• Computers
  • Cat proofing cables, any suggestions
2016/01/30 21:55:57
Kamikaze
Cat's eaten into my only USB A type to B type cable. and he has a go at them all. Any suggestions that don't included maiming  him to stop this?

2016/01/30 23:29:36
bitflipper
You could wrap the cables in flexible plastic conduit, available at any home-improvement store. These are also a great way to tidy up your cable mess. They are most-commonly found in 1" diameter size, but smaller (and larger) sizes are available from electrical supply houses.
2016/01/31 03:24:47
Kamikaze
I've tried covering the cable in some washing up liquid, to see if the taste puts him off. I'll have a look for some cable coverings, but home improvement stores don't exist here. More a section of one street in the city has a row of shops all selling the same stuff, and when you go in they randomly shove items in your face in the vain hope it's what you are looking for, preventing you from actually browsing and finding what you are looking for. I'll have a gander to see what I can fiind

Most of my cables a neatly tied, but he was at the mic lead yesterday, and just moving with my midi sax sends him after the power and midi lead. usb cables are easy to replace, but psu ones are not.
2016/01/31 07:01:54
Karyn
Have you tried closing the door? (with him on the other side)
2016/01/31 07:26:00
mettelus
LOL, Karyn wins the practical application.

Trying something like vinegar may work, since smell is another factor at play. Unfortunately, cats tend to go for anything resembling a string, so if they pounce/attack it, they may be going off of visual more anyway.

Not all cats react to catnip, but that may be another thing to try with a toy you want them to use instead.
2016/01/31 07:44:07
Kamikaze
Studio flat, so the door means shutting him in the bathroom, or in the stair well.

Stacks of toys for him, plenty to chew on, but seems baby teeth love them cables.

2016/01/31 08:47:00
bitflipper
Ah, I forgot you're in Vietnam, sorry. Probably a long way from the nearest Home Depot . But it's probably possible to get it online.

This is the stuff I'm referring to:

(BTW, the above link is in Vietnam)
2016/01/31 09:01:00
Kamikaze
I have a Vietnamese friend who gets stuf from Alibaba, I'll speak to him. Thanks for the search
2016/01/31 10:10:01
FLZapped
Make a cut outs of a cat that is angry and in a fighting posture out of black construction paper and place them around your computer. He should do everything he can to avoid the apparent confrontation.

Something like this:

2016/02/01 06:39:48
ston
Buy him some cheap, dedicated-for-chewing cables?

I have a drawer full of old "cables which came with things and I have absolutely no idea what they're for" which you're welcome to :-)
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account