2015/10/14 10:56:39
SGodfrey
Azslow I do respect your view and don't wish to antagonise.
Just for clarification, my original post was envisaging using products like Z3ta, Rapture and Dimension from a Komplete Kontrol keyboard or Maschine, I was not referring to Sonar.  IMO it would be great to have the patch tagging and controller pre-assignment that NKS can offer.
I know that NI can be a red flag to some, but I hadn't realised this request would be contentious.  Apologies to any who are offended, it was not my intention.
2015/10/14 11:28:22
dcumpian
Hey, don't feel bad. I love the NI products that I use, but I just think this expectation is a little unrealistic.

Regards,
Dan
2015/10/14 13:10:08
azslow3
SGodfrey
Azslow I do respect your view and don't wish to antagonise.
Just for clarification, my original post was envisaging using products like Z3ta, Rapture and Dimension from a Komplete Kontrol keyboard or Maschine, I was not referring to Sonar.  IMO it would be great to have the patch tagging and controller pre-assignment that NKS can offer.
I know that NI can be a red flag to some, but I hadn't realised this request would be contentious.  Apologies to any who are offended, it was not my intention.

I understand that you mean VSTs (Z3ta2 and RapturePro, Rapture and Dimension can be considered obsolete). And it looks like it is my turn to apologies for the (not intended) attitude of my first post.

My view comes from perception of Cakewalk products as a group. It is clear that Mac versions of VSTs are not working inside (Windows based) Sonar, but the source code is (almost) the same (VST SDK is platform independent) and CW win more users (and so profit). NKS is different format, so different source code. NKS will give no advantages for using these plug-ins in Sonar, only in case it is "wrapped" by NI. So there is no new market opened by such incarnation.

If looking at CW and NI product lines, we see:
* CW - Sonar DAW inviting controller producers to cooperate and plug-ins (VSTs).
* NI - VSTs, VSTs wrapper inviting other VSTs producers to cooperate and controllers.

NI has not answered on Sonar's invitation to cooperate with controllers, neither they cooperate with the wrapper (track following, etc., can also be done on controller API level).
And so symmetric reaction from CW is logically not cooperate on plug-ins level.

I have nothing against NI, but "Whoever is not with me is against me". And NI had a chance to be with Sonar long time before they declare NKS.
2015/10/16 16:12:10
ØSkald
What's wrong with implementing a new standard into Cakewalks soft synths?
2015/10/16 16:27:58
stevec
Jarsve
What's wrong with implementing a new standard into Cakewalks soft synths?

The only negative I can see is that it's for a very limited audience.    That said, if I had the $$$ I'd probably have one of these controllers.   

2015/10/16 17:56:29
ØSkald
The keyboard isn’t that expensive. Mind you, the keys is just perfect. The light guide is not just for fun. You can see what is sounds and what is not, sound controllers and so on without having to learn every sound and its placement on the keyboard. The implementation is not a rewriting of anything. Just an add. So that the keyboard reads the knobs and shows their name on the display. And the light guide.
2015/10/16 19:06:46
stevec
Oh, I understand what it does and how it already integrates with Komplete (I'm on K9).   I think it's a very cool and useful idea!   I was only pointing out that the number using these controllers that also happen to use SONAR is likely to be relatively small.    And yeah... I'd like to be one of them. 

2015/10/16 19:08:12
azslow3
So far, Cakewalk has managed to implement Previous and Next Program CCs in the Rapture Pro as the only keyboard friendly feature... Let see when "the light" come out of it

2015/10/21 16:21:48
sharke
It's long past time Cake updated their whole controller integration. No matter what controller you have, it should be a simple straightforward process to map any rotary or fader on your device to anything that can be moved in Sonar whether it be a console fader or a plugin dial. ACT is horrible and has never worked properly, I gave up on it ages ago due to the bugs and frustrations, but whenever I find myself wanting to, for example, control the cutoff control on a filter plugin with a rotary on my A-800 and realize that I either can't do it or have to tear my hair out with ACT, that's one of the few times I wish I used another DAW. Cakewalk are cutting themselves off from the electronica crowd because of this weak area of the program.
2015/10/21 17:44:21
BobF
I'm with Sharke on this one.  Hopefully azslow3 can bang out a deal with Noel to get things up to date and supported by Cakewalk
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account