2015/12/17 10:56:11
mettelus
I definitely prefer dynamic allocation and release of memory. As mentioned above, this is requiring the user to guess, which is bound to be wrong, and takes memory away from samplers. If I say 8GB but only use 2GB, then 6GB is "locked out" for no reason.

What would be cool is something similar to Geist's RAM footprint. Geist tells you on the UI just how much memory it currently has allocated for the samples loaded. The user doesn't control this but can easily monitor how hungry Geist is while loading samples.

If only every VSTi had such a thing it would let users monitor more specifically than SONAR as a whole. SONAR is a host, so has very limited ability to "enforce" any VSTi's behavior.
2015/12/17 11:23:55
Hoenerbr
It isn't a requirement to Run PT12 just a feature! Yes it does cache the Timeline as well
The problem with using another program to create a RAM disk cache is you have to save it somewhere else later
I've loaded 4gig plus sessions into Ram and it doesn't take long
And if you don't want to wait you don't have to! It just fills it in as your working
2015/12/20 18:38:11
TheSteven
THambrecht
With a SSD-Disc you can record and read over more than 100 tracks at the same time, so there is no need for a RAM-Disc. That comes from ancient times as there where no SSDs.

+1

RamDisks are obsolete. You can get a 128GB SSD for $68 that's larger that any RAMDisk you're going to create.

Using SSD drives you can have Terabytes of storage as opposed to gigabytes and not have any load time penalties.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account