• Computers
  • FireWire PCIe card recommendations?
2015/11/03 13:34:54
57Gregy
My trusty 10-year old XP music computer died. I have an original Focusrite Saffire interface and want to try to integrate it into my Win 10 64-bit computer. I realize there may not be drivers for it in this modern, update-everything-so-nothing-you-now-use-will-work era, but the thing was rather pricey and I'd like to continue with it if possible.
So, what FireWire card do you use with Win 8/10?
Is a FireWire 'adapter' the same as a FireWire card?
It appears that any card I choose will be cheaper than a new interface, but if I can't get them together, I'll be sticking with Focusrite.
2015/11/04 11:01:05
MachineClaw
I bought a generic firewire card that supported 400/800.  I use my focusrite at 400 with it.

I think it cost me $20 and had the TI chipset but I can't remember.  you might want to scout the forcusrite website and look at support and read which chipset they recommend, I remember it was in the manual at some point.

I only have the interface on the firewire so I don't use any additional devices on that firewire PCIe and it works just great.
2015/11/04 11:26:18
57Gregy
Thanks. I know there are not a lot of FireWire users anymore, so not a lot of FW devices, too.
I see a few that have TI chipsets when searching, which is what most manufacturers recommend. My stock VIA card has worked fine, though.
I guess I need to run over to Tiger Direct and see what they have.
Could be expensive, though; they're near Sam Ash and Guitar Center.
2015/11/04 11:32:00
batsbrew
i thought fire wire was a dead end?

2015/11/04 11:58:08
MachineClaw
there aren't many firewire new products being made but the protocol works just fine.  you get the firewire card and a device and your setup.

thunderbolt was the new big thing and that looks like it's dying already.  very little PC thunderbolt action going on.

think is if you already have the interface ($300 invested) why not just buy a $20 card and keep rockin.  estpecially if you have to invest in a new computer anything to lighten the load on the wallet will be better.
2015/11/04 12:22:39
JonD
I've always used SIIG cards (FW and USB2) with my DAW, and they've been flawless.

Here's the one I currently use:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16800998059

Might be cheaper through Amazon or Ebay.
2015/11/04 18:07:16
57Gregy
Thanks, JonD. I saw that one in my search, but I'm not too familiar with any component manufacturers, so didn't know if it was trash or not.
Batsbrew, MachineClaw is right. I already have a Saffire, which cost me $400 when new and is working fine. If any of Focusrite's drivers will work with it on a Win 10 box, I'll save some money and aggravation.
2015/11/20 08:17:10
patm300e
Presonus doesn't think it is dead.  Their new RM (Rack Mount) series StudioLive:
http://www.presonus.com/products/StudioLive-RM-Series
uses Firewire to capture 16 or 32 (depending on model) channels.  It is also a wireless LIVE sound system...

2015/11/20 09:30:00
Jim Roseberry
SIIG makes good TI chipset Firewire controllers.
If you choose SIIG, make sure it's a TI chipset unit.
ie: SIIG puts a sticker over the chipset... and they have several models (some not using TI chipset).

Syba also make a good inexpensive TI chipset Firewire controller.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account