• Computers
  • Sony TV as monitor (WORKING) (p.2)
2016/02/10 05:41:37
ston
Does the computer give you some kind of indication that it knows it's connected to the TV?

What options do you see under 'rclick desktop->graphics options->output to'?

I can't see any obvious reason why the computer can't drive the TV at 1920x1080.  The HDMI spec has changed a bit over time, but only to add extensions as I understand it.
2016/02/10 06:49:06
tomixornot
Not sure if a change of HDMI cable may help.. if it's VGA cable, there are some that does not implement the pin connection correctly. Once I got a longer VGA cable and my system can't do hand shake with the monitor to get it's intended resolution. When I did a pin test with a volt meter, it shows one pin is not connected. Replacing it with the original shorter cable solved the problem (did a volt meter test to confirm all pins are connected).
2016/02/10 11:46:05
ampfixer
If Sony had a forum like this one I would be up and running by now. I have tried 2 HMDI cables. They both work with a monitor but not a TV. I've checked the manuals and they always show the computer connected to the TV with a VGA cable, so it's possible that Sony didn't think people would connect a PC with an HDMI cable. The computer identifies the Sony TV as a monitor and certain sections of the TV that are only active with a computer are turned on when I connect the PC. Everything is aware of everything else, it just won't work.

Maybe time to cap this discussion, I'm out of options. Thanks for sharing your ideas.
2016/02/10 12:15:11
tomixornot
I'll give it one more shot.. (now that I recalled).. when I connect via HDMI (if your driver is Radeon, not sure about Nvidia) the screen got shrunk a bit and I need to open up the display driver option and uncheck (or check) a "scaling" option. Doing so enable full screen. That might as well be the case.

If you're using VGA - do test all pins with a volt tester - this was a huge problem for me till I get the right cable.
2016/02/10 15:27:48
slartabartfast
There is mention here about activating the second display in Windows to get HDMI to work. Sounds odd, but might be worth a try.
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/tech-tips-and-tricks/dave-taylor-hdmi-article.html

2016/02/10 18:21:18
ampfixer
Thank you all.

I now have it working. It's not using the HDMI but the post from slartablast got me to check the windows display settings and setting it to have 2 identical displays and not span them allowed my TV to sync the VGA input full screen.

There is the nvidia control panel, windows control panel and the TV control panel. They all affect each other, what a pain. This has been much harder to troubleshoot than any music related issues I've ever had. Thanks again.
2016/02/21 08:48:35
97teledlx
Thanks for this post. I am trying to interface my composite RCA ports on a Samsung tv to communicate with older style db15 pin VGA video card. I know I can purchase a device to do this, but love the challenge.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account