• Software
  • Win 10 Can Cause Audio Dropouts - Microsoft Forum Discussion Link
2018/03/11 13:26:45
mudgel
Hi Noel. If you’re around what do you make of this discussion on the MS forum.
2018/03/11 16:40:56
BassDaddy
Very interesting. Nice find Jim. I can't do much about it but this might be really important.
2018/03/11 16:55:56
mettelus
I just got Win10 less than a month ago, so the learning curve for me has been steep. While I have not yet experienced any audio dropouts, I have seen the inexplicable clipping that is mentioned in the OP (with a few VSTis this occurred at low levels). It seems from the OP like the OS is automatically deciding when to use "special mode."

Side note: Most VSTis I have tested thus far default to a 32 sample buffer on my Saffire (even after being opened and changed). The only way to override this that I can tell at this time is to ensure MixControl is open prior to the VSTi; but even then, some of these are then adjusting the Saffire because of talk back between the two so I am required to change it again.

I did not see either of these issues on Win7 :(
2018/03/12 19:21:14
abacab
I get the impression that there may be a bug in Win 10 audio processing that may be fixed in the next official build.
2018/03/12 20:03:59
azslow3
From the whole thread I get an impression OP has interesting imagination how memory management should work.
Matthew van Eerde
After looking at the traces, we see that your realtime thread is running into page faults when doing memcpy.

In simple words, the buffers was swapped to HDD...
People try to write "real time" code without explicit lock on used memory. So they complain the system has not automatically locked REQUIRED memory (how system should deduct which memory app developers are going to use for real time and which not?)
Later they complain that in case they start to lock memory, they will get out of memory quickly.
Well... if you have insufficient memory, it is not possible to keep things in it. They do not "fit". So the system swap. And so there can be hard locks. More or less logical, no?

As a practical advise, disabling swap can prevent many problems. That can also trigger "Out of memory", but then it is explicitly clear its time to get more RAM.
2018/03/14 14:26:15
bitflipper
They also mention DSP peaks on machines having no virtual memory. Sounds like a bug.

But hey, what harm can a mere 200 ms interruption do?

Oh, yeh. Make SONAR stop working. So there's that.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account