2015/12/05 21:17:50
mcdonalk
I wholeheartedly agree with Mr. Anderton about a single waveform across the whole keyboard. I recall that when the original Rapture was initially released, it was promoted as having incorporated unique anti-aliasing technology. Perhaps this was more than just hype.
   I have found no other SW synthesizer that has the pleasing effect that Rapture has when a single element is used in multi-mode and detuned. Using single-cycle waveforms (many from Galbanum Architecture Waveforms), I have achieved many smooth, shimmering pads using Rapture that I have not been able to duplicate in my other SW synthesizers using the same waveforms (including Z3ta +2 and Alchemy (may the PC version rest in peace)). In general, I use Rapture a lot because, for a waveform playback based-synthesizer, it just sounds very good.
2015/12/06 03:43:50
Soundwise
Anderton

Also, the audio engine is off the hook. I've made a lot of presets with a single wav file because I could get away with stretching it over the range of the keyboard. There's something very natural about the way Rapture does transposition...in some ways it reminds of a real guitar string, the way the timbre shifts as you move up the neck.

Does that apply to RPro audio engine as well?
2015/12/06 07:12:47
gswitz
I just love it.

I use it at least half the time I plugin.

Are you skilled with synths? There are lots of commonalities between synthesizers that can be learned and travel with you from one to the other. I enjoyed rapture before going through Syntorial, but after Syntorial I have a much better chance of going for something and getting it.

I do use rapture pro with a touch screen, which adds specialness.

People are right that there are some issues, but I'm able to have tons of fun with it. I always record audio with the midi and so have to turn up my sample buffers so my computer can keep up when the song gets rolling. Using my Roland gr20, lots of data gets sent and it can cause dropouts of I let it get too hot. I will back off my guitar if the processor climbs too high.

I wouldn't let rapture go. The soundscapes it produces are chilling.

If I could improve it, I'd make it so I did not have to fear processor overload while using it.
2015/12/06 11:11:24
Anderton
Soundwise
Anderton

Also, the audio engine is off the hook. I've made a lot of presets with a single wav file because I could get away with stretching it over the range of the keyboard. There's something very natural about the way Rapture does transposition...in some ways it reminds of a real guitar string, the way the timbre shifts as you move up the neck.

Does that apply to RPro audio engine as well?

Yes, and although I can't put my finger on it, the EB5 patches that I've ported over to create the 2.0 version sound better. I asked Cakewalk if changes had been made to the audio engine, but I got a non-specific answer that there were multiple changes, and some may very well have improved the audio engine. However I don't think there was a concerted attempt to re-do the engine so functionally; it acts like Rapture.

BTW one of the reasons I'm warming up to Rapture Pro is because of the Instruments page. For example, there are no more separate "pure" and "growl" patches in the EB5 2.0 pack because one of the instrument controls can add "growl." (However, the pack does include the legacy "pure" and "growl" patches from the original EB5 expansion pack in case the EB5 is already in use in a project and you want the same patch.)
2018/01/14 13:53:44
melancholytechnicolour
I was sooo disappointed with Rap Pro, the clunky primitive UI, the massive CPU drain, the library probs referred to above. (The Doc nailed it and now, look, Cakewalk have folded, precisely coz they issued rubbish, when all along they had in the original Rapture one of the finest softsynths ever made.) I returned Rap Pro within a few days of buying it and to be fair to Cakewalk they issued a refund. STILL use Rapture on a 32bit bridge, always will, one of the sweetest sounding machines ever made <3
2018/01/14 20:25:33
gswitz
2018/01/17 04:50:53
Magic Russ
melancholytechnicolour
STILL use Rapture on a 32bit bridge, always will, one of the sweetest sounding machines ever made <3

Why not just use the 64 bit version?

2018/01/17 06:33:43
CakeAlexSHere
Ancient thread.

Yeah Rapture Pro, tastes great.. smooth.. never fully developed and a bug trail that was legendary here and outside these forums.

2018/01/17 07:29:42
dubdisciple
CakeAlexSHere
Ancient thread.

Yeah Rapture Pro, tastes great.. smooth.. never fully developed and a bug trail that was legendary here and outside these forums.

Are you seriously going to chime in on every thread about how "buggy" everything is? Do you have a life? Rapture's issue wasn't bugs but people simply not getting it. Simple things were unintuitive.
2018/01/17 07:41:29
CakeAlexSHere
^ Another "Offended person" lashing out.

Sorry you can't handle the truth but Rapture Pro was the buggest synth I've ever used, and this is common knowledge. When released it was in an alpha state. It managed to stabilise eventually, it took AGES for those service packs to arrive. Still has appalling sample management. Still quite enjoy using it but it should have been MUCH better.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account