2015/11/07 19:54:06
ØSkald
I think this standard could be the next "mackie" standard for master keyboards!
2015/11/08 14:56:53
azslow3
Jarsve

Only if they publish it, both sides, for free. So that it works not only within Kontakt but with any DAW and with any keyboard.

"Native Kontrol Standard" is at the moment proprietary, unknown, internal "standard" within NI only. Other plug-in producers can support it so they cooperate with NI products (hardware and software) only.

Note that I have not seen Mackie Control or HUI protocols was ever claimed as a "standard" by Mackie. In that respect, Mackie is the standard de facto. The word "Standard" in NKS is just a word from registered trade mark, it has no conventional meaning.
2015/11/09 01:42:32
Notecrusher
Jarsve

NKS is the API for NI controllers, which have a unique set of features. It allows VSTi's to work with and leverage those features. It could possibly develop into a general standard for controllers/keyboards but it's not that now.

2015/11/12 10:51:18
ØSkald
I hope it could. And it should.
I don't se why NI should give this away for free, when every other company license out their inventions for money. This thing is a huge step for keyboards and workflow.
2015/11/12 11:15:27
Doktor Avalanche
Jarsve
I don't se why NI should give this away for free, when every other company license out their inventions for money. This thing is a huge step for keyboards and workflow.

It won't however..

It's time companies banged their heads together and developed open source standards...
2015/11/12 13:33:42
ØSkald
Doktor Avalanche
Jarsve

It won't however..

It's time companies banged their heads together and developed open source standards...

Yeah. But that's utopia right. We musicians should also give our music out for free. Right?

The world doesn’t work that way.
2015/11/12 13:46:46
azslow3
Jarsve
I don't se why NI should give this away for free, when every other company license out their inventions for money.

May be because that is far from "invention"? (http://hackaday.com/2013/10/08/led-guided-piano-instruction/)
May be because CakeWalk give for free the way to integrate any device with Sonar?
May be because Mackie had big success with the "protocol" because it is published for free?

And I repeat one more time, we are speaking about less then 100 lines  (not 100k lines!) of IDL, which they can declare as "use it as you want" or "pay to use it" as it looks like they do now...
2015/11/12 16:35:22
ØSkald
Its not only the light guide. But names on the rotary knobs and light guide showing what is sound and not. What is snare drum and what is kick etc. You dont need to set up the rotary knobs. It not only show you what you edit, but also how far your going. Every of the 8 rotary knobs has their own little screens showing this. You should try it before judging it!
2015/11/12 18:13:13
azslow3
Jarsve
Its not only the light guide. But names on the rotary knobs and light guide showing what is sound and not. What is snare drum and what is kick etc. You dont need to set up the rotary knobs. It not only show you what you edit, but also how far your going. Every of the 8 rotary knobs has their own little screens showing this. You should try it before judging it!

I am not judging the unit! I do not own it, but I have shortly touched it. Looks and feels pretty good indeed!

But I have not found any breaking technology which can pretend to be a standard and is sufficiently innovative to declare it private and a subject to license:

1) showing parameter name and value on display near knob is at least as old as VST (open!) standard. You don't need to set up these because someone has done that for you. But try to work with not yet supported by NI VST, and you are at the same point as with ACT/Automap/etc. No special VST extension is required to implement that.

2) light on keys require some additional interface, but it can be as simple as:
class IKeyLight {
  void SetLight(UINT from_key, UINT to_key, UINT color);
  void GetLight(UIN from_key, UINT to_key, UINT *colors);
};
If plug-in support this (I mean exactly this!) interface and there is some way to send the information to the keyboard (for example with SysEx), it is possible to control lights from plug-in. Do you see something to hide even under NDA or registration in these 4 lines?

3) browsing is specific thing. VST standard has "presets" only (and Sonar support "named presets" for plug-ins and switching them from ANY keyboard/controller!). Changing/replacing current plug-in is DAW specific. NI play "VST host" role there and has it's way. Sonar also support the same, its own way. And so all other DAWs.

So, what you think should become "future standard" for plug-ins and why?
2015/11/12 21:07:18
Doktor Avalanche
Jarsve

Doktor Avalanche
It won't however..

Jarsve
Yeah. But that's utopia right. We musicians should also give our music out for free. Right?

The world doesn’t work that way.

Either I'm not understanding your point or you're not understanding what open source is. It's not freeware. Cheers..
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account