• Computers
  • FireWire PCIe card recommendations? (p.2)
2015/11/20 12:20:02
smallstonefan
I bought the 3PORT Firewire 800 Pcie Card Allegro in August and it works great:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XHBR8C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I bought this one because UAD only officially supports two PCIe cards out there and I needed a supported card for my Apollo.
2015/11/22 23:11:40
57Gregy
Thanks, Pat and Jim and James and Tim.
2015/11/23 12:23:33
Starise
A heads up Greg. Several of these cards use a molex power connector ( see pics ) It's a male molex which means you need a female power lead from your power supply. My power supply came with this connector. It's not a big deal to hook. If you only power it from the socket you may encounter problems.
My guess is this is mainly for those systems that have a lot of drain on the sockets i.e. have more than one video card. Too much current on your socket can toast it.

Also some cards are only FW800.
2016/01/09 13:38:24
57Gregy
Installed the donated FireWire card with TI chip. It's recognized by Windows and is working properly, according to device manager.
Downloaded the latest Saffire firmware update, 2.7 I think, but it won't install. Mix control did install from the disk, but the Saffire is not recognized, sorta.
Running the firmware update, it reminds you to disconnect the device before beginning. I do that and it loads driver update 1. Before loading driver 2 it says to connect the device, check.
Doesn't see the device, so it wouldn't load the first thousand times I tried it.
Finally got it to load part 2, but when It gets to the box "Install Firmware", it tells me to connect the already-connected device, and that's as far as I can get.
All the lights on the Saffire are lit. 
Back to the "is not recognized, sorta" part.
Frustrated, I didn't disconnect the Saffire before running the update. It tells me the Saffire is connected and to disconnect it before updating, so it does see it, until I run the update.
So, my music computer is XP 32-bit, thus no Windows support, no MSE updates beyond what was installed a day before XP support ended.
My question (finally! ) is, would you connect the computer to the internet to update the firmware on an unprotected computer and do you think it would make any difference when connecting the Saffire from the XP box to the newer Win 10 box?

2016/01/09 20:04:19
Cactus Music
What about WIndows 7?? Most older stuff worked fine on that. WIndows 10 is not essentual to running a DAW. 
2016/01/10 10:08:28
57Gregy
Unfortunately, out of ignorance, I upgraded from 7 to 10 and now I can't go back (easily).
I'll try moving the Saffire updated firmware to a thumb drive and running it in the XP computer before I do anything else.
Shoot, I may already be running the latest firmware; it's been years since the DAW was on the 'net.

JohnnyV, you probably missed my older post about my dying XP DAW. Well, it did die, but was miraculously resurrected. So I'm trying to migrate all my Cakewalk stuff and interface to my newer computer before the final death of the DAW.

2016/01/10 10:46:10
JonD
Greg,
Sorry you're still having problems with this.  Now that your XP box is resurrected, I'd at least try the firmware update on it.  Seems worth the risk, considering any other fix would require something more drastic (downgrade from Win10, for example).
2016/01/11 17:22:36
Beagle
57Gregy

My question (finally! ) is, would you connect the computer to the internet to update the firmware on an unprotected computer and do you think it would make any difference when connecting the Saffire from the XP box to the newer Win 10 box?

I would if that's an available option.

In fact, I have an old XP DAW running on the internet that I've repurposed now.  I'm not sure what i'm going to do, if I will continue to leave it on the internet or not, but it's on the internet now a couple of hours every couple of days while I do stuff with it.  it complains all the time, but it serves the purpose I have for it and I only use it on the internet to download drivers and documents on devices I have connected to it.

but it's completely up to you.  if you don't go to any malicious websites (and if you just search for "drivers" for something it's likely you WILL go to a site which would load unwanted stuff on your system, so be careful!), then I wouldn't worry about it just for a driver update.
2016/01/12 11:49:16
Jim Roseberry
The 4-pin molex power connection on Firewire controllers is to provide bus-power.
If you don't plan to use bus-powered Firewire peripherals... you don't need to connect it.  
2016/01/14 18:20:27
57Gregy
Thanks, Jim.
Now, what does that mean?
Updated the Saffire to 2.7 using a thumb drive.
It's plugged into the Win 10 box now, but both it and the Belkin FireWire card are not connected to the computer, according to the Device Manager (Currently, this device is not connected to the computer [code 45]), and despite the lights being lit on the Saffire.
Sometimes a restart will get the Belkin device to work; no luck yet with the Focusrite.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account