• Computers
  • 360 TB on a single disk that lasts forever (p.2)
2016/02/21 08:34:29
97teledlx
I had it pronounce my professors name. He was very impressed. I received an A! The hard part was writing the paper on operation, component, and theory. Lol :-)
2016/02/21 13:40:54
ampfixer
History will show that the most reliable backup and storage of information was achieved using stone tablets. Is there any other medium out there that will allow you to read data after 5,000 years? It seems that the higher the level of technology, the shorter its life span.
2016/02/21 18:35:11
mixmkr
I got an ARP 2600 to say the word "banana".   Does that count?

2016/02/22 01:06:26
tlw
ampfixer
History will show that the most reliable backup and storage of information was achieved using stone tablets. Is there any other medium out there that will allow you to read data after 5,000 years? It seems that the higher the level of technology, the shorter its life span.

Clay tablets, cuts into bone, vellum if it's been somewhere where it won't rot or the ink fade too much. There's a bit of an argument in the UK government/civil servoce at the moment about precisely this. Up to now law passed by Parliament and some other stuff such as important decisions of the Privy Council have been recorded on vellum because it's known to be readable for hundreds of years. Their are many readable records and accounts on vellum in the UK archives going back 800+ years. The debate is whether to move to some other medium, objections to changing being part hidebound (sorry) traditionalists, more seriously that there still isn't anything known for certain to be as long-lasting.

As for modern technology, the rate of change is incredible. Especially in electronics, though the transistor density on chips, and therfore cpu power per core, seems to be reaching the maximum possible limit unless something like quantum computing can be made to work. Not long ago there was a new and significantly better cpu every few years, now computers don't get out of date like they used to. They just get made obselete by software not supporting them any more instead :-/
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account