• Computers
  • Windows 10 Upgraded - Edirol UM880 Not Working (p.2)
2015/09/11 11:49:09
Muziekschuur at home
On the back of the UM880 is a switch to make it class compliant. That way Windows 10 will install it's microsoft driver for it. That's one way to go about. Much has changed in the MIDI support by Microsoft. So that would make it work. Another option is simply use the WIN8.1. driver.

But before you do. Just connect (after installing Win10) the UM880 and let it sit. After about half an hour it will probably be recognised and if Microsoft does have a driver it will make it available for you using Windows Update. Many drivers have been integrated by Windows. I am updating my studio right now. So I will let you know how I will succeed (or fail) with the UM880.

For more instructions look at page 47 of the manual.
2015/09/12 09:39:26
RickJP909
Hello Muziekschuur.
I've got both, the UM-550 & 880 and neither of these unit have such a switch to make them class compliant but you're right in that there appears to be a generic driver mode which can be invoked by following the startup mode procedure, by going into the setup mode and changing the driver operation mode which is great news as it means the device becomes OS agnostic!

That's a great find so thank you and it just shows you why we should all "read the manual" as it appears we all overlooked this feature!!!  Also thanks to Xhedron as you also mentioned something about this mode.

However the bad news is that it disables the FPT (Fast Processing Technology) for MIDI Transmission which means they maybe MIDI latency issues.  This remains for someone to test and report back.

Just in case people have lost the manual, here's that procedure which consists of pressing 4 buttons:

Specifying the startup mode

Here’s how you can specify the type of driver used by the UM-550/880, and how Patch mode will be selected.

1. Put the UM-550/880 in Setup mode. Simultaneously press the [P.SAVE] button and [UTILITY] button. The indicators of both buttons will light.

2. [UM-550] Press the INPUT [3] button.  [UM-880] Press the INPUT [5] button. A button's indicator will light, indicating the currently selected startup mode.

3. Select the desired startup mode. To change the type of driver that will be used Press one of the following buttons.

OUTPUT 1 = EDIROL original driver mode - FPT technology will be used to perform high-speed MIDI transfer. We recommend that you normally use this mode.

OUTPUT 2 = Generic driver mode - Use the standard MIDI driver provided by your operating system.

* FPT = Fast Processing Technology of MIDI Transmission: This optimizes MIDI data processing by making efficient use of the USB bandwidth according to the amount of MIDI data being transferred.
2015/09/14 13:10:29
JonD
Interestingly, Roland provides info on Win 10 drivers for a different, "lower end" midi interface, the UM-3G:

http://www.rolandus.com/support/by_product/um-3g/updates_drivers/350805

2015/09/16 08:53:52
Muziekschuur at home
The link to the UM880 files. The best 8 channel midi patchbay ever built.

http://www.roland.com/products/um-880/downloads/
2015/09/16 11:02:43
ibartley
Here's an update on what I've done.   I decided to go the route of setting the UM880 up to use the generic drivers.  There is no switch on back on the unit but I followed the instructions on page 49 of the manual.   That worked with no problem and the UM880 now works!!    

I can't say if there are any performance problems running in this mode but initially there are no obvious problems.   I did one quick test recording and everything seemed to work fine.   I'll continue working in this mode and let everyone know if I come across any problems.   Hopefully Roland will still update its drivers for Window 10 soon.  

2015/09/16 11:08:42
Jim Roseberry
If your MIDI controller driver won't install properly under Win10, try running the installer in Win7 or Win8 compatibility mode.  
ie: This works for installing the drivers for both Komplete Kontrol and Machine Studio.
2015/09/16 11:57:52
ibartley
Jim,
Unfortunately, I did try installing the driver in compatibility mode but it still would not install successfully.   It seems that it has a check for the OS and will not install since Win 10 does not pass the check.   A hack was provided earlier in this thread that would allow the driver to be installed but I've decided to use the generic class compliant drivers for the time being.
2015/09/21 04:14:23
Muziekschuur at home
Ibartley,

Does the powerup sequence needs to be done everytime. Or is it a one time only?
2015/09/22 22:45:31
ibartley
Hi Muziekschuur,

Sorry for taking so long to respond.  I haven't been at my computer for a few days.    

The power up sequence is persistent and only needs to be done once.  So far has been working pretty well for me.  I'd like to know other people's experience.

