• Computers
  • Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? (p.6)
2016/01/14 15:49:42
bapu
I'm happy with my Win 10 upgrade.

I had to re-auth AD2 and a few others. Not bad considering the amount of plugins I own.
2016/01/14 15:51:46
jatoth
Nothing is free!
You will be paying one way or another. Win10 home will be paid for by advertisements in the "apps". MS is selling you just like Google. Most of the included apps in the home version will be "Ad based", and stripped down versions (think solitaire, wordpad, notepad, etc.). To get rid of the annoyances, or to use the "full" version of any included apps, you will need to "subscribe" to the "pro/enterprise" version.
For me, Windows 7 Pro works fine and I will continue using it until the computer needs to be replaced. If at some point Sonar stops working on Win7, I will no longer upgrade Sonar. If I was unfortunate enough to have Win 8 or 8.1, then I would probably bite the bullet and go for Win 10.
Just my $.02. YMMV
2016/01/14 15:53:17
Shambler
My experience of upgrading from 8.1 to 10 was going well, no issues for a few weeks.

However it then started to play up, clicking on the 'start' button did nothing except make the taskbar flicker for a bit.

Searching for a solution I found many people with a similar issues, there were many 'fixes' out there none of which worked...the last thing I tried was to format the drive and reinstall but it still had the same issue.

I suppose it could have been a broken update and the same thing could happen with 8.1 but for now I'm sticking where I am...once bitten twice shy and all that :)
2016/01/14 20:04:37
Tom Riggs
wetdentist
so are people happy with the free Windows 10, the one whose updates you can't control?
did you have to do a clean install, or the other quicker easier install?

If you have the pro version you can control the updates although MS does not make it particularly easy to do it.

The most obvious thing for me was to disable the drivers updates. I generally left the security updates automatically update. There are tools that will help you make the changes to the registry that allow you to control when the updates download and install. So much of the forced updates can be controlled if you wish.

I am running it on my laptop but have not installed it on my DAW yet.
2016/01/14 20:21:16
Paul P

Won't doing a clean install also clean up a possibly very messy registry ?  I don't think I'd want my w10 to inherit all the dross I've accumulated over the years from running w7, and uninstalling programs that don't clean up when they leave.

My problem is that I absolutely hate the plain square windows in w10.  Since that is what I stare at all day long, I just can't bring myself to update.  And I don't trust Microsoft to not turn my OS into a store full of ads.

2016/01/14 22:28:32
kennywtelejazz
JonD
kennywtelejazz

@Jon D

Rather than screwing around with my Win 8 computer...
I went out and I bought a brand new Win 10 computer for the sole purpose of finding out for myself if I could Vibe with Win 10 while using Splat and a few other things ...
Having gone there first , that was all the convincing I needed .

That sure don't sound like playing games to me . Where I come from , having a solid workable plan in place is plain old simple common sense ...
I was able to get very good performance and stability in Win 8 ..  I simply hated the OS .....
Working in Win 8 felt as exciting and as creative as putting in a day at the office in a cubicle ..I have never felt that way when using  OSX
I have no desire whatsoever to use Windows 8 in any incarnation for any reason any more ...period ...end of story......

have a good one ,

Kenny

PS .    Good Riddance to you Windows 8 ... Windows 8 You Really Sucked ...

Just saying  .....

Um, I've read your post twice and still have no idea what you're saying.  All I said was 8.1 is known to be solid for the vast majority of people.  You were on 8.0 and if you couldn't be bothered to try the update, that's fine.

Not trying to convince you to revert (if that's what you're thinking).

But hey, you're happy, so whatever.

What I am saying in plain simple English is this ...

I had no reliability issues what so ever in Win 8.0 ...I did not like the OS .

I'm not alone in that feeling. There are people in this very thread and all throughout the whole Cakewalk community that are still using Win 7 . Many of them have absolutely no desire whatsoever to use Win 8 .1 .

Whats not to understand ?

Kenny

2016/01/14 22:40:34
Anderton
FWIW, I tried 8.1 (never went through 8) and like Kenny, didn't like the OS itself (the Metro/Desktop dichotomy drove me nuts) so I went back to 7. OTOH I took an immediate liking to W10, it felt comfortable.
2016/01/15 04:56:40
ChristopherM
Once I had added Classic Start Menu to Windows 8 (then 8.1), I found it to be an excellent OS - that is, reliable and largely unobtrusive. Win 10 (again with Classic Start Menu) seems almost indistinguishable to me in terms of performance. What has changed is that Windows 10 is a control freak. It is invariably unnecessarily complicated to tweak/diagnose/find anything to do with the workings of the OS, and the forced updates thing is unnerving (especially when it interferes with hardware - it relentlessly uninstalled an Intel graphics driver update that I had applied, for instance). Despite my efforts to stop it, the PC wakes up during the night (something that also occurred by default with 8, but was straightforward to prevent). When told to hibernate, the PC immediately reawakens from hibernation and must be asked to hibernate again before it will go away. Help and Support is practically non-existent - most of the built-in links to MS's on-line support are broken in one way or another - and third-party support via forums and so on is too often characterised by ignorance, superstition and fumbling around. This last comment is not a swipe at the well-intentioned folk who try to help, but rather at the support void that MS has created. And the added-value innovations like Cortana are so annoying that I have generally disabled all of them.

Other than that, Windows 10 is a technological marvel.
2016/01/15 10:26:04
JonD
kennywtelejazz

I'm not alone in that feeling. There are people in this very thread and all throughout the whole Cakewalk community that are still using Win 7 . Many of them have absolutely no desire whatsoever to use Win 8 .1 .

Kenny

Ouch.  Fair enough.  I missed the part about you not liking the OS (. 
2016/01/16 03:26:07
kennywtelejazz
JonD
kennywtelejazz

Kenny

Ouch.  Fair enough.  I missed the part about you not liking the OS (. 

Hello JonD ,

As far as I'm concerned it's all good . There is accord between Us .  We are in Harmony .

all the best ,

Kenny

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account