did finish all its update installing on restart, so it seems that everything is now fixed and working.  I get the impression that it borked itself upon finishing the update downloads.

User rating: 1/10, see me after class, must do better.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account