2017/02/16 20:00:35
craigb
henkejs
@craigb: I was really disappointed when I went to install Picasa on my new PC and found out it was no longer supported. It was my favorite photo management tool on WinXP. Like you, I'm not going to let Google keep my documents online.

True, it's not supported anymore (meaning no more updates), but I still installed it on my Windows 10 machine and use it every day.
2017/02/21 07:16:26
patm300e
I use Photoshop Elements...The Organizer is very nice.  I typically do not spend the time to edit the pictures though.  I take too many, but the batch import can automatically fix red eye!

2017/02/21 10:30:36
Moshkito
patm300e
I use Photoshop Elements...The Organizer is very nice.  I typically do not spend the time to edit the pictures though.  I take too many, but the batch import can automatically fix red eye!

Why the heck would I want a program to "organize" my pictures, since I already have them organized in their own folder with dates?  Weird ... allowing a program to do for you what it can not do, and change dates on things left and right, which is bad. My box of negatives is listed by dates, and event. So I know where my GONG pictures come from, and other bands, for example.

From a professional standpoint, and I ran a photo lab that did school and sports piccies for kids and all that, and we printed everything with a Lucht and Peko and such. The bigger problem for these photo labs, was that they were not turning digital fast enough to keep up with the demand, like ID cards the same day or next as the school pictures and all that. The printing machines at the time (18 years ago) were the crap, and the paper was even more expensive, than feasible for any photo lab.

Nowadays, you can buy the paper at Wal-Mart, or Fred Meyer/Kroger and it's not that bad, however, I have not seen, any program that can bring up the pictures, help clean it up and then print it, and maybe Photoshop is the better one here, but I am not about to spend $600 dollars on it. However, for professional work this would be necessary, as you could clear spots and dots and scratches on the film (if scanned), and take out red eye and such for fairly good family pictures ... with one exception. I am not a fan of these pictures beyond 8x10 at all, as the quality is not good enough it seems, but I wonder if the problem is the computer thinking it can not print something that looks like a 16x20 on the computer, but in actuality you only need a 5x7. That resolution and size change is a bit worrisome, and not an issue in a photo lab. We had cameras that could take expand with lenses and such to a fairly large print.

But there was a trick here for larger pictures. 8x10's and beyond from a 35mm film is grainy. But from a 645 film, or a 120/220 film it's not an issue, until you go past 16x20. I have not studied or seen how this has been handled on any digital camera as yet, and have been trying to find information on it, only to get side stepped to something else about digital. The "size" of the digital print can determine how good your print will be, but this is something that is usually only visible on a professional lab, not at home.
2017/02/21 14:17:26
DrLumen
The size of the printed pic depends on the resolution of the camera and the dpi of the pic (if set in software) and printer. IMS, the digital printers at the drug stores and the like are about 240dpi. In the case of Walgreens, they have a crop utility in their uploader so you can set the size of the prints regardless of the dpi and resolution. Then is when you get crap enlargements like when you have a low res pic printed at poster size. When I create graphics or have them print a picture I let the dpi and resolution dictate the size. Actually, to be more correct, I dictate the dpi so the size comes out based on the resolution. Eg. 3840 x 4800 pixels @ 240 dpi (x&y) would be a 16" x 20".
2017/02/21 15:23:15
sharke
Moshkito
Why the heck would I want a program to "organize" my pictures, since I already have them organized in their own folder with dates?  Weird ... allowing a program to do for you what it can not do, and change dates on things left and right, which is bad. My box of negatives is listed by dates, and event. So I know where my GONG pictures come from, and other bands, for example.

There are plenty of reasons why you'd want better organizational functionality than just grouping things into folders by date. You say you list your box of negatives by dates and event. Well what if you wanted to access all of the photos you took on one day, but at another time you wanted to access all of the photos taken on one day but only at a specific event, or time? What if you wanted to access all of the photos you've ever taken at f2.8? Or with a slow shutter speed? What if you had all of your photos tagged with keywords, so for example if you're working on a project that needs a photo containing a fire hydrant, you can simply search for "fire hydrant" and bingo, all of them appear? What if you wanted to rate your photos out of 5, and then you wanted to access all photos rated 4 or higher taken with a certain lens at Gong shows between a specified range of dates? 

You can do all of this with Lightroom, and it's easy. 

You can subscribe to Adobe's Photography Plan, which includes Lightroom and Photoshop, for only $9.99/month. It's amazing value if you're a keen or professional photographer, and some of the development tools that are available now - stuff like sharpening and noise reduction - are almost magical in their abilities. Amazing times indeed. 
2017/02/21 15:40:43
craigb
I don't know of anyone except you, Pedro, who organizes thousands of photos only by date.  I have well over a hundred thousand images that would be completely useless if I didn't have something to help me organize, catalog, bulk rename and add search tags.
2017/02/21 15:50:06
paulo
craigb
I don't know of anyone except you, Pedro, who organizes thousands of photos only by date.  I have well over a hundred thousand images that would be completely useless if I didn't have something to help me organize, catalog, bulk rename and add search tags.

You need to start thinking outside of the box and look within yourself. Don't just settle for what is popular and easy. It's not about the type of photo or the order of the photos, it's about what you feel.
2017/02/21 16:24:14
John
Windows file explorer does have preview as an option. Use large thumbnails  have the file preview window pane open and you can do it all from there. Also have another file explorer open and simply drag the ones you want to print to it a new directory. 

I'm not sure which version started this but its been in Windows for awhile now.

2017/02/21 18:27:15
SteveStrummerUK
John
Windows file explorer does have preview as an option. Use large thumbnails  have the file preview window pane open and you can do it all from there. Also have another file explorer open and simply drag the ones you want to print to it a new directory. 

Hey John you old devil ....

What do you keep in the second folder down 

2017/02/21 18:47:44
paulo
SteveStrummerUK
John

Hey John you old devil ....

What do you keep in the second folder down 

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account