2014/11/30 00:59:26
AndyDavis
If I cycle the power on a USB MIDI device, the process to get Sonar to reopen the device driver is pretty arcane.

Due to an interaction between my motherboard and my drum brain (Megadrum FWIW) that is too tedious to get into, I need to cycle the brain after every boot of the machine.  Unfortunately, I usually remember to do this after I have started Sonar and I have to deal with wonky dialogs and the clicking about needed to get Sonar and the brain playing nicely again.

In Studio One, I open Options->External Devices, select Megadrum and hit Reconnect.

It would be nice if Sonar could handle this a bit more gracefully.  Let the use case be that the user is working on a tune and has a USB Keyboard controller that is accidentally unplugged.
2014/12/01 11:08:27
Scoot
Agreed, I have 3 USB ports,
Soundcard
Fan base and mouse
Nanopad

When I want to put a file on a USB drive I disconnect the Nanopad. Later I turn on sonar and realise I forgot to plug the nanopad back in. If I have been doing something under a blank setting, I then have to save it, just to plug the nanopad back in.

The other day my soundcard was recognised on midi, but not on audio, so I had to turn off sonar and re-connect the soundcard
2014/12/07 06:44:05
robert_e_bone
I think some of that may have to do with how Windows approaches USB-connected devices, but yeah - it would be nice if that would work better.

Bob Bone

2015/03/04 06:57:55
Kamikaze
My issue here with sleeping my laptop would be easier with a way for Sonar to re-scan for Midi and Audio Devices, when my Soundcard is awoken
http://forum.cakewalk.com...-m3134182.aspx#3185433

Also Laptops are generally short on outputs, my 3 share mouse, PadKontrol and soundcard. I would be nice to be able to swap over USB devices without closing Sonar down.
2015/03/04 08:50:17
BobF
Good suggestion!

This is the first time I've tried this since X3 or SPlat.  After responding to this, I noticed Sonar running and my Graphite 49 switched off.

I powered up the G49 and SPlat popped up a dialog asking if I wanted the device added to Sonar, with a warning that the transport would be stopped if it happened to be running.

I selected OK and everything worked great.

I'm leaving my vote in case this isn't robust ... this sure is a refreshing from the old days.

2015/09/03 05:20:46
Adq
When I power on my Korg PadKontrol (USB) with Sonar running, I have no message, and I must restart Sonar. Is it normal? Why some devices are recognized and some require restart? Does anybody know about it?
2015/09/03 05:32:22
mettelus
I have always had it prompt, but may take several seconds. Even though it is recognized, I will often close/open SONAR to ensure routing isn't altered. I have had weird routing issues that have trained me to start SONAR last.
2015/09/03 05:35:08
Doktor Avalanche
robert_e_bone
I think some of that may have to do with how Windows approaches USB-connected devices, but yeah - it would be nice if that would work better.

Bob Bone

I don't see issues with other windows software. It's basically because Sonar does not handle it gracefully.
2015/09/03 06:18:41
Adq
mettelus
I have always had it prompt, but may take several seconds.

If I add virtual midi driver I have message, if I switch PadKontrol on, I have nothing.
mettelus
Even though it is recognized, I will often close/open SONAR to ensure routing isn't altered. I have had weird routing issues that have trained me to start SONAR last.

Yeah, it's just crazy, how Sonar handles midi devices.
You can't enable and disable USB devices, or change Midi Input Devices settings, or all your projects would be messed up. It's awful, disgusting...
It seems that I should buy ac adapter and use midi cable, as I do with my midi keyboard, or leave PadKontrol always on, what I don't like.
And that is because Sonar's support for USB Midi devices is dysfunctional.
2015/09/03 08:08:42
BobF
I'm not saying that Sonar couldn't use a little improvement here, but part of the challenge is the way Windows manages USB devices.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account