2016/03/29 16:11:09
...wicked
So I'm slowly wringing out my new DAW build (in sig) and very recently I've started getting SONAR hangs of up to 45 seconds just waiting for it to think about something as simple as a NOW time jump or a play start. Commands cue up, so when I angrily hit the spacebar ten more times when I get a hang there reaches a point where SONAR tries execute all of those commands (I know I know, I need anger mgmt classes!)

Not sure if this was caused by a recent Win10 update or a driver problem...anyone have a good recipe for tracking down what is causing this hang-time issue?
2016/03/29 22:05:14
SuperG
Cortana?
2016/03/30 00:32:08
...wicked
Do you mean it might be causing it? 
2016/03/30 01:10:28
SuperG
It hasn't caused any problems for me, but I've heard of it offhand.

Here's a link to try: http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-high-cpu-usage-fix-490908.shtml

2016/03/30 08:07:28
MrMook
Ditch all the crap you really don't need in Win 10:

http://www.tenforums.com/...ws-10-a.html#option2s4
2016/03/30 08:26:52
dcumpian
Wouldn't latencymon catch those as they happen? If no, then I would still assume there must be other tools out there such as Process Explorer that might help you: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

Regards,
Dan

2016/03/30 10:59:31
Jim Roseberry
Before making any changes, I'd recommend creating a backup image file of the OS (just in case).
We had a client who uninstalled Windows apps (via normal uninstall routine)... and it caused problems with Windows Start Button.

The OP is running fairly recent make hardware... so I'm not sure some of those Win10 "Tweaks for high CPU use" are relevant.

The OP can open Task Manager and see what's hitting the CPU.
Latency Mon would also be a good tool to use.

Many motherboards come with software "Tuning Utilities".
If left running in the background, these often cause high DPC Latency and affect performance.
Make sure the app is closed (not running in the background) after Windows starts.

If TeamViewer is installed, make sure it's not running in the background.

The OP should also check Windows Updates settings... (disable any type of automatic or sharing/sending settings)
2016/03/30 13:33:13
...wicked
Thanks guys! Here's some updates.

Despite being able to run with wireless on in my previous DAW I disabled it and noticed most of the problems went away. most, but not all. While running SONAR I just started getting serious hangs of about a minute. The clicks would queue up, and when it came back to life it would process them all. Sometimes when this happens the mouse (a wireless MS mouse and keyboard) tracking would also stagger. Happens intermittently.

LatencyMon shows pretty good results for everything except Highest Reported hard Pagefault Resolution Time (which clocking in at 2682 micro-seconds)

Here's the thing: Task Manager doesn't show anything hitting the CPU very hard. DPC checker shows occasional bursts into the red, even with wireless off. 

I'll try other suggestions now (including backing up!). Motherboard utility might be a culprit.

2016/03/30 13:57:08
Jim Roseberry
...wicked
Here's the thing: Task Manager doesn't show anything hitting the CPU very hard. DPC checker shows occasional bursts into the red, even with wireless off. 

If you've got DPC Latency hitting into the Red... that'll kill performance.
If you've got the motherboard utility running in the background, that could certainly cause huge DPC Latency spikes.
2016/03/30 14:48:05
...wicked
Agreed!

I just spent some time running through Task Manager and uninstalling a few legacy things, tweaking my page file size, and doing a reg clean. Now I'm back up with WAY better results in DPC Latency Checker. Going to keep at it. Hopefully I just needed a good spring cleaning! :-)

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account