2015/12/19 09:28:09
ebibault51
Like many DAW users, I have learned music by doing, after having bought a MIDI keyboard. I cannot sight-read. Therefore, I hardly ever use the staff view.
But for MIDI editing, I often use the event list view and the piano roll view. The PRV has recently been updated and works better and better. However I have never felt at ease with the fact that this view is based on a left rotated piano. I think it’s easy for those who are used to working with the staff view, but for me, it would be more comfortable if I could see the piano keyboard like a real one, especially for the chords.
That’s why I suggest a new feature: a PRV rotate icon. It would allow us to work with a naturally positioned keyboard, and notes would scroll down.
(I had prepared a rotated picture to show you how it can be, but I can't upload it).
I am not sure it’s as simple as that to create this new feature. But my smartphone has got it, so why wouldn’t SONAR?
2015/12/20 15:01:36
Zargg
Voted. I think this is a good idea. Would make it more natural for piano /keyboards. But it would have to be optional, I think. 
All the best.
2015/12/20 23:28:02
mettelus
I would find this useful as well, a waterfall-style display is useful for not only view angle, but allows for more keys to be viewed since the horizontal width often trumps vertical anyway.

As an aside, if you Google "Black MIDI" the videos often display in this format (also to display the massiveness of those compositions - sort of who can play the most notes without giving their computer a coronary). This one is a 4 million note example, but the format makes the notes much easier to follow for me as well.
2015/12/21 14:10:52
arlen2133
Like the idea.  I often find myself tilting my head when using the PRV. 
Feel like Shaq in a Taco Bell commercial. so this would solve the problem rather easily.
I voted!!!
2015/12/21 17:36:35
Soundwise
Pitches are positioned vertically, while timing is horizontal. It has been like this for centuries. I believe, what you really are looking for is onscreen keyboard, displaying currently triggered pitches. Something like this:

2015/12/22 06:35:00
ebibault51
All your comments are interesting, thank you very much.

To Zargg 71: obviously it would be an option, because most people appreciate the current horizontal view. That's why I suggested an icon (maybe this was not clearly explained by me).

To Soundwise: before posting, I had the same thought. The timing is horizontal, so it's impossible to change this. But what about the event list view? It's vertically organized, and works well. Maybe you want an ELV rotate icon too ;-)
2015/12/22 15:35:52
Soundwise
ebibault51
To Soundwise: before posting, I had the same thought. The timing is horizontal, so it's impossible to change this. But what about the event list view? It's vertically organized, and works well. Maybe you want an ELV rotate icon too ;-)

List has a one dimensional flow, music notation is 2D. PRV is a Score to MIDI projection, while event list is just a ... list.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account