• Computers
  • Microsoft getting more aggressive about pushing Windows 10?
2015/10/15 17:06:07
Mitch_I
I ran Windows updates today on my Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 computers. Normally I just accept the required updates and click Install, but I happened to look a the Optional section and in both cases I noticed that Windows 10 was there, with the box checked by default. I think this is relevant:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/10/windows-10-upgrade-installing-automatically-on-some-windows-7-8-systems/

Anyway, I'm glad I noticed this, because I'm not ready for Windows 10. I have at least one big non-music program, printer and scanner drivers, and two paid-for utilities that apparently won't work after I upgrade. I'll upgrade eventually, but I need more preparation first.

Mitch I.
2015/10/16 06:48:42
fireberd
That KB has resurfaced.  Hide it again, until you are ready to upgrade. 

I've upgraded and even some very old Windows XP games still work in Win 10.
2015/10/16 14:55:26
jbow
Thanks for the heads up. I am going to wait until spring to download the update. I guess... can you download it and install it later and it still be free or do you have to install it? I'm not too worried about it. There have been minimal hiccups on my laptop. I'm hoping by April or so everything will be running smooth (smoother).
Have you noticed that MS has started making laptops? They are expensive, most over 2k but I bet Dell, HP, and other computer manufacturers don't like it much. At least they aren't competitive pricewise... yet. I think MS intends to become another Apple if the government doesn't stop them. Of course, that will open up other opportunities for other people... but people already in the boat will be pulling the ladders up!!

J
2015/10/19 13:31:21
kevinwal
I've read that MS has identified these issues of persistent updates as a defect and is working on a fix. I can't remember where I read it, but I do know that whatever the behavior, they had no intent to force people to upgrade. It's been quite an embarrassment for what has been a really high quality upgrade.
2015/10/19 13:42:05
kevinwal
jbow
Thanks for the heads up. I am going to wait until spring to download the update. I guess... can you download it and install it later and it still be free or do you have to install it? I'm not too worried about it. There have been minimal hiccups on my laptop. I'm hoping by April or so everything will be running smooth (smoother).
Have you noticed that MS has started making laptops? They are expensive, most over 2k but I bet Dell, HP, and other computer manufacturers don't like it much. At least they aren't competitive pricewise... yet. I think MS intends to become another Apple if the government doesn't stop them. Of course, that will open up other opportunities for other people... but people already in the boat will be pulling the ladders up!!

J

MS has always had challenges with the big hardware partners not embracing new or improved (or fixed) technology fast enough to get it into the hands of developers in time to be competitive. Dell and HP have carved out their own markets and their agendas are sometimes at odds with MS's own vision. I think that many  partners balked at the investments needed to compete with Apple with Windows 8 in the consumer space so MS decided that they needed their own offering to show what the OS could really do with the right hardware. The Surface line's success seems to have encouraged them to do more.
2015/10/19 18:06:07
Doktor Avalanche
Not to be a conspiracy theorist but Window 8.1 has become very unstable for me after running the latest windows update... Hmmm. Anyway that's what backups are for..
2015/10/19 21:30:42
lawajava
Just upgraded to Win 10. Smooth so far! Sonar and my audio interfaces work. Sonar seems to open quicker. So far I'm not regretting it.
2015/10/22 17:50:15
jbow
I've not had any problems with 8.1, thankfully. My DAW is very lean. I think the only thing I have added other than what Studiocat put on it is Dropbox (and of course Sonar updates and related third party VST stuff). The thought of allowing Windows 10 on my DAW makes me REALLY nervous. I'm sure it will either be smooth and wonderful.. or a nightmare.
It's always something. I wish I could do a double boot on it and maybe I can but I don't know how. I just click buttons and turn knobs. I am a guitarist disguised as a producer. Usually frustrated more than satisfied. The games I like are Pinball, and pool... I never quite got into the new stuff like foosball or Pac Man.. though I do know how to play Pac Man. I tried a role playing game once. Myst... I NEVER got off the island.
I apologize for the "thread drift" but someone has to do it and I seem to be really good at it, lol.

So, since I have gone so far off subject does anyone know if there is a good Castle Wolfenstein game, just a simple first person shooter game... maybe I should buy a PS4..??

SO... W-10 scares me. I know nothing about code or anything like that.

Back on subject.
1> Can I download W-10 and not install it? Can I install in a way so that I can have a dual boot machine?
2> Is it worth it to buy Enterprise W-10 so that I can control updates?
3> I saw a program somewhere, not MS, that claims to give the ability to give the user more control over updates in W-10 Personal. I'll try to look it up.
4> Is anyone using W-10 with SPLAT, an Alesis keyboard controller, an Alesis Controller pad,
 a Roland Octa-Capture, a Line6 Toneport UX-2, and a Frontier Tranzport? I think that covers the most of it. The rest I can make work somehow if I need to.

Then a Wolfenstein!!

I may try loading MYST to see if I can get off the island... instead of just wander down the path, to the pavilion, and around the well...

J
2015/10/24 15:26:23
Doktor Avalanche
Doktor Avalanche
Not to be a conspiracy theorist but Window 8.1 has become very unstable for me after running the latest windows update... Hmmm. Anyway that's what backups are for..

Well I fixed my issue using DISM and SFC. The component store got corrupted probably from a improper shutdown. All is well again.
2015/10/24 15:32:43
Doktor Avalanche
jbow
1> Can I download W-10 and not install it? Can I install in a way so that I can have a dual boot machine?
2> Is it worth it to buy Enterprise W-10 so that I can control updates?

1. MS claim you are not licensed for dual boot. I cry wolf here licenses have always been about per machine. It works anyway for me and I have seperate license keys. If you do it make sure you do a full backup. On your new dual boot operating system install 8.1 first then upgrade to 10 which will give you another license key. You can't go directly to Win10.

2) Buy Professional.

Ta.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account