• Software
  • Anybody use Movavi screen capture software?
2015/02/10 21:38:09
dwardzala
Anybody use this software for video and or screen capture?  Does it work well with Sonar?

Or, on a related note, can anyone recommend a low cost screen video capture software package with editing capabilities?

Thanks in advance.
2015/02/11 20:57:03
WallyG
dwardzala
Anybody use this software for video and or screen capture?  Does it work well with Sonar?

Or, on a related note, can anyone recommend a low cost screen video capture software package with editing capabilities?

Thanks in advance.

http://camstudio.org/ Haven't tried it yet, but it's free. I have a similar need, so maybe someone has a better recommendation.

Walt
2015/02/11 21:59:19
dwardzala
I looked at Camstudio but I didn't get the sense that you could edit with it.  That is a must have as I will probably need to voice over what I show on the screen.

If you try it - let me know via this thread how it works.  I may give Movavi a try this weekend, if they have a trial version.
2015/02/11 22:05:53
mixmkr
I used Bandicam for the screen capture and edit with Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13...which is pretty close to Vegas in many ways.  You can get the core Sony Program for under $50 and Bandicam is about $35.  They've been great for me.  There's a lot of features you can use, in both programs, but you can't edit in Bandicam.
I ONLY use Sonar to record my audio and then sync it with the audio in my camcorder. Therefore in my Sony program I ditch the camcorder audio and use what was recorded in Sonar.  You can also use the Cakewalk FX in Sony Movie Studio too.

I've got examples of both types of videos (camcorder and screen capture) on my Youtube channel.... found in my signature.

edit....also in Bandicam, you can record audio thru your computer as well and save the audio as a separate .wav file if you'd like, not mixed in with the video.  Typically, I'll do this on my screen capture vids, to give me more control if I might need it.
2015/02/13 16:06:22
WallyG
dwardzala

Thanks in advance.

Dave,

I just purchased/installed Movavi Screen Capture Software off of Amazon for $29.95 plus tax. I didn't need any video editing capabilities, since I have Power Director Suite for that purpose.

Very easy to install and use. It will copy anything on the screen and also record the audio at the same time. 

Hope this is helpful.

Walt
2015/02/13 17:45:44
dwardzala
Thanks for the info Walt.  I was going to work on this tonight myself.

2015/02/15 19:20:56
dwardzala
So I bought the software this weekend.  The screen capture utility is ok.  It doesn't play well with Sonar, if you are actually trying to do anything with audio in sonar.  Its also a little quirky in that you can't set the audio recording level until you actually start recording.

The editor on the other hand, sucks.  You have to split videos in a separate utility from the editor and, relative to sonar, it is very unintuitive.

The upload utility is decent.

I haven't use the screen shot utility.

I am disappointed, I probably could have gotten the same level of screen recording software for much less and then spent the balance on an actual editor.
2015/02/15 19:46:28
TerraSin
Open Broadcaster is what I use for recording my desktop. Seems to work well.
2015/02/16 11:46:37
WallyG
dwardzala
So I bought the software this weekend.  The screen capture utility is ok.  It doesn't play well with Sonar, if you are actually trying to do anything with audio in sonar.  Its also a little quirky in that you can't set the audio recording level until you actually start recording.

The editor on the other hand, sucks.  You have to split videos in a separate utility from the editor and, relative to sonar, it is very unintuitive.

The upload utility is decent.

I haven't use the screen shot utility.

I am disappointed, I probably could have gotten the same level of screen recording software for much less and then spent the balance on an actual editor.

Dave,

Sorry it's not working out for you. I used it over the weekend on a project I'm working on and had very good performance. I just purchased the $29.95 version since I didn't need the editor.
I tried it with Sonar and did get audio, but Movavi can't keep up with the moving time line, even when I change the frame rate to 60. I did move the mouse cursor around the screen in a fairly fast figure 8 and it was able to record that.

Walt
PS, Just for giggles I opened up Power Director (a fairly powerful video editor) and played a video I had recorded. I then recorded it with Movavi. Copied it perfectly.

2015/02/16 12:32:06
dwardzala
The screen recorder part worked ok - and I got a good video showing how to do something in Sonar, but it struggled (even got BSOD) when trying to record audio in Sonar and record the video of the screen.  I may try to connect a second interface to capture the audio in Movavi which will let Sonar use my main interface for processing its audio.

The editor is part that I am most disappointed in.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account