• Software
  • Momentum for iOS/Android/Mac/Win/VST/AU/AAX by Cakewalk - Uh Oh (p.5)
2017/09/28 13:02:20
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
SEVerstraten
I would assume the ideas captured in the app are saved somewhere in ' the cloud'. Will there also be a hassle free offline way to  sync these idea's to the DAW? A of members here have their main machine offline.

Cloud and offline use are not synonymous :) So to sync something you will at least temporarily need to be online on some PC. You could also sync on a different online PC and then bring over that project to your DAW manually using what ever manual method you use today. Once we're close to release we'll have more videos and content to show how seamless the integration with a DAW is.
2017/09/28 13:08:35
bapu
mister happy
...Creativity is all about immediacy and being able to capture or access musical ideas without getting bogged down...

A staggering number of old-timey "musicians" on this planet use staff notation for this purpose.

1950s'd
2017/09/28 13:46:15
michaelhanson
Fleer
If you have ever tried moving an idea you captured in your IOS environment to a PC or mac or even another device you might be aware of how horribly slow and convoluted that experience is :)

We hope that once you try it you will agree that there is nothing out there that has this level of simplicity to capture and access ideas anywhere on any device. Creativity is all about immediacy and being able to capture or access musical ideas without getting bogged down with sharing services and other time consuming cross platform constraints.

^^^ this

I can only speak from the experience of moving a recorded Voice Memo track from the iPhone to Sonar.  It is relatively easy to upload from the App, straight to Drop Box, then import directly from Drop Box to Sonar.  If this new App is even easier, that will be very welcome.

For the typical guitar playing song writer, what is really needed is an App that incorporates the ability to capture the base guitar track, as a scratch track, that you can move to Sonar.  From there, obviously you will use it as a guide track to record from a better source.  

What no one seems to be able to put together as a complete song writers App that has the ability to integrate this with a second track to be used for scratch vocals and then a lyric writing scratch pad.  It would be nice to be able to easily and quickly capture lyric ideas and then quickly demo those to the chord progressions to see how they sound; all before moving the scratch tracks into Sonar.  Most of my lyric ideas get captured at very inconvenient times, quickly by just speaking to Notes on my iPhone of iPad.  Often one line at a time, right in the middle of doing something else, so it has to be quick and easy to capture, before you forget the lyric idea.  

Integrating all of this into one simple to use App, that is quick to use would be extremely welcome.  Being able to type/ speak lyrics into an App, while actually listening to the scratch track play would be extremely welcome.  Right now, I have to jump from 3-4 Apps, Voice Memo, Notes, Chord Apps, Rhyming Apps, Thesaurus App, to make it all work and its not convenient at all.  
2017/09/28 13:55:12
mettelus
I didn't realize the hurdle to export from iOS until Jim mentioned it a short while ago, so I can certainly see the use on an iOS platform. For android, offloading is the same "Windows Explorer functionality" once the phone is tethered, so it has never been an issue for me (I only own android, no iOS devices). One of those "wait and see" things. The mobile app space is a different playing field, but the Millennials onward are much more apt to do everything in the mobile space (if possible).
2017/09/28 14:04:47
Ham N Egz
bapu
mister happy
...Creativity is all about immediacy and being able to capture or access musical ideas without getting bogged down...

A staggering number of old-timey "musicians" on this planet use staff notation for this purpose.

1950s'd

A pencil and staff paper is pretty bogged down to me ..

we are a right now society no patience

Nice to see the bakers joining IK with the I stuff

see i was nice I didnt say I Krap
2017/09/28 14:18:24
yorolpal
I follow the Mitch Hedburg rule.  I try and keep a pad and pencil or my phone handy in case I get an idea for a new song.  But if I think of one when they are not around...I just convince myself my idea's not that good anyway.

2017/09/28 16:31:57
pwalpwal
i could've sworn ryan or someone said they wouldn't do any more ios stuff?
2017/09/28 17:12:16
TerraSin
mettelus
I didn't realize the hurdle to export from iOS until Jim mentioned it a short while ago, so I can certainly see the use on an iOS platform. For android, offloading is the same "Windows Explorer functionality" once the phone is tethered, so it has never been an issue for me (I only own android, no iOS devices). One of those "wait and see" things. The mobile app space is a different playing field, but the Millennials onward are much more apt to do everything in the mobile space (if possible).

iOS is something I never consider as I too am Android only for mobile devices. When Noel posted his comment, my first response was "Are you kidding me? It takes seconds" but I can see how things might be a little different for iOS since Apple's unofficial slogan seems to be "make it as difficult as possible while keeping things simple" or more recently, "we've got a dongle for that!"

I'm really hoping this is a step in the right direction and works well.
2017/09/28 17:23:27
michaelhanson
IOS doesn't take any longer than Android. Upload to Drop Box, then Import to Sonar directly from Drop Box. It's very simple and easy.

I am excited to see what Cakewalk has come up with as well.
2017/09/28 17:25:30
azslow3
mettelus
I didn't realize the hurdle to export from iOS until Jim mentioned it a short while ago, so I can certainly see the use on an iOS platform. For android, offloading is the same "Windows Explorer functionality" once the phone is tethered, so it has never been an issue for me (I only own android, no iOS devices).

+1
I have used default sound recorder on my Android phone for "memos". The transfer was never the problem, but the interface shown in the video looks much better for the purpose. Lets see what is the "price" of this toy in terms of:
a) hardware requirements (my phone is very old)
b) the possibility to work offline (from the app perspective, so just saving things locally in a way explorer can deal with it... I mean if everything is in one folder with cryptic file names, that is not good)
c) $$$
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account