• Computers
  • Windows 10...first impressions (p.3)
2016/03/23 11:25:05
jbraner
I'm glad to hear it got it's act together!!
2016/04/13 09:00:29
ston
More fun with Windows 10; same machine, different route...

Happily coding away on Monday, machine locks up big time.  "Hmm, W10 has not crashed before", thinks I.  It wasn't a crash; the hard drive had let go big time!  Using a USB caddy, a BSD machine and some fuse magic, we finally managed to persuade the drive to mount (would not mount under a Windows box).  GPT partitions can be a bit funny...

Anyway, pretty much the entire file system under c:\users was toast.  Boot partition had gone up in smoke too.  Dodged a massive bullet though (more like dodged a howitzer round); the 40GB development VM I was working on, with quite a bit of saved but not committed work, had not been damaged at all!  Phew.  If one block in that had been hit...*ulp*

Ordered a 1TB SDD, did a clean install of Windows 10 Enterprise the next day (10 minutes, wow) but now I cannot turn on wifi :-(  The driver is fine apparently, but every time I turn it on in the Network and Internet settings dialog, it immediately gets flipped to off again.  It's a Lenovo Z380 ideapad; fn-F5 is supposed to bring up the Wireless Settings dialog, but it does nothing.  I wanted to get wifi on so I could contact our company's VPN server (not accessible over wired) so I could install the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client so my machine could then access the server which will activate W10.  Bit of a palaver, what?  In the end, I went the odd route of going through my customer's VPN and so their DNS servers, which could resolve the vpn server's address blah blah and finally activated windows.  After that, the fn-F6 functionality stopped working (why?!) which turns the touchpad off, which is incredibly annoying if your job involves a lot of typing :-/

There's quite a lot of people who have upgraded their 7 or 8 laptop machine to 10 who have also had this can't turn wifi on problem, but that most often has involved a) an upgrade, not a clean install and b) Cisco AnyConnect already being installed prior to the upgrade, being a version which is incompatible with W10.  However, again this can't be the issue affecting my machine as like I said it was a clean install.
2016/04/13 20:04:12
kitekrazy1
 I still like to use Winamp version 2 before AwHell bloated it and ruined it.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account