• Computers
  • Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? (p.5)
2016/01/14 10:26:52
JonD
kennywtelejazz
The essence of what happened was I refused to update to Windows 8.1 first and I had no intention of budging from that position.

SONAR is running much better on this machine in Win 10 64 than it ever did in Win 8 64...
Also to my utter shock and surprise Project 5 seems to be running a lot better also in Win 10 than it did in Win 8...

Good riddance  Win 8 ...you really Sucked 

Kenny, no offense, but Win 8 sucked because you didn't go to 8.1 which ironed out most of the issues.
I don't know anyone who stopped at Win 8 and has a stable system (With a diverse set of software installed.  If all you're doing is playing Hearts, it's probably fine). 

I'm sure you had your reasons for not going to 8.1, but to say Win 10 is much better than 8 is not saying much at all.  Had you gone to 8.1, you might have very well decided to skip Win 10 for the time being.

Just saying...
2016/01/14 11:45:48
ston
John
There is nothing to fear but fear itself!  

Not pain, not failure, not fatal tragedy?
Not the faulty units in this mad machinery?
Not the broken contacts of emotional chemistry?

I couldn't 'elp it, guv.
2016/01/14 12:06:13
kennywtelejazz
JonD
kennywtelejazz
The essence of what happened was I refused to update to Windows 8.1 first and I had no intention of budging from that position.

SONAR is running much better on this machine in Win 10 64 than it ever did in Win 8 64...
Also to my utter shock and surprise Project 5 seems to be running a lot better also in Win 10 than it did in Win 8...

Kenny, no offense, but Win 8 sucked because you didn't go to 8.1 which ironed out most of the issues.
I don't know anyone who stopped at Win 8 and has a stable system (With a diverse set of software installed.  If all you're doing is playing Hearts, it's probably fine). 

I'm sure you had your reasons for not going to 8.1, but to say Win 10 is much better than 8 is not saying much at all.  Had you gone to 8.1, you might have very well decided to skip Win 10 for the time being.

Just saying...

@Jon D

Rather than screwing around with my Win 8 computer...
I went out and I bought a brand new Win 10 computer for the sole purpose of finding out for myself if I could Vibe with Win 10 while using Splat and a few other things ...
Having gone there first , that was all the convincing I needed .

That sure don't sound like playing games to me . Where I come from , having a solid workable plan in place is plain old simple common sense ...
I was able to get very good performance and stability in Win 8 ..  I simply hated the OS .....
Working in Win 8 felt as exciting and as creative as putting in a day at the office in a cubicle ..I have never felt that way when using  OSX
I have no desire whatsoever to use Windows 8 in any incarnation for any reason any more ...period ...end of story......

have a good one ,

Kenny

PS .    Good Riddance to you Windows 8 ... Windows 8 You Really Sucked ...

Just saying  .....

2016/01/14 12:18:53
papacucku
@gmp Can you take a macrium reflect image of the machine then upgrade from 8 to 10?  I went right from 7 to 10 and I really like 10.  
2016/01/14 12:28:59
John
JonD
kennywtelejazz

Just saying...

Yes Windows 8.1 did fix somethings in 8. However it also broke somethings I liked about 8. Windows 10 has pretty much fixed all the issues I had with Win 8 and 8.1. The biggest one being apps not able to run along side programs. 

With Windows 10 an app is the same as a program to the end user. There still needs some work but by and large its very well on its way to being an outstanding OS. Its a lot better than either 8 or 8.1. BTW they were very good OSs too. 
2016/01/14 12:33:36
...wicked
I haven't read all these posts, but I just upgraded from W7 to W10 and it was painless (like, surprisingly so). After the update my Octa-Capture wasn't being seen so I went to download the W10 drivers and came to a read me that said they would be installed automatically (HA!), I went back to my desktop and lo and behold while I was reading about it Windows went and acquired the drivers automatically. Say what?!

I'm seeing small speed increases in boot time and so far performance has been problem-free. For a free upgrade you can't beat that.

2016/01/14 12:53:40
gmp
papacucku
@gmp Can you take a macrium reflect image of the machine then upgrade from 8 to 10?  I went right from 7 to 10 and I really like 10.  

Actually I have tons of Acronis images and when I make the plunge I'll try the dual boot Win 10 and Win 8. I'll post back here how this all works out.  If this guy at this other forum below is correct, I'll have the extra safeguard. Here's what he said:
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
https://discuss.howtogeek...his-situation/40312/17
Again, you're confusing Activation with Licensing.
Microsoft doesn't kill your Activation record for your old Windows 8.1 key, so you can re-install Windows 8.1 on the same system down the road, even if you upgrade to Windows 10.
But the legal right to use Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 at the same time does go away. Legally, you are supposed to decide between one or the other. Microsoft's EULA does say that you must have two separate licenses to install two copies of the OS on the same computer, AKA dual booting.
Again, from a practical standpoint, I've never seen that enforced. No one is going to stop you from keeping Windows 8.1 on a second partition if you have trouble with 10, and certainly no one is going to stop you from re-installing 8.1 later if 10 fails for you in some way you don't notice in the first 30 days.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
2016/01/14 13:08:42
ChristopherM
If you do migrate from 8.1 to 10, be sure to retain your licence key for 8.1. You will need it if you ever need to reinstall Windows 10 (as the upgrade does not generate a valid Win 10 key). I found this out the hard way as a consequence of a mobo failure. When I booted up with the replacement mobo, Win 10 decided it was no longer activated. Even using the phone-based MS Support line, I was getting nowhere - the agent actually told me that I would have to reinstall Windows 8.1 and then upgrade again (!!!). While I was on hold as he sought his supervisor's opinion as I had rejected this solution, I did some googling and found that MS has now made it possible to activate Win 10 with a valid Win8.1 key. I tried that and Win 10 immediately activated. I never heard what the supervisor had to say.
2016/01/14 14:03:19
JonD
kennywtelejazz

@Jon D

Rather than screwing around with my Win 8 computer...
I went out and I bought a brand new Win 10 computer for the sole purpose of finding out for myself if I could Vibe with Win 10 while using Splat and a few other things ...
Having gone there first , that was all the convincing I needed .

That sure don't sound like playing games to me . Where I come from , having a solid workable plan in place is plain old simple common sense ...
I was able to get very good performance and stability in Win 8 ..  I simply hated the OS .....
Working in Win 8 felt as exciting and as creative as putting in a day at the office in a cubicle ..I have never felt that way when using  OSX
I have no desire whatsoever to use Windows 8 in any incarnation for any reason any more ...period ...end of story......

have a good one ,

Kenny

PS .    Good Riddance to you Windows 8 ... Windows 8 You Really Sucked ...

Just saying  .....

Um, I've read your post twice and still have no idea what you're saying.  All I said was 8.1 is known to be solid for the vast majority of people.  You were on 8.0 and if you couldn't be bothered to try the update, that's fine.

Not trying to convince you to revert (if that's what you're thinking).

But hey, you're happy, so whatever.
2016/01/14 14:14:49
wetdentist
so are people happy with the free Windows 10, the one whose updates you can't control?
did you have to do a clean install, or the other quicker easier install?

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account