2015/09/29 18:30:41
Jpollock
this may help I got it off this site somewhere when I had problems with my PCR-500 and Sd-90 both from Edirol/Roland,
IT WORKED!!! I have the 700 running right now in Windows 10.  Still testing it for stability and have a few things I have yet to install... but so far so good.

Process I used (Many thanks to MACK for getting this far )  Will be a bit loquacious here, because I'm still not exactly where in this process I went wrong in my first attempt.  I took the liberty to go back up and copy much of Mack's helpful suggestions so we have everything in one place now.

My current system is an INTEL(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU  [link=mailto:920@2.67]920@2.67[/link]GHz with 9.00 GB (64-bit Operating System, X64-based processor) running Windows 8.1.  I'm running a fully updated version of Sonar Platinum Producer.

While still in Windows 8 I did the following steps (1-4):
1.  I uninstalled my 700 drivers and made sure my 700 was turned off (but didn't unhook it)
2.  I transferred my copy of the 700 V2.02 to the desktop.
3.  in the  \vs700_w81d_v202\vs700_w81d_v202\Files\64bit\Files\ folder I found the  RDIF1089.inf file and opened it in Notepad. 
4.  I cut and copied the following (from Mack's work above) into the [Manufacturer] section:
;---------------------------------------------------------------;
[Manufacturer]
%MfgName%=Roland,NTamd64.6.2,NTamd64.10
;[ControlFlags]
;ExcludeFromSelect=*
[Roland]
;; Windows7 - Windows XP 64
;; not supported
[Roland.NTamd64.10]
;; Windows8
%RDID0089DeviceDesc%=RDID0089Install, USB\VID_0582&PID_00FD ; VS-700
%RDID0090DeviceDesc%=RDID0090Install, USB\VID_0582&PID_00FE ; VS-700 M1
%RDID0091DeviceDesc%=RDID0091Install, USB\VID_0582&PID_00FF ; VS-700 M2
%RDID0089DeviceDesc2%=RDID0089Install, USB\VID_0582&PID_0100 ; VS-700
%RDID0091DeviceDesc2%=RDID0091Install, USB\VID_0582&PID_0101 ; VS-700 M2
[Roland.NTamd64.6.2]
;; not supported
;---------------------------------------------------------------;
5. Installed Windows 10 (At the end I had a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 card that did not load up so my video looked wonky.  Also the second monitor isn't working because of this... but I'm ignoring this for now)
6. Went into the Device Manager (right click the Microsoft logo on the bottom left and open the Device Manager) and disabled everything that was in the sound, video, and game controllers folder (I have an onboard audio, MOTU 2408 PCI card, and NVIDIA options here that you might not have)
7. Turned off the driver-signing signatures:  I'll outline the procedure here for Windows 10.
-Find the power options on the Start Menu (the microsoft symbol in the bottom left).
-Hold down the SHIFT key while you click Restart.
-Once your computer has rebooted you will be able to choose the Troubleshoot option.
-Head into Advanced options.
-Head into Startup Settings.
-You will select the restart option.
-After it restarts again, you will be given a list of startup settings. The one we are looking for is “Disable driver signature enforcement”. To choose the setting, you will need to press the F7 key.
-Your PC will then reboot and you will be able to install unsigned drivers without any error message.
8.  Run the setup.exe from the VS700_w82d_v202 directory \vs700_w81d_v202\vs700_w81d_v202\Files\64bit\ folder and install as you would normally.  When prompted plug in/turn on your 700 interface. (Note, if you've already installed the driver before, the install tool may prompt you to uninstall and reboot - if this happens, you'll have to turn-off driver signing and reboot again!) (I did try this and it does work to uninstall and reinstall...)
Once detected, you should get a warning about installing unsigned drivers.  Just accept the risk and let the driver install.

If all goes well, after a few minutes, drivers will install and the installer program will run to completion...

I went and started my Sonar Platinum program and everything worked perfectly except for Addictive Drums which now didn't recognize my computer!  Reran the XLN Online Installer and added the computer to the profile and after some waiting had it running again in SONAR.

I now will install the NVIDIA graphics drivers and see about getting my monitors back and start using this puppy again... let you know if I run into anything else that's crazy...

Best
Dur

the PCR-500 works fine but no Luck with the SD-90 hope  it'll help
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account