• Computers
  • New DAW PC Build- feedback requested and very welcome!
2016/03/29 17:38:27
Chazdaddy

Hello All- I am about to order the attached parts list to build a new PC for my home music studio. I have been limping along with a very old HP laptop for some time now and I cannot take it anymore. I am currently running Sonar Producer (The X series). I mainly do true audio recording with real instruments (Mic'ed Guitars, Tube Amps, Microphones, Bass, keys, drums, live vocals etc..) but I do use some VST plug- in effects on my tracks (like reverbs, echoes, mixing and mastering plug ins) and sounds via a USB keyboard. I have an external Firewire Audio Interface (Focusrite)and do not do any gaming, so the integrated cards should be OK. I already have keyboard, mouse monitors etc..

I am trying to keep this fairly budget friendly having just bought a house and built a new studio, with the potential to upgrade in the future of course. Trying to stay in the 500- 600 USD range.

Would consider it a huge favor and honor if you would review my list- any feedback welcome, I am new at this, here is the link:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vfK63C
Thanks!!
2016/03/29 21:24:43
...wicked
You'd be surprised how much system resources graphics take. I'd still consider a GPU.

2016/03/29 23:34:25
Chazdaddy
Thanks wicked-I will consider, good point.

ChazDaddy
2016/03/30 08:25:31
mettelus
The GPU is something you can also purchase after the fact. I have never run a machine without a dedicated GPU, so not sure what the true overhead is (SONAR is not 3D intensive, and even a GPU doesn't buy much in 2D performance). A dedicated GPU does relieve the CPU of some overhead, since the data is kicked to the GPU instead, but "how much" I am not sure of.
2016/03/30 08:52:20
Chazdaddy
mettelus- Thanks, I was thinking that a dedicated Graphics card would be a future potential add-on, for the same reasons you mention here, I usually configure my PC to use the most basic graphics available to save resources for audio too (looks a bit boring but I do not care so much as the DAW looks fine). I also plan to add an SSD too at some point.

ChazDaddy
2016/03/30 14:38:11
Chazdaddy
Another question- is the i5 overkill for my needs?
2016/03/30 23:10:11
SuperG
Chazdaddy
Another question- is the i5 overkill for my needs?

I wouldn't say so, but than I'm running an i7...
2016/03/31 09:20:07
Mesh
It might be good to thing to plan for the next 5+ years in using your new build, and get the BEST available parts (quality wise) that are within your budget. 

I also was on a budget and took my time in saving for it as I wanted a DAW that would last me at least 5-7 years (YMMV)......so far, I'm extremely happy I saved up to get the better parts (not necessarily the latest). I also have an i7 (after reading up reviews/benchmarks and on what others in here were using at the time/getting advice from everyone). If you can afford an i7, get it I say.....if not, get the best available i5. 
2016/03/31 19:03:14
SuperG
Mesh
It might be good to thing to plan for the next 5+ years in using your new build, and get the BEST available parts (quality wise) that are within your budget. 

+1 good advice

Most folks I know keep there PC's for at least 5 years. This new PC I'm using happens to replace my 5yo PC.

2016/03/31 19:37:09
ricoskyl
I think everyone's advice here is right on.  I upgraded recently to an i7 HP laptop with a touch screen.  The only regret was that I didn't pop for SSD storage.  I will probably add that (outboard), but because I often work away from the studio and I'd like to keep the footprint small, but I could have also added external HD storage and kept the SSD on the main chassis. That might have been a better choice for me.

I know this all doesn't apply directly to your situation, but I hope it helps.  Having spent considerably more on a CTO laptop, I'd be interested in hear what you end up with and how it works out for you.  You probably already know that your $ gets a lot more than it did 5 years ago.  Generally, I support Mesh and SuperG in suggesting that you avoid skimping here; even if you build a strong system today, your needs and uses for it will almost certainly increase so it';s a little like moving backward as technology advances.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account