• Computers
  • Thunderbolt PCI express card for PC (p.2)
2016/02/02 20:52:30
TerraSin
Ahh yes, good point.

My main concern is being able to use a UAD Apollo via Thunderbolt once they finally get Windows drivers out for it so I'm trying to find the best solution for that.
2016/02/02 21:50:11
BRuys
TerraSin
Ahh yes, good point.

My main concern is being able to use a UAD Apollo via Thunderbolt once they finally get Windows drivers out for it so I'm trying to find the best solution for that.

Don't hold your breath.  Nobody is pushing Thunderbolt on the PC platform.  None of the current MOTU cards are supported and PC users are stuck with USB2.  I highly doubt that proper TB support will ever exist on the Windows platform.  The PC would will jump straight to USB 3.1 and bypass TB altogether.  Apple paid Intel for TB exclusivity for the first couple of years and then when it did come to PC, it was not the same architecture Apple had - TB was connected via chipset rather direct PCIe lanes from the processor, so PCs got a watered down version of Thunderbolt.
2016/02/02 23:11:14
kitekrazy1
Jim Roseberry
That ASRock AIC Thunderbolt 2 card has been "available" for a good while.
It's out of stock a lot...   
That's not going to provide Thunderbolt 3... nor the "PCIe via Thunderbolt" drivers that are necessary to reap the rewards of Thunderbolt.

BTW, USB 3.1 has bandwidth of 32Gb/Sec... which is close to Thunderbolt 3's 40Mb/Sec.

This is why I'm thinking Thunderbolt will not be popular among Window users. 
2016/02/03 10:37:53
Jim Roseberry
It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

We don't need that kind of bandwidth for audio...
If we have PCIe level ability to set ASIO buffer size down to 16-samples, that will suffice for 99.9% of all users.

For a machine with PCIe slots, it's kinda re-inventing the wheel...  
2016/02/03 12:12:02
TerraSin
BRuys
Don't hold your breath.  Nobody is pushing Thunderbolt on the PC platform.  None of the current MOTU cards are supported and PC users are stuck with USB2.  I highly doubt that proper TB support will ever exist on the Windows platform.  The PC would will jump straight to USB 3.1 and bypass TB altogether.  Apple paid Intel for TB exclusivity for the first couple of years and then when it did come to PC, it was not the same architecture Apple had - TB was connected via chipset rather direct PCIe lanes from the processor, so PCs got a watered down version of Thunderbolt.

We'll see what happens. UAD knows they have a Windows market but they've not made much move towards it. With the new Apollo Twin for Windows now out, we'll see how much it cracks it open and if they would be willing to make more drivers. I'm thinking about picking one up at the moment since my VS-700R is pretty much done on Windows 10 and it would also give me access to use UADs plugins.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account