2015/12/02 12:51:32
jbraner
I can't remember if this has been discussed or not - but can I suggest a renewal for SONAR updates only, and skip the "content".
Personally, I have no need for the content. I still want to "own" my software, and have no problem with the annual (or monthly) renewal - but I'd rather pay half as much, and just get the SONAR updates.

The updates don't necessarily have to come out every month (at the end of the month) either - they can just come out when they're ready.

Would that be hard to implement?
2015/12/02 14:28:28
azslow3
This question can be rephrased differently: is it possible to switch from Platinum membership to Artist membership, keeping previous Platinum content working in new Artist?

As I understand, core engine is the same. So Artist membership should effectively include Sonar updates. "Compare Versions" shows that the difference (except ProChannel) is in external plug-ins and the content. After upfront or 12 monthly a customer theoretically payed for all that. So, if there is no need to get updates for that external staff (which is normally not updated in any case) and no need to get more external features, that could be the way to go.

I can not remember any post with the list of what is going to working out of the box in that scenario. Parts which obviously will work: loops/other audio content, Melodyne, AD, DP and Rapture. There will be no pro-channel. Either other plug-ins are going to work is a good question (there was some discussion that Cakewalk old plug-ins work in other hosts, but third party plug-ins specially designed for Sonar are not). May be someone can check...
2015/12/02 15:35:33
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
azslow3
This question can be rephrased differently: is it possible to switch from Platinum membership to Artist membership, keeping previous Platinum content working in new Artist?

I don't think that was the question ...

I think with "content" John refers to stuff like Brian Hardgrove collection, Craig Anderton libraries, etc. and not downgrading to Artist which would mean no drum replacer, proChannel, etc.

So it's a legitimate question and I'd also be interested in the answer ...

2015/12/02 16:49:46
jbraner
Yeah - I think it would be much more straightforward to have the "full fat" Platinum - and skip the loops, Rhapsody Pro, PC plugs, Anderton things etc.

They could even charge us for some "content" stuff (like the new Rhapsody thing...)
2015/12/02 16:54:54
azslow3
FreeFlyBertl
azslow3

I don't think that was the question ...

I think with "content" John refers to stuff like Brian Hardgrove collection, Craig Anderton libraries, etc. and not downgrading to Artist which would mean no drum replacer, proChannel, etc.

So it's a legitimate question and I'd also be interested in the answer ...

Lets be realistic, OP has mentioned "but I'd rather pay half as much, and just get the SONAR updates".

Half the price is Professional. And the difference between Pro and Plat is Drum replaces, Vocal Sync, some plug-ins (you already have since X and may be before) and the content.

So, Plat without content is somewhere in between Pro and Plat. My guess is that Drum replacer and Vocal Sync was at last as expensive to develop as prepare collections and libraries. That means the price will lean toward Plat price from the mean. And so, it can be less then 25% saving. For that Cakewalk should establish yet another version "Ripped Platinum" and I guess the difference with Platinum will be hard to understand for potential customers.

But who wants save some money can downgrade, and that is possible without any changes. It just should be clear which part of your "owned" product you can continue to use after such action, can you upgrade later and what is the penalty, how long "owning Plat" is counted for discounted prolongation (X1 -> Plat was not the same as X3 -> Plat, but Plat is not numbered...).

2015/12/02 17:10:58
jbraner
meanwhile - back to the original question....

EDIT - we can call Drum Replacer a "feature", I'm really talking about paying a little less and skipping the loops, Rhapsody stuff, Anderton stuff, Boz Digital PC stuff - the "content"...

I wasn't getting in to minute detail - Cakewalk can do that

2015/12/02 18:54:51
Kev999
This forum is intended for users to suggest and discuss ideas for program enhancements and (hopefully) it is monitored by CW's software developers. I may be wrong, but I doubt that the people who make the marketing decisions are similarly reading these posts looking for users' ideas on marketing strategies.

On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with discussing the subject. I do like the idea of feature upgrades without bundled stuff. Realistically I don't expect it to happen though.
2015/12/04 17:34:19
Hangdog Cat
Additional renewal level options will just give people more reasons to post as to how they feel ripped off because their renewal level didn't/doesn't include everything they feel entitled to. It's a can of worms which will cause complaints to increase exponentially.

Cakewalk: Don't go there.
2015/12/05 09:39:49
mudgel
I can't see the content we've been given through the Sonar 2015 cycle being valued at anywhere near half the cost of Sonar.
I think Sonar is worth the full amount and the content is just a sweetener on top for Platinum members. There's always plenty of deals going that discount the core program without adding another way to reduce Cakewalk's revenue.
Having seen all the confusion over this last year about different levels of features, pricing, membership etc I don't fancy adding to that by what really amounts to just suggesting another means to pay less. Perhaps Cakewalk should just give Sonar away.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account