2018/05/07 14:47:45
StevenMikel
 Has anybody tried mixing with pink noise? After watching some videos about it,it could save a lot of time and headaches.I'm going to try it.
2018/05/17 08:31:02
montezuma
You might want to find 'Joe Gilder's' youtube video on mixing with pink noise before you dive in boots and all. He shows it to be straight up inaccurate. Some people swear by it. I could never mix like that, and personally I think it's a bit strange. 

2018/05/17 19:17:19
Jeff Evans
It is a tool designed to help you balance a number of sources.  It may also help in getting ref levels better and more accurate with a full mix.  The problem is it brings extra noise and sound into your music which is sort of unnecessary.  You can balance things nicely without pink noise as well.  It is called listening, and use your ears!  Make the necessary changes. With care you can also arrive at the perfect rms ref level for your mix at the same time. 

The noise is relentless and is also effecting your ears constantly over time.  You may be better off listening to the music without the noise present. 
2018/05/19 01:33:42
Chandler
I've tried it and it worked ok. Better than what Joe Gilder's video showed, but I found in the end it didn't work perfectly and it took too much time. I found it was easier to just use a reference track and adjust the balance that way. At first just use my ears and then go over it a 2nd time A/Bing with a reference at the same volume. Then after that is done start mixing.
2018/05/27 04:16:20
Jesse G
I've tried it as well.  It's get you pretty close to the correct levels but when you then start panning you have to re-adjust your levels again, bit it's not bad and keeps you in the ball park.
2018/05/27 21:53:52
StevenMikel
I still haven't tried it,I might not.There seemed to be a buzz about it for a couple of weeks on some of the YouTube channels I follow .I watched some of the videos and,it looked like it could be useful but,I'm already use to balancing things with my ears. I imagine if you had  several songs to mix in a short period of time it could come in handy,especially if there are high track counts.
2018/05/28 00:29:32
dubdisciple
It’s an ok method that may help beginners with initial levels. It’s not some magic formula. It mostly works on music that follows a very predictable pattern. I see no harm in trying it
2018/05/29 09:03:46
garybrun
Its seems a lot off effort and not worth it for me anyway.
Its good in theory...  but doesn't work in practise.  :-)
2018/05/29 10:18:21
Jeff Evans
I think maybe it can work. It creates a reference noise floor that you are comparing something becoming just audible over the pink noise.  One at a time.  If you do that for a number of sources, and switch the pink noise off then it is feasible the resultant tracks will be reasonably well balanced.  Fine tuning without the noise would be inevitable. 

I believe you can also get there will careful mixing and balancing of sources without any noise present.  VU meters can also work a bit this way too.  If you get each source to move the needle the same amount e.g. reaching -8 dB VU. then when you put them all on at once the VU will read nicely up to 0 dB VU say and the sources will also be well balanced. Fine tuning is also inevitable in this case too. 
2018/05/29 10:47:08
garybrun
I use the VU meter when balancing kick and bass.
Bring kick to -3 and then bring bass in until you reach zero,
I then work from there.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account