• Computers
  • Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? (p.3)
2016/01/13 02:53:38
Vastman
Bunch of us have moved to win 10...with no problems, it works better... And the latest SPlt had a bunch of improvements with speed inn w10...

In the time you've been typing and running in circles here you could have installed it, tried it and if you have ANY problems, rolled back all ready.

I just don't get it...
2016/01/13 02:58:35
kennywtelejazz
Vastman
Bunch of us have moved to win 10...with no problems, it works better... And the latest SPlt had a bunch of improvements with speed inn w10...

In the time you've been typing and running in circles here you could have installed it, tried it and if you have ANY problems, rolled back all ready.

I just don't get it...

Who may you be talking to Sport ?

Kenny
2016/01/13 06:25:24
slartabartfast
kitekrazy1
 Retail license allows you to move to a different machine, change hardware, ect.  If you have a previous W7,W8 Retail license your Windows 10 will be a retail license.
 If you have an OEM you will have to buy a new license every time you change MB and CPU.

That looks to be correct, although there are also tech journalists who have stated that the wording of statements that the upgrade is locked to the computer that it was originally installed on supersede the idea that the license rights conferred on the previous version are transferred to the new Win10 upgrade version. How many iterations of a retail version you can go back is a little vague. If you installed an XP upgrade on a full retail Win2K machine, then moved that to a new machine on the basis that it had inherited transfer rights from Win2K, then upgraded the new machine to Win7 upgrade then to Win 10 do you still inherit transfer rights? Win 7 OEM has been the only non-retail version of Windows  that explicitly licensed a "system builder," i.e. someone who assembles his own machine for personal use rather than sale, to transfer his copy to another machine. Windows 8 does not license the OEM version to be used by such systems builders at all, so finding a right to transfer is problematic, and those built by Windows distributors are locked to the machine they are sold with. Windows 8 licensing removed that "system builder" license again. So is a Win7 OEM installed on a machine you built yourself upgraded to Win10 movable, but a Win 8 copy in the same situation tied to the machine? Perhaps the difficulty of working out niggling like this explains why so many people have had questionable activations approved by Microsoft phone support.

In any event, you will probably have to deal by phone with MS in the event that you move your copy to a new machine, as the activation robot will assume it is the same copy being installed on a second machine. Without a product key, the usual method of deactivating or removing the product key  from your old installation is problematic.
2016/01/13 08:48:51
petec
Although nobody seems to have mentioned it, would I be correct in assuming all you guys that have upgraded to Win10 successfully have done so after doing a full backup of your system?

Or did you jump straight in and treat Win10 as a usual (if lengthy) windows update? Is it that reliable/safe?

2016/01/13 09:00:23
fireberd
I do regular full hard drive backups with Macrium Reflect.  When I did my upgrade of my production system I had a full back up of Win 8.1 to fall back on, if needed.  However, I'm in the "insider program" and had been using preview (pre release/beta versions) for almost a year and was already into Win 10. 

2016/01/13 09:29:43
Sidroe
Honestly, the only glitches I had updating to 10 was my Addictive Drums 2 had to be re-verified. All I had to do was run the XLN Installer program and it re-verified immediately. This also happened when I upgraded to the 1151 Build.  I, too, opted for the in place installment. The guy is right about upgrade to 10, don't like it, rollback.
2016/01/13 10:00:07
joel77
Can one still roll back? I was under the impression that ended late last year.
2016/01/13 10:52:47
Glyn Barnes
The only issue I had was having to reauthorize Addictive Drums (easy) and Independence Pro (still have not got that sorted, support ticket for extra authorizations unanswered. I need to follow up).
2016/01/13 12:48:40
kzmaier
I would suspect moving forward with Sonar, rolling updates, we would be better off moving to win 10.  I would expect the new os to get the most test and development attention.
2016/01/13 20:24:28
gmp
It seems that when Cakewalk started talking about the yearly subscription they said that many software companies were going to that, even MS with their OS. At that time I thought that Win 10 was a yearly subscription service, not a one time fee, like all the other versions. This is one of the reasons I steered clear of Win 10.

Since so many in this thread know so much about Win 10 and MS, can some of you chime in on this please? First of all I think I'm wrong about Win 10 being a yearly subscription service. Is that right?

And secondly what have you heard in regard to this? I realize there can always be unfounded rumors and conspiracy theories out there also. I just want to straight facts if MS is going in this direction. Someone even said that Win 10 is the last OS and from then it will be a cloud sort of subscription service with the Apps not even being on our HDs - now this one sounds pretty scary and I certainly hope this is unfounded. Actually with all this free upgrade offers even from Win 7, it does make one wonder if MS is going to surprise us in a not so nice way.

Thanks for all the info in this thread already.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account