2015/12/16 18:16:49
Hoenerbr
Hi All,
I am both a Sonar Platinum user as well as a Pro Tools 12 user. One awesome feature that Pro Tools has that I'd love to see in Sonar is the Disc Cache. It allows a portion of your project (Hard Disk Tracks) to be loaded into RAM greatly enhancing the DAW experience. Anyone else want to see this???
2015/12/16 22:01:45
bvideo
If this is a feature request, it might be worth while to describe how it differs from Sonar's disk buffer size and cache settings options in Edit > Preferences > Audio - Sync and Caching.
2015/12/16 22:29:12
Hoenerbr
Well yes 1st of all this is a feature request. In Pro Tools 12 (Or 11) you can specify in GigaBytes the amount of Ram you want dedicated to the Session Audio playback/Recording not in Kilobytes like in Sonar. If you have enough Ram you can load very Large sessions into Ram. Its great for systems with one Hard Drive (Like a Laptop) but its still of great benefit to anyone.
2015/12/16 23:22:47
mudgel
If you put your post in the feature request forum we get the opportunity to show our support by voting or give a rating of your idea. We can't do this here.
2015/12/17 00:44:18
Hoenerbr
Thanks Mike! 
2015/12/17 01:29:10
KPerry
Ignore - dupe.
2015/12/17 01:32:02
KPerry
Not really, no: jumping around the timeline wouldn't benefit, and load times per project would be astronomical (*could* be, anyway), reducing usability. It would also complicate code ("is the data in cache or on disk?"), thus increasing the likelihood of bugs.

There's also increased chance of memory use clashes with large, sample-based plug-ins, reducing stability (try loading even a smallish sized BFD2 kit into memory and watch an 8GB machine crash and burn).
2015/12/17 02:16:23
slartabartfast
This sounds like a ram disk built into the ProTools application. A disk cache does not typically hold a full project, and really just acts as a very large buffer, but this feature apparently does. I can't think of a good reason not to do this except that I have never had a problem with my hard drives performance not permitting me to do what I do. It may well be helpful to someone. 
2015/12/17 05:13:11
THambrecht
With a SSD-Disc you can record and read over more than 100 tracks at the same time, so there is no need for a RAM-Disc. That comes from ancient times as there where no SSDs.
But you can create a RAM-Disc by yourself. There are many tools in the Internet for making RAM-Discs. Don't Forget to save the sessions to the real Disc after work - or it will be lost after rebooting the Computer.

2015/12/17 08:26:51
BobF
No thanks.  Too many other solutions out there, but honestly, the fact that PT 12 performance requires the use of RAMDisk isn't a Good Thing IMO.

I've never thought to myself that a RAMDisk would improve my experience with Sonar.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account