2015/06/15 08:35:15
dcumpian
Of all the VSTi's I've ever used, the only ones that I have ever had problems with were either freeware or came with Sonar. As much as I love Sonar, it would take a lot for me to start buying Cakewalk instruments.

There are so many high quality VSTi's out there, I can't imagine why a company would try to break in to that market without making absolutely sure that the synth was like nothing else out there and was rock-solid to boot.

Regards,
Dan

2015/06/15 10:22:24
Doktor Avalanche
Yup they feel like freeware vst's. The exception though is Z3TA+2 but they didn't take enough pride in fixing some serious bugs (are you listening Cakewalk?). Oh and the other is drum replacer. It's not like Cakewalk aren't capable here. What I find impossible to work out is that they are totally on the ball with platinum but with plugins miles away. It's like two different companies. Maybe Gibson should buy a good vst instrument firm (buy fabfilter! Please!) :)
2015/06/15 10:33:09
Doktor Avalanche
BTW I'll be looking for rapture pro fixes by the end of the month. I also want Cakewalk to give a statement about chucking in better sample mangement and a setting section for a later release(I was asking about this even before it came out). Also I hope they tell us a service pack for z3ta+2 is imminent.

Otherwise I guess I'll probably join the refund brigade, and totally give up on cakewalk synths, spent too much time on this. Sorry Cakewalk I love Platinum but brand loyalty only goes so far. I will wait and hope for a bit longer though.
2015/06/15 13:21:12
AT
What?  A bad review?  Did Cakewalk not pay off the mag?  Remember this the next time some ignorant ahole makes that argument on this forum.  Maybe it should be stickied.

Anyway, I've had problems w/ Rap Pro but nothing I'd call a show stopper.  And there are plenty of libraries that cost good money that don't match up to the new stuff in Rap P.  And there are tones of stuff I'd like to see, like having a proportional control on the X/Y pads, the ability to assign engines/corners to the vector paid, and a granular engine (but I can make that for most synths!).  Rap P is basically a combo Dimpro and Rapture with more library and an emphasis on real time control that can use touchscreens.  Not a break though synth but just how many Moogs are there? 

And while acknowledging there is still plenty of work to do (why, oh why can't a synth find its samples? - that seems as basic as it gets) Cake is working on fixes.  In fact, I don't think I've seen as many quick fixes put out so quickly - even if that isn't strictly a good thing - it provides a shot of hope.  I'd much rather have that then abandonware. 

@
2015/06/15 14:32:26
Grumbleweed_
For those who think I dreamt the review as they can't find the latest edition - if you subscribe you get it earlier than the general public. I'm sure it will be out there in the real world soon enough.

Grum.
2015/06/15 14:33:02
Doktor Avalanche
Sadly with other DAW's away from Sonar there are showstoppers, and the samples should have just worked.... period. Also I purposely installed my Rapture Pro samples folder away from the older apps so I could do better housekeeping, but in the end I was left with three folders to manage samples with not one. I hoped RP would merge management of the samples together instead it fragmented it and made it worse.

I don't know who argued about paying off the mag to get a review, but I can tell you it is commonplace for some mags to negotiate some sort of a deal just to get the review. Editorial would still remain independent afterwards although it would be hard to see how. Note I'm not saying this happens for every review or indeed for the review you are talking about. With the internet though paid for mags though seem increasing less relevant nowadays so maybe this is becoming less commonplace.
2015/06/15 14:56:46
kitekrazy1
The Grumbleweed
For those who think I dreamt the review as they can't find the latest edition - if you subscribe you get it earlier than the general public. I'm sure it will be out there in the real world soon enough.

Grum.

The latest is July 2015.  You have not cited the exact issue which is labeled by month or issue#.

2015/06/15 22:41:35
mumpcake
In CM 218 (Virtual Vintage) the cover of the next issue indicates a review of Rapture Pro .  That would mean it would be in CM 219 (Ultimate Sidechaining). 
2015/06/16 00:15:30
AT
Doktor, no argument with me about the samples and I can see being thrown by other problems.  I don't really use Rapt Pro because of that.  Where I differ is I think Cake will get things sorted out, and I think it will be worth it.  I love performance pads.  In the meanwhile I like some of the presets, it has a great selection of samples that actually work, and it offers a lot of control.   Not perfect, for sure, but usable.

As to payola in the music mag business, every time there is a positive review someone somewheres brings out the old canard that companies pay for good reviews.  If you work in the publishing business, esp. reviews,  there is nothing quite as important as credibility.  If I say this product is the best thing since baked beans and a mag publishes it (and it doesn't matter what the product is - music software or cars or hotels) and enough customers buy the product and it kills their firstborn, they ain't going to take my word next time and never buy the magazine again (or that is how I'd react).  Magazines get about half their money from ads while the rest comes from you, the reader (and buyer).  If I was a publisher I'd spike a review of a product that wasn't up to snuff, not lie.  You put half your revenue stream at risk.  I'm not saying it ain't done, just that it doesn't make economic sense since when you can just not run the damn thing.  And as a writer, I've never been asked to do it by an editor.  I just wanted anyone that thinks that way to remember this review - and there have been others.

@
2015/06/16 00:57:05
SimpleManZ
How can the OP state something and cannot divulge a little of the information. We know of CM Magazine as giving:
1. A trophy value
2. A description (sometimes subjective)
3. A rating from 1 to 10
4. A closing 'pros and cons'
 I normally accept most of all CM Magazine input, so as a rating of 7 and below, is considered a lousy product.
They gave Sonar Platinum a Silver Award and a 9/10 rating.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account