• Software
  • Wave's Abby Roads Vinyl (p.2)
2018/02/23 06:19:48
Kamikaze
I hadn't paid any real attention to Waves, try not to go down anther rabbit hole. But the omni Channel sucked me in.I also nearly got sucked into the plate as a result, but managed to hold off.

XLN tend to have a sale at the end of March, I'll wait it out. The scope seems far greater and with a bigger range from gentle to nuts. The record stop,crackles and dust arn't as so key as the distartion, which I can sit and mess with SSDR for other valid subtle tones.

2018/02/23 06:22:03
Jeff Evans
The Abbey Road Plates reverbs are definitely worth having.  Even if you have a few other reverbs.  What I found really nice about them is that they have a rather distinctive sound.  More than likely not like any other reverbs you may already have.  They are sublime on vocals for example.  Other reverbs for example which I have such as Reverberate, Waves H Reverb and even Studio One's Open Air, even with all of those loaded up with great plate IR's they still don't sound quite the same as Abbey Road plates. 

I am not that impressed with Waves Vinyl either.  I have come from that whole era and even gone through producing LP's for clients and getting them cut and tested etc.  The whole process drove me nuts actually. That process of converting a great stereo mix into the cutting lathe etc and out the other end is basically inferior to anything we have now.  So my vibe is why go backwards and all that.

Yes I agree certain stages of Waves Vinyl can add in a certain mojo to a sound for sure but so can many other things too.  For me Waves Omni Channel can do a lot compared to Vinyl.  Vinyl is probably really good for converting a really modern pristine crisp transient mix into the sound of an LP record mix from the late 60's.  I am not particularly interested in doing that.  I produce a lot of electronic music for example and it sounds way better now than ever before.  Listen to Jarre's Oxygen 3 and compare that to Oxygen 1 as an example.  Oxygen 3 just sounds way better to me.  (Oxygen 2 sounds just a little better than Oxygen 1 (he did that on purpose) but still improved, but Oxygen 3 is another story all together. He just pulled out all the stops. He took digital to the max!!)

Vinyl is still probably worth $29 though just for a few features here and there. Not the original price though.

2018/02/23 14:04:13
michaelhanson
Thanks everyone for your input.  I guess I am still on the fence with this product.  Maybe I just need to demo it, but I am short on time right now.  
2018/02/23 16:15:30
abacab
Get the AR Plates.  You will not regert it.
2018/02/24 13:15:46
michaelhanson
I've had the Plates for a while.  Also the TG12345 Console.  Excellent plug ins.  I have been tempted by Redd and some of the other AR plugs as well.  
2018/02/24 16:11:13
LAGinz25
Other than the Kings Microphones, I love all of the Abbey Road stuff.
2018/02/28 14:51:41
Grem
LAGinz25

Yep
2018/02/28 15:01:52
BassDaddy
Grem
LAGinz25

Yep

Big, fat +1!
2018/02/28 15:36:02
Grem
sharke
grem 
Best feature is the 'Slow Down' mode. Works great, sounds awesome, and I just love to play with it. Haven't come across a use for it yet though! LOL But I love to hear it!! 

Haven't found a use for it? It's as if you've never had two sections of disparate music to join together with no real idea of how to get from A to B....

Yeah I can see it doing that very well!! Just not come across that in my music yet. But you have given me some ideas!! Thanks : )
2018/02/28 21:05:42
Jeff Evans
I opted for this in the end especially at the sale price.  Not sure if I would spend the full amount on a plugin like this but yes it is very cool indeed.

All the noise and crackle and clicks can be turned off and you an just make use of what certain stages of converting to  vinyl will do to your sounds.  You don't have to run your whole mix though this either.  Think parts of your mix. 

The slow down feature is rather excellent and can be used in a number of ways.  Sound design comes to mind especially once the speeds get incredibly slow for example.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account