• Computers
  • Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? (p.7)
2016/01/16 10:25:51
JonD
ChristopherM
Once I had added Classic Start Menu to Windows 8 (then 8.1), I found it to be an excellent OS - that is, reliable and largely unobtrusive.

+1
I just realized I took for granted that some folks never used Classic shell.  I completely forgot about metro because I never see it anymore - lol.  No wonder some folks hate Win8/8.1!
2016/01/16 10:29:05
JonD
kennywtelejazz

Hello JonD ,
 As far as I'm concerned it's all good . There is accord between Us .  We are in Harmony .
 all the best ,
 Kenny

Hey Kenny,
Yeah, we're cool.
Cheers,
Jon
2016/01/16 12:36:09
gmp
JonD
ChristopherM
Once I had added Classic Start Menu to Windows 8 (then 8.1), I found it to be an excellent OS - that is, reliable and largely unobtrusive.

+1
I just realized I took for granted that some folks never used Classic shell.  I completely forgot about metro because I never see it anymore - lol.  No wonder some folks hate Win8/8.1!

Metro was the thing I hated most about Win 8.1 and I went to Classic shell also. What idiot came up with Metro? I was appalled that MS didn't care enough to give us the  old start button option despite an avalanche of complaints
2016/01/16 17:12:36
gmp
I used Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to make a DVD of Win 10. I can easily either choose do do the update or a clean install and also use the DVD for recovery console, etc. Tenforums says I can do what I want, make a dual boot system of Win 10 and Win 8.1 and revert back to earlier Win 8.1 images if needed, do a clean install of Win 10 or anything I was asking here in this forum.

All of this without the 30 day deadline. The 30 day deadline seems to apply to the rollback feature you can choose in Control Panel. At this point I can see there's no risk. I can even years later boot to Win 8.1 to check settings, or run a project that was started years ago that is not working right in Win 10.

I'm not sure exactly when I'll make the plunge but I'll report back to this post and see if it goes as smoothly I it appears right now. I'd say upgrading to Win 10 is a no lose proposition, as long as a user protects themselves from unknown issues by saving an image file or dual booting.

http://www.tenforums.com/...uation.html#post536142
2016/01/20 03:00:36
gmp
I installed Win 10 on my Win 7 internet computer. The dual boot works just fine between Win 7 and Win 10. I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 and for now I see under Control Panel / System that Win 10 is not activated. I haven't as yet gotten any prompts to activate it. I assume after 30 days I'll get a notice about the activation I suppose.

Later I'll upgrade my DAW to Win 10
2016/01/20 13:19:54
gmp
Strangely the 2nd time I checked my Windows activation a few minutes later it showed it was. Not sure why it said not activated.

So far this is only my internet computer not my DAW and Live Mail was a huge problem getting fixed in Win 10. Live Mail is a quirky program so maybe it's mostly at fault. The dual boot helped figuring out what to do to fix it. Also Firefox kept showing blank tabs, I had to reinstall it.
2016/02/20 13:48:52
gmp
It's been a month and 3 days since I upgraded my internet computer Win 7 to Win 10 and I just dual booted to Win 7 and back again to Win 10, and it's fine.

In the MS support area I see that they say after the 30 days if you want to even reinstall Win 7 from scratch all you need is the product code (or key?). And you can build an install DVD from the Media creation tool

I'm sure that's really nice for those that bought pre-packed computers with no Windows install DVD. This should be encouraging to anyone on the fence about upgrading - it's a no lose proposition and this free upgrade won't be available after July.

Very soon I'll upgrade my DAW Win 8.1 to Win 10.
2016/02/21 08:12:41
97teledlx
Did not realize that you have the option to change your mind and revert back to windows 7 in addition to creating a disk to reinstall. I have a win 7 laptop with a bad hard drive. I have to look into this. Thanks for this post!
2016/02/21 08:14:54
97teledlx
I should at best back up the wim in the recovery partition if it is possible.
2016/02/21 14:36:52
gmp
Before upgrading to Win 10 definitely cover your butt, by at minimum doing an image file backup. I found out with Win 10 that Acronis was not compatible. Most are using the free Macrium Reflect. So many in the Win 10 forum are using it and I think it's great. Just as good as Acronis.  http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
Once you have an image of your Win 7 HD, go ahead and put a HD in and restore the image to that HD and then you’ll have a dual boot system by just choosing which HD to boot during boot up. At that point I’d say upgrade to Win 10, since you’ll be covered by the dual boot system, if things go haywire with Win 10
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account