2015/11/13 19:02:57
Notecrusher
This is silly. NI wants vendors to support NKS. They are not charging a licensing fee. But there's no indication they are going to turn NKS into a MIDI-like hardware-independent standard. They view Maschine and the Komplete Kontrol keyboards as products that have market leading features -- which in many respects they are. They want to leverage that through s/w vendor support so they can sell more h/w.
2015/11/13 20:18:31
azslow3
Notecrusher
This is silly. NI wants vendors to support NKS. They are not charging a licensing fee.

Have you found any useful links about the topic with practical information?

Let say someone wants support NKS in own plug-in. How to proceed, under which conditions?

For me more interesting question is "someone wants support Kontrol is some DAW, how to proceed?", but that is different question which most probably has different answer.
2015/11/14 15:56:12
Notecrusher
azslow3
Notecrusher
This is silly. NI wants vendors to support NKS. They are not charging a licensing fee.

Have you found any useful links about the topic with practical information?

Let say someone wants support NKS in own plug-in. How to proceed, under which conditions?

For me more interesting question is "someone wants support Kontrol is some DAW, how to proceed?", but that is different question which most probably has different answer.

I've been in dialog w/ NI support and am still trying to get answers. It's the usual problem -- CS people don't really have developer knowledge so things move slowly and take persistence. But the dialog is pertaining to "advanced host control" as discussed here previously, not NKS.
2015/11/15 07:24:17
ØSkald
Doktor Avalanche
Jarsve
I hope it could. And it should.
I don't se why NI should give this away for free, when every other company license out their inventions for money. This thing is a huge step for keyboards and workflow.

Doktor Avalanche
It won't however..

It's time companies banged their heads together and developed open source standards...

Jarsve
Yeah. But that's utopia right. We musicians should also give our music out for free. Right?

The world doesn’t work that way.

Either I'm not understanding your point or you're not understanding what open source is. It's not freeware. Cheers..

I'm just saying that they have to protect their investment. Giving all blueprints away may destroy their sales of hardware.
2015/11/15 16:32:33
Doktor Avalanche
Jarsve
I'm just saying that they have to protect their investment. Giving all blueprints away may destroy their sales of hardware.

Not sure what you mean. Developing open source standards would not require giving away hardware blueprints. They would come in the form of an abstraction layer or common code to be used everywhere (ie process management). Code used to run their hardware of course would not be made open source.

The main problem we have nowadays is that these firms are competing to be THE STANDARD much like betamax vs VHS. Sadly it really never happens. Last time real acceptance got adopted across the board was the VST standard. All we seem to get nowadays are multiple standards that mostly do the same thing and are propriety, Not very efficient.

Look at ARA integration for instance. Only melodyne and Cakewalk seem to be supporting it.

Ta.
2015/11/15 17:30:48
ØSkald
They are letting others use their API.
2015/11/15 17:44:04
azslow3
Jarsve
They are letting others use their API.

As you can find in several my posts, "they are letting..." is the only known statement. Can you as a customer get the API? What means "a partner" in terms of agreement?

Sure they "are letting", it will be 2x more fanny in case they put title "Standard" on something they never show anyone
But in case somewhere in the license there is simple statement "to be used with NI products only", that was with "the standard" then. That means the standard is NI INTERNAL (equivalent to useless for anyone without NI keyboard/controllers, my guess the majority of users).
2015/11/29 08:32:37
auto_da_fe
I will add my vote for NKS support.

JR
2016/01/03 19:29:11
alseger
I just bought a new Native Instruments S88 keyboard with transport controls for some DAWs  but unfortunately, not yet compatible with Sonar. Please adopt the new nks standard into Sonar transport controls and plugins.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account